Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Foxexile16

Matty James

Sure I’ve seen interviews with players regularly naming him as technically the best player in training! Keeps the ball when when he plays, give him this pre season, see where we are, year left on contract so give him a final year to prove worth. Respect his attitude to keep coming back from his injuries and still gaining praise from managers despite his issues! 

• Like 1

I think it's been said in a few places fairly recently that footballers tend to have super high mortgage repayments so they can pay off their houses before they retire.

Then take into account many other lifestyle factors including bills, school fees, etc., and then imagine losing that income through injury.

Clubs honouring contracts with their long-term injured players is not just legally the right thing to do, it's morally the right thing to do as well.

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

Yes he has bills to pay to match the Premier League footballer lifestyle - he didn’t foresee his injury troubles and without any income his life changes entirely. I’m glad the club have supported him the way they have, it doesn’t make a difference to the amount of money in our pockets and doesn’t endanger our football club so why is it an issue? 

Just have some perspective that players are people as well. How would you feel if you had an accident at work that prevented you from fulfilling your role to the best of your abilities and you were sacked because of it?

I believe the negative Posters have forgot something,that this Club has built up behind the scenes...Looking After your staff...

Vichai and  now Top would have a massive input, how  decent Club servants now struggling, will be cared for & supported!!!!

We cant be compared to any "normal"  directive, from other clubs...Since Vichai ,we Havent left any Player dry or without a paddle....

Edited by fuchsntf

2 hours ago, Jace said:

I think people forget how good he is, he was far better than Drinkwater 

I think you mean ‘how good he WAS’.   Time waits for no man accept Peter Pan.

• Like 1

Do we ever expect James to play for us again and have any meaningful impact for us?

I'd rather he left for the benefit of his own career, and not through any ill-feeling from us. I just can't see a future for him when you see his injury record and other midfielders we've signed. He may have been better than Drinkwater at times but is he any use to us now or in the next few seasons?

3 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Imagine you've trained your entire life for one career, a career you were doing fairly well at in one of the most highly rated leagues in the world. Now imagine that entire world is taken away through absolutely no fault of your own. He was a key player in that promotion and great escape year and from all reports a decent bloke. Can you for a second imagine how he felt and feels?

If it's a sign of weakness to help and support someone down on luck after having given huge amounts for the club, then I'll happily show 'weakness'. The fact you think thats weakness shows you really don't get the atmosphere and family feel Top is building 

As a person that has had to retire at the age of 36 due to ill health which has caused disabilities, which is the way James would end up if he carries.

So I’m in a position to understand how James feels, I had to give up a career I loved due to no fault of my own,  but as much as I feel for him life throws people bad luck.

Once it was clear  to my employer I wasn’t going to recover enough to warrant my position they retired me on pennies in comparison to James, James has been made a multi millionaire in the time most employers would have choose he  no longer warrants his position, as he couldn’t perform his duties, so I could only imagine having to take life’s knocks, but to be in his very privileged position, never worry about money again, and still probably earn a good living teaching the career he loves.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jace said:

I think people forget how good he is, he was far better than Drinkwater 

I don't know why I always see this. No he wasn't better. James is a good  footballer, don't get me wrong, but people equally forget how good Drinkwater was. He could pick a pass as good as anyway.

Drinkwater created and scored far more than James.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I've never particularly rated Matty James, never seen the fascination. Efficient passer but nowhere near the level of a top 4 PL side. Everyone's sentiment harks back to 2013/14 which is best part of 6/7 years ago, it's mad he's still here. He's played about 35 games in 6 years for us.

People who say he was better than Drinkwater are forgetting that this is based purely on that 1st season in the Prem when we were bottom of the league for most of the season and hardly a glowing portfolio of superiority. Drinkwater was the best midfielder in the Championship in 2013/14 and then after a poor year in 2014/15 was again one of the best performing midfielders in the PL. Not even open to debate. 

Agreed. Without doubt. People look back with bias when players don't play anymore.

Also people always want to compare James with Drinkwater. Why not compare his with another midfielder like King? Always trying to compare him to Drinkwater tells me something.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I've never particularly rated Matty James, never seen the fascination. Efficient passer but nowhere near the level of a top 4 PL side. Everyone's sentiment harks back to 2013/14 which is best part of 6/7 years ago, it's mad he's still here. He's played about 35 games in 6 years for us.

People who say he was better than Drinkwater are forgetting that this is based purely on that 1st season in the Prem when we were bottom of the league for most of the season and hardly a glowing portfolio of superiority. Drinkwater was the best midfielder in the Championship in 2013/14 and then after a poor year in 2014/15 was again one of the best performing midfielders in the PL. Not even open to debate. 

Is there anybody on here really shouting from the rooftops that he should be starting for us as a top four side though? Surely not. I think people are just pleased to see him on the bench, he’s immensely popular.

Also the whole Drinkwater comparison is just guesswork from fans. I think people are saying he could’ve been better or was more naturally talented than Drinkwater but was stunted by injuries, there’s no way he was better here than Drinkwater.

• Sad 1

I think the bigging up of James' ability and the Drinkwater comparisons just go to show how long it's been since anyone's seen James play football regularly. Combine that with the fact that it was during the Pearson era and for a lot of people on here the nostalgia goggles are locked on tight.  Added to this is the fact that the player we have currently who's prob most similar in style to James is Mendy. Steady, useful backup but wouldn't be missed particularly if he wasnt here and no one will look back on him with much reverence. This is despite the fact that hes prob better player now at Prem level than James was when he was fit and has made more prem appearances than him

• Like 1

I'm suprised by some of the comments on here particularly considering who they are from but that's cool we are all entitled to our opinions. For me Matty has always been incredibly well respected by the squad, coaches etc. I remember when we had that big dip in form in 2012/13 which many players put solely down to his injury. You are all right it's a long time ago we are making these comparisons but for me my judgement is based on if the club feel hes worthy of his place in the squad that's good enough for me 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Spot on. How anybody can say he was better than Drinky is beyond me. Drinky was the best midfield player in the Championship & one of the best in the year we won the Prem.

The only reason he had a poor year in 14/15 was because pig-headed Pearson wouldn't pick him for some reason, despite the pathetic performances we were turning out throughout that winter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pmcla26 said:

Regarding the comparisons to Drinkwater, I think it is more that going off 14/15, he would’ve been a good player for us in the 15/16 side and could’ve gone on to have a good Premier League career. Obviously, injuries stopped that from happening. 

It’s just recognising the fact James’ career really could’ve kicked on that season given the displays he put in during 14/15 and the trajectory that other players’ performances also took.

All guesswork of course, it’s just a shame it didn’t happen because he’s a very likeable bloke. Maybe he wouldn’t have played in 15/16 either and Ranieri would’ve preferred Drinkwater all along with King as his back up, who knows. 

But he wasn't actually any good during 2014/15? Bar Cambiasso the midfield was horrible all season, it did improve during the great escape part of the season but James also got injured with a few games to go. 

• Thanks 1