Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

James Tarkowski

Just now, Tuna said:

I think if this was happening, we'd know by now. We're going with Evans, Morgan, Soyuncu and Benkovic.

One, I think it will, based on no more than what I read into Burnley's attempts to sign a CB over the last few days (remember they have Ben Gibson behind Mee and Tarkowski already).

Two, even if it doesn't, I bet there'll  be at least one incoming tomorrow that trumps your 'we'd know by now' line.

You could be right though!

32 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

Oh dear, sorry to hear that. Weather related? Are you near Whaley?

My post wasn't of course. It was more Apple and Pitchfork related... 

Only weather related inasmuch as I had taken a weird route to try and get to Manchester as a result of the closures, and I made a mistake at an unfamiliar junction. 

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Tuna said:

I think if this was happening, we'd know by now. We're going with Evans, Morgan, Soyuncu and Benkovic.

Just have to hope Evans stay fit all season if that is the case. I think Soyucnu will do well but it does leave us light if Evans gets injured or one of Benkovic/Soyuncu doesn't live up to their hype

• Like 3

3 hours ago, messerschmitt said:

If we bring in a solid and proven CB to replace HM how do we bring Soyuncu and Benkovic through, presumably one would go on lone and the other would get a few cup games, in a years time we'd still have 2 untried CB's 2 years into their contracts.

Which is why we should have hung on to Maguire especially at this late stage and used rotation to bring them through, letting Maguire go for cheaper (significantly maybe) next summer.

I don’t care if we got £80m the deal simply stinks on our side, the figures hardly add up as it was when you figure a replacement in, Clubs are holding us to ransom (quite rightly, we can’t have it both ways), we have major question marks and we’re much weaker for it all.

People have praised the club in how they handled it all, I’m not so sure, fair play for holding out for what we got but we could have replaced before we sold, got Cahill in and used the scenario I gave as an example above as a stopgap and bringing the youth through but it seems we were too slow on that one.

Edited by Matt

5 minutes ago, Matt said:

Which is why we should have hung on to Maguire especially at this late stage and used rotation to bring them through, letting Maguire go for cheaper (significantly maybe) next summer.

Wasn’t an option I’m afraid ...... you can’t promise a player and then go back on your word - doesn’t go down well in the dressing room and word travels .....

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Wasn’t an option I’m afraid ...... you can’t promise a player and then go back on your word - doesn’t go down well in the dressing room and word travels .....

So the club were bullshitting about a cut off date? Because I struggle to see how that wasn’t surpassed.

Agreement or not I think if a cut off date was set out at the start of the summer I think all parties would have understood/accepted.

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

So the club were bullshitting about a cut off date? Because I struggle to see how that wasn’t surpassed.

Agreement or not I think if a cut off date was set out at the start of the summer I think all parties would have understood/accepted.

The second the player goes on strike, which lets face it saying his heads not right is just about tantamount to that, deadlines sort of go out the window a bit.

Just now, Babylon said:

The second the player goes on strike, which lets face it saying his heads not right is just about tantamount to that, deadlines sort of go out the window a bit.

So he broke our agreement but that's alright, bet he still got his big fat loyalty bonus though.

Either way the club must have knew what was going on, why wasn't work being done putting things in place for replacements before we let him go.

We'd have been better off letting him go earlier in the window for cheaper.

Just now, Matt said:

So he broke our agreement but that's alright, bet he still got his big fat loyalty bonus though.

Either way the club must have knew what was going on, why wasn't work being done putting things in place for replacements before we let him go.

An agreement not on paper is meaningless, if there even was one. Rodgers said we had options so lets wait until the window is actually closed before people whinge about it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Matt said:

If the club actually want a replacement I am sure work was being done but maybe the club we are trying to buy from have had their own problems bringing in their replacement.

26 minutes ago, FoxyPalace.com said:

Manchester United over paid so really does it matter?

Personally I would be going all out on Ake.

Selling Maguire for £80m and replacing him with Ake for £75m would be terrible business. I like Ake and think he'd be a good signing but no way should we over pay just because United did. Regardless of the fee received for Harry, Ake is not worth only £5m less than him. 

1 minute ago, Master Fox said:

Give Bournemouth Dimmi Gray and £55 million cash. Done deal 

Unless we manage to sign another winger, that would leave us short on the wing. Perez, Barnes and Albrighton cos let's be honest, Ghezzal shouldn't be anywhere near the squad. 

18 minutes ago, Ian S said:

If the club actually want a replacement I am sure work was being done but maybe the club we are trying to buy from have had their own problems bringing in their replacement.

Ok, fair point, so why was our problem of not getting a replacement because the club we are trying to buy off had their own problems bringing in their replacement passed onto Man Utd? Knock on effect, or did we not learn from the Drinkwater/Silva debacle of making sure the replacement was in before selling?

And the Cahill option for example was 'no chain'.

18 minutes ago, Babylon said:

An agreement not on paper is meaningless, if there even was one. Rodgers said we had options so lets wait until the window is actually closed before people whinge about it. 

But I was told you couldn't go back on your word....

(That response wasn't aimed at you per se)

Let's see indeed, I just struggle to see it all working out and even if we do get a replacement I don't see even with a £80m deal in the bank it working out worthwhile all things considered.

Edited by Matt