Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Foxexile16

Matty James

4 minutes ago, sheffield_fox said:

I think the parts of the game which are decided automatically by technology, for example, the goal line technology, are working really well. Any decision which has the potential for human error seems to be contentious at the moment. 

For offsides, I like the idea of putting sensors in the hems of the all players shirts (arms, waist, neck) to keep track of exactly who is offside at any one time. There would also be sensors in the pads of the ball to determine exactly when it is kicked. As soon as a player, who was offside when the ball was played, touches the ball, the ref's watch buzzes or whatever and he blows up for offside. 

It would be instantaneous, automatic and not open to human error... 

Think you might have put this in the wrong thread mate. Wouldn’t expect anything more from you South Yorkshire lot :P

• 4 months later...

Looking at him in training he looks very fit. Given his market value, as a Pound to value player he'd still be a good squad player.

Unless he's lost what little pace he had.

Plus from a manager's perspective he wouldn't be a problem as he wouldn't expect to play often.

If I'm honest I don't really think matty james fits in anywhere at the club except on the coaching side. We are going to be in Europe depending on which competition but we will be busy in the transfer market covering midfield players anyway. I can understand and agree with the segments on matty james and he has been a model of what you want in a professional player. I just dont think hes good enough for this club technically anymore. Also you could make the argument that any incoming signings could look at the matty james situation and get other ideas when signing on.

Edited by UHDrive
Typo

He has never really recovered from his injuries & never will. His best days are long gone but we need to get rid as he is blocking the path of players like Dewsbury-Hall, although I would imagine his wages will be a problem for a Championship side to buy him, especially if they have a salary cap.

7 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Get other ideas of signing on, why? Surely they’d look at the example of James and feel that, as long as they give their all to the club, then the club will look after them should they ever have bad luck with injuries like he has. 

Disagree. If a player signed a contract at a club, for example 4 years and was thus injured for 3 years but was kept at the club regardless, then I'm sure that said club supporters would be pretty hacked off. 

There is a thin line between not being able to utilize a squad player for an enormous amount of time and simply carry on paying his wages and handing additional contracts.

We need every squad player fit and able to play and if they aren't then tell me why that is acceptable in this day and age together with us being an established PL club. 

How big our club has become now and sentiments aside we cannot be seen to having those weaknesses. 

7 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Hope Matty James doesn't read this, or the other players for that matter. It hardly leaves a good impression when all some of our fans can do is take the piss out of a long serving player who's had terrible luck with injuries and never given less than 100%. 🤦‍♂️

Unbelievable post!! I watched Matty james in the PL2 games this season and he was bang average. 

Instead of being content to sit on the salary he has knowing deep down that he isnt going to get first team football again then he should do what any other footballer at any other club would do - move on or ask for a loan move.  Do the decent thing... 

Edited by UHDrive
Typo
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, pmcla26 said:

I think people forget that footballers have bills to pay and people to feed, or the detriment to people’s mental health that career changing injuries etc, that you can’t control, can have. 

Bill's to pay? Your in the wrong thread clearly. Go to the shelf stackers thread in sainsbury's, that way he'd know what bills really are with his salary.

18 minutes ago, UHDrive said:

Disagree. If a player signed a contract at a club, for example 4 years and was thus injured for 3 years but was kept at the club regardless, then I'm sure that said club supporters would be pretty hacked off. 

There is a thin line between not being able to utilize a squad player for an enormous amount of time and simply carry on paying his wages and handing additional contracts.

We need every squad player fit and able to play and if they aren't then tell me why that is acceptable in this day and age together with us being an established PL club. 

How big our club has become now and sentiments aside we cannot be seen to having those weaknesses. 

Yeah, god forbid that we look after our players and act like a community as opposed to being a club that is seen to only care about its players in terms of profits. Clearly unacceptable. 

We gave a player who was quite good but not brilliant and very injury prone a 4 year contract.

We have to suck up that poor decision and support him.

Even if fully fit and in his prime he probably wouldn't get into our team. But a contract is a contract and that's that. 

The best we can hope for is to negotiate a settlement so he can get in with his life and we save a bit on wages but I'm not sure that's on our agenda.

1 minute ago, The_Rorab said:

Yeah, god forbid that we look after our players and act like a community as opposed to being a club that is seen to only care about its players in terms of profits. Clearly unacceptable. 

Let's throw pound notes out like confetti then!! 

I dont know any other club that does what we have done. 

It's a sign of weakness and we need to get a grip. This is hard earned fans money you are talking about so you might want to reflect on that.

5 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Yes he has bills to pay to match the Premier League footballer lifestyle - he didn’t foresee his injury troubles and without any income his life changes entirely. I’m glad the club have supported him the way they have, it doesn’t make a difference to the amount of money in our pockets and doesn’t endanger our football club so why is it an issue? 

Just have some perspective that players are people as well. How would you feel if you had an accident at work that prevented you from fulfilling your role to the best of your abilities and you were sacked because of it?

If we ran the club your way we'd be bankrupt within years. 

• Like 1

If Mandaric was in charge, and there was no money.... would James still be here?

Is he goid enough to get in squad right now?

Is he EVER going to be premier league "first name on the teamsheet " standard.

All answers point to NO

Actually no he's on the right track, what we should actually be doing is once a player gets injured for a long enough period of time, we should be allowed to just take them out back and just put them down - then they wouldn't be taking up space in the budget and it would prove that we aren't showing weakness!

10 minutes ago, Jace said:

I think people forget how good he is, he was far better than Drinkwater 

Too damn right. He had such a high ceiling with his talent and he was really starting to realise it when he got the initial injury. We've had years of disappointment from Matty since which some people seem to be bitter about given he gets a good wage. but that's got to pale into insignificance with how disappointed he must feel about how his career has gone!!

Edited by Arriba Los Zorros
  • Like 2