Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bert

Games moved for TV 2019/20

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

Agree to an extent with the bigger fixtures. That's why in Germany a mixture of full game boycotts, in-game boycotts and other types of in-game protests were implemented. So the same people were still getting tickets, but actively making their voices heard. Again though, it's not the kind of thing we're minded to do in this country. The UFS five-minute protest at Arsenal in the title season attracted around 100-150 in a 3,000 away end.

This was one of the only things Union FS have got wrong in recent years. I was at that game, thought the short notice of date and kick-off time was a disgrace and happy to protest. But was I going to miss 5 minutes of a top of the table clash in a season Leicester City were challenging for the Premier League title?!

No chance.

The method of protest for that one in the context of the magnitude of the game was completely wrong (hence the 100-150 in a 3,000 away end).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

This was one of the only things Union FS have got wrong in recent years. I was at that game, thought the short notice of date and kick-off time was a disgrace and happy to protest. But was I going to miss 5 minutes of a top of the table clash in a season Leicester City were challenging for the Premier League title?!

No chance.

The method of protest for that one in the context of the magnitude of the game was completely wrong (hence the 100-150 in a 3,000 away end).

Out of interest what method of protest would you have prefered?

32 minutes ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

No chance.

This proves the point that TV companies can do what they want, people will still pay money and turn up.

1 hour ago, SemperEadem said:

Out of interest what method of protest would you have prefered?

Anything that meant I didn't have to miss 5 minutes of the match given the magnitude of it at the time - Leicester vs Burnley at Turf Moor in a midtable clash, Leicester vs Chelsea when we're 8th and they're 2nd, Leicester vs Brighton when we're in the bottom three and they're 10th... I'd happily miss 5 minutes of any of these but not any of those games in second half of the 15/16 season when we were seeing a once-in-a-lifetime thing.

Something visual in the away end, something verbal, a sit-in protest at the end. I wasn't, and am not, the ideas man here. But I could have told you in advance that wouldn't work for that fixture.

1 hour ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

This proves the point that TV companies can do what they want, people will still pay money and turn up.

I'm not sure it does prove the point. If a German club who'd yo-yo'd between top and second tier were coming to crunch time in a season they looked like they could win the Bundesliga for the first time ever were playing Bayern Munich at the Allianz then I think you'd find that the fans of that club wouldn't want to miss part of the match. Same across the top tier of any of the major nation in Europe.

Protesting is hard because not everybody will do it. Out of a 3k away end only small pockets of people are going to want to join in.

TV companies do what they want because they know they'll get away with it. Grounds across the PL will be full capacity, or close to full capacity, regardless of the day. We see games on Friday, Sunday and Monday all sell out still. People love to moan, including myself, but still end up going. Demand is there.

For me clubs don't do enough to help/protect their own fans but they sold out to Sky years ago.

Edit: It's an absoloute joke we haven't heard anything yet but I don't expect less. They fvcked us over when we played Arsenal that time with about 2 weeks to go. That said, we still sold out for such a big game.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

We also shouldn't assume everyone agrees with us- plenty might be ok with games being moved or it doesn't bother them.

I understand matches have to move but just fed up with all the different kick-off times. Ditch the Monday Nights, have an early game on Saturday, an evening game then one match on Sunday kicking off between 2 and 3pm. I know it isn't likely any time soon but five matches on TV per weekend is too much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Freeman's Wharfer said:

I'm not sure it does prove the point. If a German club who'd yo-yo'd between top and second tier were coming to crunch time in a season they looked like they could win the Bundesliga for the first time ever were playing Bayern Munich at the Allianz then I think you'd find that the fans of that club wouldn't want to miss part of the match. Same across the top tier of any of the major nation in Europe.

Not sure that's true, again due to the more organised nature of support abroad. The more Ultras-minded sections of those supports certainly wouldn't think twice about putting their principles first, and (and I'm not saying this is right) others in that end might not have a choice about whether they go along with that or not. Ultras groups abroad are known to act as bouncers in the concourse during these protests.

Again though, it's a matter of culture. Fans in Germany just have a different mindset with most clubs operating under the 50+1 rule and being seen as more than businesses by their members, who have some say in their running and want to see certain principles upheld. And I'm not just talking about Ultras here.

• Like 1

Someone has seen an Amazon schedule which suggests Man City v Wolves for 27th and then Boxing Day games schedule for lunch, 5pm and 8pm. 

Ultimately the whole scenario stems from having too much football on television. Games moved for television which affect midweek games which then affects television selections for the week after. 

• Like 1

Just now, Cardiff_Fox said:

Someone has seen an Amazon schedule which suggests Man City v Wolves for 27th and then Boxing Day games schedule for lunch, 5pm and 8pm. 

Ultimately the whole scenario stems from having too much football on television. Games moved for television which affect midweek games which then affects television selections for the week after. 

Boxing Day games should be early doors. 12:00, 14:00 and 16:00, nothing later than that.

12 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Well some EFL fixtures have been announced... 

Edit:Just realised from this that Villa will stay on Saturday given WBA now play on Sunday? 

Maybe that’s why Cov got moved then from Sunday to Saturday. Someone on here said that he’d heard Villa was Monday night. Possible ain’t it. 

Edited by Filbert_Ross

2 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Remove the 3PM blackout and let people watch who they want on demand. In this day and age, the sport is run by dinosaurs.

• Like 1

The catch there is that if Aston Villa and West Brom couldn't be at home together, they wouldn't have originally scheduled for that to be the case. You never see say Tottenham and Arsenal scheduled to be at home together and then one just moves (in the league anyway), so maybe Villa and West Brom can actually play at that time.

10 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

The catch there is that if Aston Villa and West Brom couldn't be at home together, they wouldn't have originally scheduled for that to be the case. You never see say Tottenham and Arsenal scheduled to be at home together and then one just moves (in the league anyway), so maybe Villa and West Brom can actually play at that time.

That's a good point. I'm guessing the two are Birmingham/Villa and West Brom/Wolves that can't play on same day.