Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

James Tarkowski

So we can close this and the Ake thread then. I'm glad we've got Soyuncu and Benkovic to be fair. Its gonna be a squeaky bum week thanks to the inflated prices of the window. I reckon we'll go abroad for a release clause CB now. Let's hold on for the ride ??

• Like 1

All this from sky, I was lead to believe (mostly from people in here) we’ve had players lined up if Maguire went... now sky are saying we will turn our attentions abroad? 

Poor planning from us or sky guessing...

Edited by lcfceaves
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I’m sure we’ve been doing scouting abroad regardless, probably why the Djene links have come back up. Not saying he’s the one we’re defo after, but probably just shows we have targets elsewhere too. 

I agree but the point I was trying to make is I actually expected after what was being said in here, the dominoes effect would essentially kick in, meaning one was lined up and ready to go...

Sometimes a bit of background reading can open your eyes to a player.

The general view of Burnley as a long-ball outfit meant that the logic behind Gareth Southgate’s decision to hand James Tarkowski a first England call-up last week was not immediately obvious...

Appearances can be deceptive, however, because while the focus for Tarkowski has been on getting the basics right this season, he possesses a pedigree as a passer.

“Maybe some of you have written that I’m an old-fashioned English defender but before I joined Burnley no one ever said those words about me,” the 25-year-old said at St George’s Park on Tuesday. “I was more a ball-playing centre-half, playing out from the back in a Brentford team that took a lot of chances.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/international/how-james-tarkowski-became-a-passing-fancy-for-gareth-southgate-1.3434386

Oldham Athletic Academy manager Tony Philliskirk has paid tribute to James Tarkowski following his call up from England.

“He overcame lots of adversity whilst here, including lots of criticism on the field of play at times. We should be embracing our youth players when they make the step up and when I hear some of the things that have been said and read some of the things on social media and forums that have been thrown at the likes of Tarky, Chris Taylor, Danny Philliskirk, Carl Winchester, Joel Coleman, Neal Eardley, etc it saddens me.

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2018/march/15032018-philliskirk-on-tarkowski/

Tarkowski: I’ll do everything to get England start

“I want to be a part of the team and be playing, but I understand how hard it is just to make the squad never mind make the starting XI. But I will be doing everything I can to impress.

“It is nice to know that the people in charge of picking the teams believe in the player you are and what you are doing.

“I don’t think I am the finished article. I always work hard on my game to improve and, knowing the managers are backing the work I’m doing, it gives you the confidence to go out there and show what you can do.”

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/tarkowski-ill-do-everything-get-england-start

Edited by DJ Barry Hammond
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, lcfceaves said:

All this from sky, I was lead to believe (mostly from people in here) we’ve had players lined up if Maguire went... now sky are saying we will turn our attentions abroad? 

Sky have become that bloke down the pub who has a source or knows an insider to try and add a bit of weight to his bullshit.

2 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

If we could convince Burnley to accept £35m plus add ons, might be worth it in todays market. English Centre back, could displace Maguire when his form goes to pot playing with all the other useless overpriced knob heads at United. 

It would be funny if our replacement for maguire ended up taking his place in the England squad. Nothing against maguire but it would be fun to see the manc twitter meltdown. 

3 hours ago, lcfceaves said:

Did anyone expect anything less? 

Did we we learn from the Drinkwater/Silva debacle of replacing before selling and making sure the deal was over the line first?

First just with the comfort that we have a replacement and to be confident in that replacement (Before someone pipes up no one can say that about Soyuncu/Benkovic we’re going into the unknown with those two) and secondly getting a replacement in before selling may just have been slightly cheaper.

I think far too many people have been shortsighted focusing on pounds signs without seeing the bigger picture and knock on effects.

Edited by Matt

4 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Couple of promising youngsters we should take a look at - Soyuncu and Benkovic.  Both on a free...

That's fine but if we do that people will need to lower their expectations. We will not be a top 9 side playing an inexperienced centre back who maybe prone to a number is errors. 

23 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

That's fine but if we do that people will need to lower their expectations. We will not be a top 9 side playing an inexperienced centre back who maybe prone to a number is errors. 

However playing an experienced centre back who was prone to a number of errors was going to be ok?

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Matt said:

Did we we learn from the Drinkwater/Silva debacle of replacing before selling and making sure the deal was over the line first?

First just with the comfort that we have a replacement and to be confident in that replacement (Before someone pipes up no one can say that about Soyuncu/Benkovic we’re going into the unknown with those two) and secondly getting a replacement in before selling may just have been slightly cheaper.

I think far too many people have been shortsighted focusing on pounds signs without seeing the bigger picture and knock on effects.

Exactly...so Why go for a so called expensive replacement...Lets so what Leicester are good at,trust in the  young investments we already have,and sneek in

a Cover buy,we thought Evans would be!!!!.....With an expensive,over paid replacement,is also going into THAT UNKNOWN...:dunno:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, foxpleasure said:

However playing an experienced centre back who was prone to a number of errors was going to be ok?

Who knows? you would think an experienced centre back should make less errors than a centre back from overseas who hasn't played too much in the English game? I do know that Maguire made errors, and I am sure that Soyuncu has already made a few in the games he has played. 

Personally I would rather loan these younger players out to lower premier league, upper championship teams to get real game time and experience of the English game if we are really serious about being a top side. If however we accept being mediocre and losing a few games due to individual errors without getting on the players backs then fine. Sometimes throwing them in the deep end where expectations are height will be detrimental to the players development. For me its much better for Benko and Soyuncu to get used to the physicality in a lower team with serious consistent games. 

43 minutes ago, Matt said:

The forward planning was Benkovic and Soyuncu, we didn't need both last summer but signed them for this eventuality. We're just missing another CB for me, that's why I say I'll be happy with a Cahill type as a safety net just in case neither of the others steps up. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

The forward planning was Benkovic and Soyuncu, we didn't need both last summer but signed them for this eventuality. We're just missing another CB for me, that's why I say I'll be happy with a Cahill type as a safety net just in case neither of the others steps up. 

I agree to an extent and accept we're going to pay far too much for any of the names being mentioned right now, but it's not like Ake or Tarkowski would be a huge gamble. They both have premier league experience and if we choose to just go with what we have (and a big part of me wants Soyuncu and Benkovic to be given the chance) and we end up losing out on a place in the top 6 by the narrowest of margins (which we can also attribute to the bedding in times of these two defenders) we might find ourselves questioning why we didn't replace Maguire properly when we had the chance.

It's a lot of what ifs, but after the Maguire debacle I really want us to upset the apple cart and end up ahead of some of these so called "big 6" this season, especially United. 

I really think we're almost there. I'd rather we got that winger we want, but a solid defensive centre back partnership is key to a successful season. 

8 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Don’t understand this, we already have a ‘Cahill’ type.... Wes is better than GC imo

8 minutes ago, foxfan92 said:

I agree to an extent and accept we're going to pay far too much for any of the names being mentioned right now, but it's not like Ake or Tarkowski would be a huge gamble. They both have premier league experience and if we choose to just go with what we have (and a big part of me wants Soyuncu and Benkovic to be given the chance) and we end up losing out on a place in the top 6 by the narrowest of margins (which we can also attribute to the bedding in times of these two defenders) we might find ourselves questioning why we didn't replace Maguire properly when we had the chance.

It's a lot of what ifs, but after the Maguire debacle I really want us to upset the apple cart and end up ahead of some of these so called "big 6" this season, especially United. 

I really think we're almost there. I'd rather we got that winger we want, but a solid defensive centre back partnership is key to a successful season. 

There comes a point where you have to give them a run in the team though we didn't sign them to sit on the bench or to be loaned out obviously we signed them as up and coming defenders for the team, so I can't see why we would go and spend 30/40m on another defender, I wonder how Ake and Tarwokski became good players? by playing regularly most likely.

Edited by whoareyaaa

1 minute ago, whoareyaaa said:

There comes a point where you have to give them a run in the team though we didn't sign them to sit on the bench or to be loaned out obviously we signed them as up and coming defenders for the team, so I can't see why we would go and spend 30/40m on another defender, I wonder how Ake and Tarwokski became good players? by playing regularly most likely.

Agree. Only Rodgers will know if they are good enough to make the step up and we need to trust his judgement. 

• Like 1

The longer this goes on the more I'm hoping we place some faith in Benkovic and Soyuncu instead of splashing out. We have a centre back who's already won the SPL and looks a man-mountain. Soyuncu is prone to the odd mistake but has shown that he is incredibly competent as a ball-player. When you look at the likes of Joe Gomez and Stones, the amount of mistakes they made at their early stages has only turned them into stronger players. Signing Tarkowski only pushes them further away from realising their potential here. 

23 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Don’t understand this, we already have a ‘Cahill’ type.... Wes is better than GC imo

It's quite simple, we have 4 centre backs and I prefer to have 5. Rather than spending £50m on someone, lets give the guys we have a shot whilst also having half decent backup who can come in if needed but are unlikely to be expecting to start week in week out. 

43 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I think the forward planning then was to replace Wes and Evans long term.

Agree we should get another CB. Personally for me it’s Tarkowski 

We’ve also got the young Romanian who had a stellar euro u21’s mind