Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

The Athletic - US sports site

1 hour ago, purpleronnie said:

why?  We named it soccer not the americans.

Maybe but only Americans really call it that . I don’t know a single fan in the UK  that  says  I’m going to the soccer game on Saturday or what soccer team do you support etc etc . 

12 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

Maybe but only Americans really call it that . I don’t know a single fan in the UK  that  says  I’m going to the soccer game on Saturday or what soccer team do you support etc etc . 

It's also used that way in Canada, Australia, Ireland (though I am not 100% sure on that).

I think the reason why, is just to differentiate it from american/canadien/aussie/gaelic football, which is more popular in their own country. 

I'm not going to lie, I like the look of the site. I like the idea of outside-the-box long-form journalism with an empasis on local experts as well.

It's telling that they've been poaching a lot of the broadsheet writers too. That's where the quality analysis is. They may have been aggressive in their recruitment strategy, and I don't like to see whole newspapers being cleared out, but this model really has the potential to shake up the industry.

Many on here have been moaning about the slow, sad decline of the Mercury's sports coverage and the annoying proliferation of ads, pop-ups and auto-play videos. The Athletic could be a breath of fresh air, especially for those who are hungry for content outside of the usual match reports, bog-standard analysis, vague transfer crap and clickbait.

• Like 3

I have been a subscriber for over a year now.

Mainly for US sports (Sharks, 49ers, Giants) - I've only clicked on the "Soccer" pages occasionally though (and have left the occasional sarcastic comment about how any English article thinks there are only 6 teams in the "EPL" - looks like they have taken note!). They have some big money backing them and poached the best local beat writers with good connections to the team, which was the main trigger for subscribing.

It does not try and compete with other sites for the day to day news and gossip - they know they can't beat twitter for that - but goes for the more in depth articles: standing back and analysing. And sometimes for a humorous approach that wouldn't sit well on more formal news channels. And then there are some very good articles analysing trends in the sport as a whole.

To my mind, it really does offer something different (and more intelligent) to the current media so (particularly as an existing subscriber) I think its great news them expanding over here!

• Like 4

This popped up in my Facebook feed. The link took me to theathletic.com -- as opposed to a .co.uk site -- and its still "soccer" there and their premier league section is still being updated every couple of days, and pure Big 6, so don't know if they will launch a country-specific site later, or just expand the U.S. site...

Capture.JPG

On 18/07/2019 at 11:23, Guest said:

Not sure if this is the right place for this but it seems a US sports site called The Athletic is making a big play for the UK football journalism market. Subscription-based, recruiting a few big names from the big papers as well as a host of local journalists. More info here.

I assume this is the opportunity that Rob Tanner left the Mercury for. Any of our American members know much about the site? Anyone interested in a subscription model for their football coverage?

American here. They have spent a ton in the states recruiting top notch sports writers and podcasters. Probably the best sportswriting, both long and short-form, that I have ever seen under one roof. Def worth the cost of admission.

• Like 1

I can see that upping their game on pl content will give them more global subscriptions. ... as few are keen to read about mls.

I would like to see more comment pieces..eg;

Something line the secret footballer to comment on current issues 

Some regular feature on psychology. .. again tied to recent events

Something looking ar ownership and business arroung football... what works what doesn't

Pub talk.... like a political sketch but looking at ckub issues 

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/07/2019 at 15:52, Poznan34 said:

Looks like they are big on the discounted offers to get you in. I managed to get their 4 July offer, 76% off, which works out at less than £1/month, can't go wrong with that. 

I took advantage of this offer myself. Tells me they're struggling but the price was good. But so far I'm underwhelmed by their football/soccer coverage. Nothing that I could find on the Maguire transfer as an example. To work with a paywall you need to offer something better than what's available for free and so far I'm not seeing it. They don't even cover MLS all that well.

Edited by TeaMen Tom

2 hours ago, funkyrobot said:

I’m not subscribing to an American site to get information about the EPL and Leicester. We have John Percy, Geoff Peters, Henry Winter etc providing excellent coverage and it’s always possible to get their stuff for free. 

Henry Winter of The Times...which is behind a paywall?

• Haha 1