Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
brisfox

Matches that you didn't actually manage to get to.

I booked to go and see England play Holland in Portugal. I booked a flight to Barcelona and a connecting flight to Porto. The plane was so late arriving at Gatwick that it would mean that I would miss my connecting flight to Porto and therefore the game (The airline was a Spanish budget airline called Vueling- don't ever use them). I ended up not getting on the plane at it would have meant spending the next 24 hours flying to and sleeping at airports and not even being able to watch the match on TV. One thing I didn't realise is that if you don't get on a plane, them it is actually pretty hard to get back out of the airport (it took 2 hours to leave). This got me thinking. Have any fellow Foxes ever missed a match or maybe travelled to a game that didn't take place? I remember taking the train to Nottingham for a game against County that was called off an hour before the match due to a frozen pitch but as that was only 30 miles up the road, it hardly counts.

I've mentioned this one before but LCFC v Manu with 37000 packed into Filbert Street for an evening game I was locked out even though I'd left home early to get there. 

Fans sitting on the gates and walls along the Popular Side (East Stand) gave us a running commentary, no TV streams or radio in those days.

It was an Easter game and we'd just drawn with them 2-2 the day before.

We won 4-3 with Ken Keyworh and Denis Law both scoring hat-tricks. It put us top of the League.

Sadly we went on to draw 1 and lose 4 of the last 5 games  and finished 4th and went on to lose to Man U in the FA Cup final.

Fword away the day we snuck into the play-offs due to the fact the club ****ed up and lost record of my P1 status.

Managed to get it sorted in time for Watford but even then not in time to buy a ticket, they got me a player return with about 2 days to spare.

That ended well.:unsure:

Had tickets to the play offs semi-final away game at Portsmouth back in May 1993.  Friend's car broke down on the A34 and we had had an enormous what for the AA.  It soon became apparent that we were not going to see the match so we went in search of a pub (in our colours of course) to drown our sorrows.  Found a lovely pub full of Swindon fans watching their away game at Tranmere.  We were greeted with "wrong game guys", but the landlord was sound.  Fetched us a radio so we could listed to our game.  A few beers and food later and everyone in the pub was happy!  Shame about missing the game though - especially when we heard about the lovely send off given to our fans by the wonderful, sporting Portsmouth fans!     

• Like 1

Couple of seasons ago the away game with Swansea coincided with half term, so the lad and I planned a brief holiday in south Wales around the match.  There's a direct train from Wilmslow to Swansea, so should've been simple.  Then Storm Brian happened.  We got to the station nice and early Saturday morning, and the Swansea train was cancelled.  No matter, we could wait for the next one and still be in plenty of time, but that was cancelled too.  It wasn't announced at any point at our station, but the trains actually *were* running, they were just terminating at Crewe, the next stop along the line, rather than running through to Manchester.  Eventually we discovered this, caught a local train to Crewe and changed onto the Swansea train, which was running with speed restrictions the whole way, but got us there eventually.  We jumped into a taxi to Liberty Stadium, and by the time we got into the ground it was EIGHT HOURS after we had left home.  We caught the last 10 minutes of the second half.

Incidentally, interim manager that day was Michael Appleton, who now seems to be a neighbour of mine in the less "footballery" end of Wilmslow - I spotted him in the local convenience store at the weekend.

Missed the first half of our 3-0 defeat at Southampton due to signalling problems between Waterloo and Woking, gateman said "I dunno why you've bothered, you're 2-0 down!" as I went in.

Never actually missed a whole match I had a ticket for, though. They're too expensive to let that happen! (Actually, I missed Yeovil at home in 2009 when I had a season ticket because I went to see Motorhead at De Mont that night)

Edited by Mike the Metal Ed

Stockport away a few years ago,we’d been drinking on the train and in a few pubs got to the ground around 2.45 but at the wrong end.Realizing what we done we then tried going to the away end,unfortunately the police were watching us and proceeded to arrest one of us.We spent the afternoon waiting for him to be released,eventually getting away from Stockport at  8,I’ve still got the match ticket at home!

53 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Mentioned it in another thread recently but I imagine a lot of people in here didn't get to Boro at home in the snow a few years ago.

I only went because I lived on Noel Street at the time. 

I remember it well.I walked home to Wigston from work in the city centre as there were no buses, only to find out the game was still on.  Got changed and walked back to watch the game and walked home again afterwards.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, brisfox said:

I booked to go and see England play Holland in Portugal. I booked a flight to Barcelona and a connecting flight to Porto. The plane was so late arriving at Gatwick that it would mean that I would miss my connecting flight to Porto and therefore the game (The airline was a Spanish budget airline called Vueling- don't ever use them). I ended up not getting on the plane at it would have meant spending the next 24 hours flying to and sleeping at airports and not even being able to watch the match on TV. One thing I didn't realise is that if you don't get on a plane, them it is actually pretty hard to get back out of the airport (it took 2 hours to leave). This got me thinking. Have any fellow Foxes ever missed a match or maybe travelled to a game that didn't take place? I remember taking the train to Nottingham for a game against County that was called off an hour before the match due to a frozen pitch but as that was only 30 miles up the road, it hardly counts.

Did the same trip. If I remember rightly it was not long after the new "all day drinking" hours became law & spent a happy afternoon & evening in Nottingham's pubs. 

Ditto Brighton away which we had booked a B&B for the weekend. The game was called off as it had rained for about an hour that morning & the pitch was officially waterlogged. Plenty of inebriated Leicester fans in Brighton that night.

A couple spring to mind including Coronation Day in 2016 when 5 of us travelled over from Ireland without tickets and despite lots of efforts from early morning on day of the match including trying to use Irish charm to get in touch with Susan Whelan who I had met during the great escape previous season....Had a great day and night though and wouldn’t have missed been in Leicester that day

The most important one though I have spoken about before. End Nov 1966 first trip to a big match ( had been to many Nuneaton Borough games with crowds of approx 1500before) . So this Wed  night match vs Man Utd a family friend took my brother and I with his son...40 odd thousand milling around and crammed into Filbo and we were bitterly disappointed not to get in as ground was full........Thank God for that cos we had made a pact between us that we would support whoever won.....Man Utd won 2-1 so if we had got in I would be a Man Utd supporter ???? Thankfully we did same trip the following Sat Dec 2nd Leicester home to Stoke with the same pact that whoever won we would support.....4 - 2 to Leicester and the rest is history ???

Missed the Palace game at home in the title winning season as I was in Germany to watch the Klitschko vs Fury fight. It was cancelled but as my wife and I had paid for the ferry, train tickets and hotel we went anyway.

It was rearranged and I still had ringside tickets for the bout so we went again and I missed the Man Utd home match when Vardy beat Van Nistlerooy's record and watched it in a German bar. I screamed the place down on my own for about two minutes solid and then i heard a voice in the background say "he must be a Leicester fan". lol

I remember the Middlesbrough home game while we were in the Championship and it snowed like hell, causing gridlock everywhere.

Was really looking forward to it but took my dad so long to get home from work and the effort it took clearing the snow to get the car back on the drive, we had to cut our losses on not making it.

Had it not been on sky, the game would have 100% been postponed.

Edited by TK95

Cardiff away just after they moved.It was cold but they had a few injuries and "forgot to turn on the undersoil heating".Got as far as brum and turned round.Thought about going to Stoke v Southampton and then had second thoughts!

everton on new year’s day counts i guess.

had my ticket, was back home for NYE, woke up at about 11 after about 3 hours sleep on the floor in a mate’s front room and thought absolute bollocks to that. woke up again and saw us score. spewed it a few times, had half a sausage butty. went back to sleep on the floor. 

16 hours ago, BirminghamFox said:

okay okay… YES... I missed the EVERTON game 2016! I was gutted and had to give my season ticket to a family member as I had no choice but to be on stage performing in a production.

:frusty:

What was the production called,  PLASTIC the musical? 

• Like 1