Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

Had to put this clip in from a report by Jason Burt on the yanited game ...   “..  United who somehow are still in fifth in what is such a disappointing league in terms of quality below the top three. “.   Below the top three ! ..  that’s us !!!   Top three !! ...   being  bracketed up there with Man Citeh and Liverpool ....    high praise and recognition indeed!!  ....   we seem to have turned a corner with the press ...   who’d have ever thunk it ! ..  little ol’ Leicester ...    still grinning now and I read it half an hour ago ! ...   :)

Oh ..  and I left the Yanited player ratings in at the bottom ...   how many Mr Maguire ? ...   4 !!!! ....   :crylaugh:

45F13B76-D652-4CA7-AF16-65E20E58A18A.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I mean, teams like Burnley play like Burnley because if they don't there's a very good chance they end up like Norwich or Aston Villa (only reason Villa aren't where Norwich are is Grealish). It's no fun playing them but I don't begrudge their playstyle because it's the one thing keeping them in this league.

It's like the time West Ham drew at Chelsea and Mourinho was moaning about them playing a negative style when in reality if they'd gone toe to toe they'd have lost. It's on the 'top' teams to break these 'lesser' teams down and if they can't they should be looking at themselves rather than slating the oppositions style. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FOXSE said:

I would prefer that than it being disallowed by a linesman's flag.

But the linesman hadn't flagged but they still have to check it.

53 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

vY15KUY.jpg

This is genuinely absurd! Has the league ever been so tight this late into the season? Newcastle could conceivably win two games in a row and be 5th depending on how other fixtures go!

The money available to most teams in the prem has improved the poorer teams squads greatly and in times gone by you used to have your academy players on the bench unless you was a big club the playing field is alot more level now days.

If Liverpool wasn't in the form they are in pretty much unstoppable the there would be title race on as well 

How times change

Just now, FOXSE said:

In a no VAR world, he would have flagged. In real time it looked well offside.

Not necessarily I believe they're told to flag anyway, the linesman obviously didn't think it was offside in this instance but they check every goal even the most obvious ones.

1 minute ago, davieG said:

Not necessarily I believe they're told to flag anyway, the linesman obviously didn't think it was offside in this instance but they check every goal even the most obvious ones.

The goal goes straight in from off side. It's getting checked anyway. Without VAR I think just flagged off. But all hypothetical I guess...

4 minutes ago, FOXSE said:

The goal goes straight in from off side. It's getting checked anyway. Without VAR I think just flagged off. But all hypothetical I guess...

We can debate this all day but the bottom line is VAR is affecting the celebration of goals and when it takes forever for them to check it the moment has more or less passed. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

It's like the time West Ham drew at Chelsea and Mourinho was moaning about them playing a negative style when in reality if they'd gone toe to toe they'd have lost. It's on the 'top' teams to break these 'lesser' teams down and if they can't they should be looking at themselves rather than slating the oppositions style. 

Funnily enough, that was West Ham under Sam Allardyce - another dinosaur hoofball merchant. 

Nobody is saying go to Anfield snd play attacking 433. But try to play something that resembles football. Dyche, Allardyce, Pulis play the same anti football whether its against Liverpool or Southampton. No innovation, no progressive tactics. 

14 minutes ago, The Bear said:

No reason why not. We went there and played 3-4-3 and could easily have gotten something but for a ridiculously tight offside call. 

I agree with the good sides. But limited teams like Palace and Newcastle and Burnley cant play football because they havent been coached. 

50 minutes ago, The Bear said:

No reason why not. We went there and played 3-4-3 and could easily have gotten something but for a ridiculously tight offside call. 

We went and played a weird 433 at the start of the year and lost due to an incredibly soft penalty

3 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Had to put this clip in from a report by Jason Burt on the yanited game ...   “..  United who somehow are still in fifth in what is such a disappointing league in terms of quality below the top three. “.   Below the top three ! ..  that’s us !!!   Top three !! ...   being  bracketed up there with Man Citeh and Liverpool ....    high praise and recognition indeed!!  ....   we seem to have turned a corner with the press ...   who’d have ever thunk it ! ..  little ol’ Leicester ...    still grinning now and I read it half an hour ago ! ...   :)

Oh ..  and I left the Yanited player ratings in at the bottom ...   how many Mr Maguire ? ...   4 !!!! ....   :crylaugh:

45F13B76-D652-4CA7-AF16-65E20E58A18A.jpeg

Bloody hell, Shaw and Lingard had good games!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, davieG said:

Even fans aren't celebrating goals, our first last night was very subdued and by the time the VAR approved it the moment had past.

On 19/04/2019 at 11:25, KingsX said:

A perspective from American football, because we’ve been there … Penalties are enforced after-the-fact, and wipe huge plays off the board in every game.  Of course that dampens the experience.  The price paid to have (fallible) officials doing their best to enforce the rules.  At least we have flags thrown as the infraction is observed.  It becomes instinctual to scan the field for "laundry on the lawn" before you let loose to celebrate that third-and-29 conversion.

Now take (world) football.  One goal often makes the entire difference.  The whole significance of your afternoon crammed into one moment.  So delays and overrules will really screw with the fan experience.  But it must be said, errors in awarding goals screw even more with the integrity of the results.

If VAR does work to cut the number of obvious errors on scoring plays, it will be accepted as too much of a net plus to go back.  Pray it doesn’t become just another layer of human error.

VAR will get smoother, but there will always be infuriatingly long delays over 50/50 calls.  Our problem is ever-increasing use.  “Catch or no catch” ten times a game, mind-numbing ultra-slo-mo replay repetition while pundits argue over that blurry tenth of an inch where the ball might have hit the turf.

Hate to say I told you so ...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Hate to say I told you so ...

I guess the frustration is greater when there has been no official indication of a rule being broken.

If a flag has been waved or a whistle blown then checked then that's not a big problem in fact you get the celebration if it's overuled. A seemingly legitimate goal that is then laboriously check and found to be ok is enjoyment lost.

I guess we have to learn to accept it as the inevitably consequence of televised football.