Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

2019/20 Under 23's, U19's, Development ... thread

Just now, Shane said:

Two eighteen year olds came off the bench to make their debut for Chelsea’s first team. Lampard’s doing a good job developing the youth. 

Chelsea have had these kids for many years - just never gave them a decent chance before. 

We’ve brought a good set through but wish we had some youngsters pushing .....the new training ground demands we have a quality young group to make the most of it .........

• Like 2

Guest An Sionnach
3 minutes ago, Shane said:

Two eighteen year olds came off the bench to make their debut for Chelsea’s first team. Lampard’s doing a good job developing the youth. 

We do not play teenagers here its better if they go on loan to Stockport until  they are 23.

21 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

We do not play teenagers here its better if they go on loan to Stockport until  they are 23.

Theres not many teams that would throw them straight into premier league football and rightly so. You just have to look at the stick Chilwell and Hamza have been getting. Being from our academy doesnt earn you a free pass with the fans, many of whom always expect the finished article and dont have the patience to let them develop.  

Hamza made mistakes at Burton, learnt from them & returned a better player for it. I personally prefer that than if we had just chucked him in because WE MUST GIVE YOOF A CHANCE. 

I honestly believe if we had decided to play either Chilwell, Hamza or Barnes before their loan deals, they would most likely all have been sold by now. The loan eco system is therr for a reason. 

Look at Harry Kane, he was pretty garbage for both Norwich and us, was he ready for Spurs then? Absolutely not. But he learnt from the experiences and was better prepared for the premier league because of it. There will always be the rare players who are so talented and mentally mature that they will go straight into the side but these players are so very rare and you would already know about them as they would be representing their national youth sides (like chilly). 

• Like 4

Guest An Sionnach
2 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Theres not many teams that would throw them straight into premier league football and rightly so. You just have to look at the stick Chilwell and Hamza have been getting. Being from our academy doesnt earn you a free pass with the fans, many of whom always expect the finished article and dont have the patience to let them develop.  

Hamza made mistakes at Burton, learnt from them & returned a better player for it. I personally prefer that than if we had just chucked him in because WE MUST GIVE YOOF A CHANCE. 

I honestly believe if we had decided to play either Chilwell, Hamza or Barnes before their loan deals, they would most likely all have been sold by now. The loan eco system is therr for a reason. 

Look at Harry Kane, he was pretty garbage for both Norwich and us, was he ready for Spurs then? Absolutely not. But he learnt from the experiences and was better prepared for the premier league because of it. There will always be the rare players who are so talented and mentally mature that they will go straight into the side but these players are so very rare and you would already know about them as they would be representing their national youth sides (like chilly). 

George Hirst has scored hattricks at England youth level and his experience on loan did him little good. He is now 21 and still awaits a chance. Lampard thinks very differently to us and I admire him for that. The biggest problem is the egos of squad players and managers fear of upsetting them by promoting young players over them into the first team. We shall see if KDH is in our premiership squad next season but I am not optimistic.

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

What do we reckon KDH’s chances are in terms of breaking into the team? Anyone seen him play at Blackpool at all? Seems to have done well

Don’t see why he can’t be apart of the team within the next few seasons. Have a mate who’s a Blackpool fan and he rates him highly, think he’s scored around 4 for them so far. Didn’t have a bad game at Brentford either. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

What do we reckon KDH’s chances are in terms of breaking into the team? Anyone seen him play at Blackpool at all? Seems to have done well

He's a bit of revelation. I never rated him in the u23s. He seemed anonymous. But since Bren gave him his first team action he's gone from strength to strength. I've not seen him play but he's scoring some crackers. He just went out on loan, and it's only league one, so I'm not sure about first team action. He needs a championship loan next season. And apparently there are suitors. Been with us since he's been 8. Born in Shepshed. There's three Leicestershire born players looking decent now: Knight, KDH, Hamza and Barnes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Foxxed said:

He's a bit of revelation. I never rated him in the u23s. He seemed anonymous. But since Bren gave him his first team action he's gone from strength to strength. I've not seen him play but he's scoring some crackers. He just went out on loan, and it's only league one, so I'm not sure about first team action. He needs a championship loan next season. And apparently there are suitors. Been with us since he's been 8. Born in Shepshed. There's three Leicestershire born players looking decent now: Knight, KDH, Hamza and Barnes.

Is Luke Thomas a Leicester lad?

13 hours ago, lcfc sheff said:

To be honest I was always underimpressed with him in the U23s. He seemed lightweight and not a 90 minute player but it sounds as though he was setting the lower division on fire in his short loan spell.

Good luck to the lad.

6 hours ago, Stadt said:

Is Luke Thomas a Leicester lad?

Oh I forgot about him. I’m not sure where he’s from. The captain of the u17s. I was hoping for a loan tbh. I think he’s the only u23 who’s got England experience, apart from Ndukwu’s brief u16/u17 experience.

KDH seems like a good kid - down to earth, talented and has a lot of love for the club. On his Instagram Stories the other day he picked out Kingy as a team mate he has huge respect for, which says a lot.

The fact he's showing some genuine promise now only proves the point that competitive football is a far better nurturing ground than the U23s.

• Like 1

This is why u23 football isn’t enough to judge players on. I’m sure I read Daley Blind was relatively unimpressive in Ajax’s youth set up but got a chance in the first team and really raised his game. Even a bad loan is good for a player’s development

1 hour ago, CloudFox said:

KDH seems like a good kid - down to earth, talented and has a lot of love for the club. On his Instagram Stories the other day he picked out Kingy as a team mate he has huge respect for, which says a lot.

The fact he's showing some genuine promise now only proves the point that competitive football is a far better nurturing ground than the U23s.

Doesn't it show that U23s football has made him into a very good player? If anything the loan form makes it look like a step down as he's outclassing opponents which he wasn't doing in U23s.

1 hour ago, FIF said:

Doesn't it show that U23s football has made him into a very good player? If anything the loan form makes it look like a step down as he's outclassing opponents which he wasn't doing in U23s.

...it is not a science!!!

Players evolve differently, the world of football is littered with stories of players not thought to be good enough in their early years and yet find themselves at the top of the game. Hamza had a loan at Burton, Ndukwu has been out twice and was struggling for game time at Southend.Sometimes the environment suits the player and they flourish or they can be stunted by the process that they have followed and cannot rid them selves of the shackles they have been put in.

As for KDH I too felt that he was a player who added little to the U23 and wanted him to take more control of the game due to the position he plays. His success on loan has obviously altered his mindset and allowed him to see himself in a different light. The change of scenery has been beneficial but like with Ndukwu his mindset has stayed the same and I suspect always will irrespective of which club he plays for.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

Players evolve differently, the world of football is littered with stories of players not thought to be good enough in their early years and yet find themselves at the top of the game. Hamza had a loan at Burton, Ndukwu has been out twice and was struggling for game time at Southend.Sometimes the environment suits the player and they flourish or they can be stunted by the process that they have followed and cannot rid them selves of the shackles they have been put in.

As for KDH I too felt that he was a player who added little to the U23 and wanted him to take more control of the game due to the position he plays. His success on loan has obviously altered his mindset and allowed him to see himself in a different light. The change of scenery has been beneficial but like with Ndukwu his mindset has stayed the same and I suspect always will irrespective of which club he plays for.

So I could be just as right as you are ?

5 hours ago, FIF said:

A very good point, perhaps I misspoke - what @sacreblueits442is saying below is essentially what I was getting at. Some players need competitive football to show their true talent.

2 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

• 2 weeks later...

Merc

Leicester City defender likely played final game of 'up and down' three years

The centre-back reflects on his time at the King Power Stadium, and loan spell at Salford City, with a new deal unlikely to be offered to the 23-year-old this summer

By

Jordan Blackwell

21:25, 13 MAY 2020

Sam Hughes in action for Leicester City's Under-23s against Dinamo Zagreb after returning from a loan spell at Salford City (Image: Plumb Images/Leicester City FC via Getty Images)

Leicester City defender Sam Hughes has likely played his final game of an “up and down” spell at the club.

The centre-back, signed from non-league Chester in 2017, is out of contract this summer and is not expected to be offered a new deal.

Hughes was superb in his first season at the club as City’s Under-23s narrowly missed out on three pieces of silverware, his form earning him a place on Claude Puel’s bench for the final two games of the 2017-18 campaign. 

However, a back injury ruled him out of nearly his whole second season.

This year, he endured a “difficult” loan period at Salford City, starting just four League Two matches before being recalled in January, and then helped City’s Under-23s in their Premier League 2 title charge.

The youngsters’ season is now over, with the Premier League cancelling all youth football. At the curtailment, Steve Beaglehole’s side were three points off top spot with four games to go, having won nine of their previous 11 outings.

• Sad 1