Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

2019/20 Under 23's, U19's, Development ... thread

On 08/02/2020 at 13:31, Lesta2014 said:

Genuinely don’t get why we’d keep a youth player uninjured and not play them! Surely it’s pointless? He’s not developing as much just training surely? Surprised he’s not tried to force a move more and get some football whatever level!

sidnei Tavares (spelling) seems to have vanished also? 

Had worries about a visa and residency after Brexit. He's been in the UK since a kid but he holds a Portuguese passport. Unless we offer him a contract, I'm not sure if he'll fall foul of our immigration policy or not.

25 minutes ago, Collymore said:

What's happened to Ndukwu? He was on loan at Southend (which I believe was a train wreck) and must have returned but it's like he's disappeared off the face of the earth. 

Unless he's injured, but I'd thought I'd have read something... 

Didn't break in the Southend team except for a handful of minutes at the start and then returned. No idea where he is now.

54 minutes ago, Collymore said:

What's happened to Ndukwu? He was on loan at Southend (which I believe was a train wreck) and must have returned but it's like he's disappeared off the face of the earth. 

Unless he's injured, but I'd thought I'd have read something... 

Think he got injured which contributed to him not getting a game? Unsure how long he’s out for though? 

From og what I seen looks to have lots of natural talent but looks far too lethargic/laid back to be considered! He was meant to be the next best thing though?? 

https://www.lcfc.com/news/1610342/spurs-victory-sends-citys-under23s-to-pl2-summit

Spurs Victory Sends City's Under-23s To PL2 Summit

DEVELOPMENT SQUAD

Published 51 mins ago

3 MinutesReading time

Leicester City’s Development Squad climbed to the top of Premier League 2 Division 1 with a determined 3-2 victory over Tottenham Hotspur at a rain-lashed Holmes Park on Friday.

City’s line-up featured two changes from the 1-0 reverse at Newport County in the Leasing.com Trophy 10 days earlier, with Sam Hughes and Khanya Leshabela coming in.

Despite Spurs starting the brightest, Leicester thought they had taken the lead on 15 minutes when George Hirst finished Luke Thomas’ cross from the left, but the referee had spotted a handball.

From seemingly going ahead, the Foxes were behind four minutes later as Dilan Markanday burst into the area before sending a deflected effort past Viktor Johansson.

The hosts looked to hit back and would have done so immediately if not for a fine low stop from Josh Oluwayemi to deny Josh Eppiah following good work from Leshabela and Matty James.

It may have got worse before it got better for the Foxes on the half-hour as first Malachi Fagan-Walcott forced a strong save from Johansson before Rodel Richards blazed over.

City’s response was emphatic and a foul in the area provided Hirst with the chance to convert from 12 yards, sending a powerful effort down the middle to level the scores.

The home side’s fortunes improved again before the break as, in the third of four added minutes, Callum Wright latched onto Vontae Daley-Campbell’s cross to finish well and make it 2-1.

Leicester were on the front foot in the second period, but a helter-skelter clash’s next development was an equaliser for Spurs, through Jubril Okedina’s composed effort in the area.

The final twist came on 73 minutes, as Hirst did excellently to take down a high ball, spin on the spot, and send the ball low into Spurs’ bottom corner to put City back in front.

Leicester could have even added to their lead later on with substitute Tyrese Shade, Hughes and Hirst going close, but the hosts nonetheless soared to the table’s summit with victory.

Major moment… 

The winner also came from George Hirst midway through the second half.

After fighting back so impressively from a goal down, the Foxes will have been especially disappointed to lose their advantage just before the hour-mark in Whetstone.

However, they continued to press for a goal which would ultimately prove to be their winner as George Hirst showcased his strength and poise to seal a ninth league win of 2019/20.

Who impressed? 

George Hirst converts his penalty, which initially levelled the score at 1-1.

The exploits of George Hirst yet again played a pivotal role for Leicester at Holmes Park as the young Fox netted his 11th and 12th goals of the season.

Following a hip injury, Hirst has gently been reintroduced to the Under-23s' starting XI over recent weeks - and his importance to the side was on show on Friday.

Where does it leave us?

Young defender Luke Thomas makes progress down the left flank.

City head to the top of Premier League 2 Division 1 on 32 points, the same figure as Chelsea, who have played one game fewer.

They are one goal better off than the Blues on goal difference ahead of their fixture away at Arsenal on Monday evening.

Coming up… 

Belgian Josh Eppiah carries the ball forward for the Foxes.

City’s youngsters have another two-week break until a visit to Southampton’s training ground in Premier League 2 Division 1 on Monday 2 March (7pm GMT kick-off).

Former Foxes striker James Scowcroft will join commentator James Fielden for LCFC TV’s live coverage of the clash – which will be available live and for free on LCFC.com.

The details…

City: Johansson; Daley-Campbell, Johnson (c) (Ndukwu 63’), Hughes, Ughelumba, Thomas; Leshabela (Reghba 63’), James, Wright; Eppiah (Shade 74’), Hirst 

Subs not used: Stolarczyk, Arlott-John

Goals: Hirst pen 44’, 73’ Wright 45+3’

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

mrqhzshaj9h41.jpg?width=640&height=360&c

Nice looking league table for the U23's!

It will be interesting to see in the next few years if we can achieve the dream of moving players from the youth team to the first team with success. Barnes, Chilwell and Choudhury is a great start, and Dewsbury-Hall is out on loan. Outperforming some of the other youth teams like Liverpool and Chelsea is very impressive given the players some of those teams have signed, e.g. Liverpool signing Harvey Elliott from Fulham.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Outperforming some of the other youth teams like Liverpool and Chelsea is very impressive given the players some of those teams have signed, e.g. Liverpool signing Harvey Elliott from Fulham.

If we had a Harvey Elliott I’d bet he’d still be playing u18s. I’d be interested to know our average age compared to Liverpool and Chelsea. We’ve just sent Dewsbury-Hall out at long last but he’s replaced with Matty James. 🙄

• Haha 1

Guest An Sionnach
3 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Next year he surely needs to be loaned to a champ or league 1 team and see how he does. 

Needs to get that experience before his big move to Mansfield.

22 hours ago, lcfcsnow said:

If we had a Harvey Elliott I’d bet he’d still be playing u18s. I’d be interested to know our average age compared to Liverpool and Chelsea. We’ve just sent Dewsbury-Hall out at long last but he’s replaced with Matty James. 🙄

So, I don't have enough free time to do any more than a surface level research project on this, so I took a look at the most recent starting 11 for each team in the PL2 to look at their average ages - though I excluded cases of overage players since that would wildly skew the average on an outlier - also for some reason there was zero information on the age of one Blackburn player so he was discounted too. I've compiled the average ages and then league position in brackets. 

Derby - 20.1 (4th)

Leicester - 20.1 (1st)

Everton - 19.5 (8th)

Brighton - 19.4 (3rd)

Blackburn - 19 (7th)

Arsenal - 18.5 (5th)

Chelsea - 18.5 (2nd)

Liverpool - 18.4 (6th)

Southampton - 18.3 (11th)

Tottenham - 18.3 (10th)

Man City - 17.6 (9th)

Wolves - 17.5 (12th) 

Obviously, this is a single match and may not be indicative of said team's standard average age - but I haven't got enough time to commit to that - though I'm pretty sure this is our typical average, if not lower than usual as a result of a couple loans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Average of 20 in an under 23 league is fine! I’d be intrigued to know how many of the 18-23 at clubs like Man City make it? Yes they may be on loan early but how high do they end up playing? Also someone like Foden slipped 23s because he’s so good, can’t remember anyone else really coming through for them lately? What’s zinchenko background? Him maybe? 

Peterborough had an offer to sign Leicester City utility man Josh Knight rejected in January – but they will try again in the summer.

The League One club’s owner Darragh MacAnthony tweeted to say a bid was submitted during the transfer window last month as Peterborough looked to make Knight’s loan deal permanent.

While he claims City were not interested in a transfer, he said he would have another go in the summer, with centre-back turned central midfielder Knight impressing fans, team-mates and staff alike at the Weston Homes Stadium.

After a Peterborough supporter asked if the club were interested in signing Knight permanently, MacAnthony replied: “Made a bid in Jan but Leicester not interested in that discussion so will try again in the summer.”

Knight is in his second loan spell with the Posh, who currently sit in the League One play-off places, two points outside the automatic promotion spots.

The 22-year-old, who hails from Fleckney, first joined the club on loan in January after extending his contract at City to 2021.

Last summer, he signed for the club on a season-long loan. He has scored three goals and provided four assists in 24 matches across all competitions.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/club-owner-confirms-planned-bid-3857693

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

U18's 1-0 up vs Swansea, the main man Terell Pennant with the goal. Get him in the first team 😂

Maybe next season we could have a small first team squad like Liverpool & Man City & then utilise youth players like Tavares & Pennant in the cups. According to transfermarkt both Liverpool and Man City have 23 first team players.

I’m not saying do a Klopp and disrespect the cups by fielding an entire u23 team, but 3-5 youngsters in the matchday squad is feasible.

• Like 1

2-1 up away at Southampton, Wright and Hirst.

Sadly no Terell Pennant in the squad, not sure what more the lad can do at U18 level to move up. He's seemingly fallen foul to what Conor Tee had, where Beaglehole publicly praised him as a future star and then immediately never played him since. 

7 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

2-1 up away at Southampton, Wright and Hirst.

Sadly no Terell Pennant in the squad, not sure what more the lad can do at U18 level to move up. He's seemingly fallen foul to what Conor Tee had, where Beaglehole publicly praised him as a future star and then immediately never played him since. 

Well Birmingham will have a sixteen year old playing so would be nice to think we could have an eighteen year old on the bench! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, justfoxes said:

Pretty good display tonight from the U23’s thought Reghba & Hirst we’re pretty decent can’t be long before Hirst gets a chance in the first team !

Didn't watch the game but every opportunity or highlight seemed to involve him from the tweets I saw