Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grebfromgrebland

Also In The News

20 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Many a top night there, one of my favourites. Met a now really close friend on the balcony smoking area. Beautiful building as well and a lot of history in there so it's proper sad, hopefully they can salvage most of it. 

Yeah it's one of my favourite venues I've been to. Very sad to see it. Saw one of Kids in Glass Houses' last shows there and it was brilliant. 

34 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Maybe you and/or @ozleicester can shed some more light on this theory here - a comment made by an Aussie someplace else:

Thoughts? I'm not saying global warming is in parts responsible, but making it look as if it's the sole cause is not doing the situation enough justice. Environmentalists are allegedly also to blame for stopping burning it off in the winter season.

I also heard that the temperatures and average rain fall in NSW right now are NOT by any means any different compared to other Australian Summers.

Also, no arsonists around, literally playing with fire?

The water issue is a HUGE, but very separate problem. Im not going to go into the actual criminal activities by our government in their water management here as it should not distract from the real issue with the fires. 

The arsonists story is fake news, yes they exist (not in the numbers social media is reporting) but the problem remains that climate change has made the country more bushfire prone and at risk from more powerful bushfires, the fuel load is greater and the season starts earlier and goes longer so the arsonists get a much greater bang for buck.

Action on climate change wont change this next year... or even in 5 years... but it will begin to change it for 10,20 and 30 years into the future.

Ross Garnaut was a climate scientist tasked with planning for climate change about 15 years ago... this is a part of his report...

image.png.dfcdb3b4e341708569ba380780d77a71.png

The government have ignored and avoided and derided his report and have the worst government action on climate change in the first world.

Got to be honest, im pretty tired of the stupidity of this discussion (not aimed at people here).. the climate is changing... evidence proves it is worsened by human intervention and because of $ we still do not act. Even when we see the WORST FIRES ON RECORD.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

Ok, go on then.

Reveal once and for all whom manipulated which election. I'm sick and tired of hearing about "election fraud" and "manipulation" and "Russia", with nothing proper to show for.

Give us proof, disclose the bad actors. Names, places, dates. All of it.

Stop beating around the bush with these seemingly endless, vague fillers.

Mate, I know nothing. I just think we have a right to know if there is foreign interference in our domestic politics. 

15 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Are you sure about that? I’d expect the figure to be larger if that were the case. There must be half a billion ants in my garden :)

There are 2 million just in my breakfast bowl i left out of the sink :) this morning

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

Maybe you and/or @ozleicester can shed some more light on this theory here - a comment made by an Aussie someplace else:

Thoughts? I'm not saying global warming is in parts responsible, but making it look as if it's the sole cause is not doing the situation enough justice. Environmentalists are allegedly also to blame for stopping burning it off in the winter season.

I also heard that the temperatures and average rain fall in NSW right now are NOT by any means any different compared to other Australian Summers.

ooh i missed this bit...

No, temperatures are not the same!

They are higher and have been for longer, yes it is small increments, but what would you expect, this is climate change in action, its not a Tsunami, its a frog in a pot.

Environmentalists are NOT to blame for fires... ludicrous, offensive and obscene for anyone with a semblance of intelligence to suggest it...it is misdirection and obfuscation designed to appeal to the Oz "MAGA's" and simply ****ed up to repeat/spread it.

Before anyone mentions "the Greens stopped backburning" which is another lie being spread here... The Greens (sadly) have NO POWER in Oz, they have not and cannot prevent anything!

The Federal and local conservative parties have cut funding for emergency services, they have ignored the advice of many experienced fire fighters (6 Fire chiefs asked for a meeting in April because they were concerned about the extra fuel load and expected mega fire season), they were refused a meeting, they suggested purchasing/renting extra water bombers.. ignored.

The Aptly named "Crikey" has more ... https://www.crikey.com.au/2019/11/11/nsw-bushfires-budget-cut/

Edited by ozleicester
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, FerrisBueller said:

Mate, I know nothing. I just think we have a right to know if there is foreign interference in our domestic politics. 

That wasn't criticism of you, it was criticism of the media who perpetuate conspiracy theories without ever getting to the core of the issue.

Just using buzzwords for headlines won't solve or help anything.

As long as there are just constant accusations, but no proof to back it up, the media will continue to lose the audience.

That's what I'm fed up with. That and gullible people.

7 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

I am in no way qualified to comment on these issues but your quotes appear to be a distraction. @ozleicester has said everything I’d say and more.

Just to add though, obviously the effects of climate change on the ground can be minimised by proper management, and all the talk here at the moment is that the government has failed in this regard. Perhaps this crisis will lead to better preparations in the future.

As for climate change itself, scientists have been warning for years that we can expect weather conditions to become increasingly erratic, and clearly this is starting to happen both here and elsewhere. When scientific predictions start to come true, denial us simply obfuscation.

Obviously Australia isn’t solely responsible for climate change, but the current government is being rightly condemned for undermining international efforts take corrective action.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ozleicester said:

The water issue is a HUGE, but very separate problem. Im not going to go into the actual criminal activities by our government in their water management here as it should not distract from the real issue with the fires. 

The arsonists story is fake news, yes they exist (not in the numbers social media is reporting) but the problem remains that climate change has made the country more bushfire prone and at risk from more powerful bushfires, the fuel load is greater and the season starts earlier and goes longer so the arsonists get a much greater bang for buck.

Action on climate change wont change this next year... or even in 5 years... but it will begin to change it for 10,20 and 30 years into the future.

Ross Garnaut was a climate scientist tasked with planning for climate change about 15 years ago... this is a part of his report...

image.png.dfcdb3b4e341708569ba380780d77a71.png

The government have ignored and avoided and derided his report and have the worst government action on climate change in the first world.

Got to be honest, im pretty tired of the stupidity of this discussion (not aimed at people here).. the climate is changing... evidence proves it is worsened by human intervention and because of $ we still do not act. Even when we see the WORST FIRES ON RECORD.

Whilst I don’t disagree about needing action on climate change, to say climate change is the sole reason for these fires and our current situation is ludicrous and looks way to simply at a rather complex problem.

Like it or not due to legislation, (not saying it’s the greens) but legislation has changed meaning there has been less back burning and and Additional fuel on the ground, this has contributed to the severity of these fires. 
Fires have been started deliberately, and accidentally by humans - cigarettes thrown out of the window, lighting fires on total fire ban days, unbelievably still an ongoing issue. The weather lightning strikes are one of the main causes.

The mismanagement of the water ways is a huge issue, but a bigger one than this debate.

Now climate change is playing a part, the world is changing there is now very little doubt about that, but to say there aren’t other contributing factors isn’t right either.

I am also bemused by the fact people are calling these fires Australia’s worst ever, maybe this suits an agenda but certainly isn’t true. Only 11 years ago over 170 lives were lost in the Black Saturday fires in Victoria.

Lessons were not learnt from this and we have seen political inaction for so long on a whole range of issues, maybe this is down to the fact that we haven’t had a long term PM in that time, but budgets continue to be cut, warnings are ignored and problems continue.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant, and I do agree with parts of what you say, however looking at this as a single issue is way to simplistic.

4 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

That wasn't criticism of you, it was criticism of the media who perpetuate conspiracy theories without ever getting to the core of the issue.

Just using buzzwords for headlines won't solve or help anything.

As long as there are just constant accusations, but no proof to back it up, the media will continue to lose the audience.

That's what I'm fed up with. That and gullible people.

Fair enough, there does seem to be quite a bit of info coming out regarding this though, whistleblowers etc, not to mention the PM withholding a government report on the matter, which leads me to believe it's a little bit more than conspiracy theories.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Whilst I don’t disagree about needing action on climate change, to say climate change is the sole reason for these fires and our current situation is ludicrous and looks way to simply at a rather complex problem.

Like it or not due to legislation, (not saying it’s the greens) but legislation has changed meaning there has been less back burning and and Additional fuel on the ground, this has contributed to the severity of these fires. 
Fires have been started deliberately, and accidentally by humans - cigarettes thrown out of the window, lighting fires on total fire ban days, unbelievably still an ongoing issue. The weather lightning strikes are one of the main causes.

The mismanagement of the water ways is a huge issue, but a bigger one than this debate.

Now climate change is playing a part, the world is changing there is now very little doubt about that, but to say there aren’t other contributing factors isn’t right either.

I am also bemused by the fact people are calling these fires Australia’s worst ever, maybe this suits an agenda but certainly isn’t true. Only 11 years ago over 170 lives were lost in the Black Saturday fires in Victoria.

Lessons were not learnt from this and we have seen political inaction for so long on a whole range of issues, maybe this is down to the fact that we haven’t had a long term PM in that time, but budgets continue to be cut, warnings are ignored and problems continue.

Sorry if this sounds like a rant, and I do agree with parts of what you say, however looking at this as a single issue is way to simplistic.

I don’t think anyone is claiming that climate change is the only factor. Obviously mismanagement and budget cuts have played a role.

The Black Saturday fires were worse in terms of loss of life, but nowhere near as extensive. There seems to be a general consensus that these fires are the worst on record. Certainly firefighters seem to be saying that they are the worst conditions they have ever experienced. The record for the average temperature across Australia was broken at least twice in December.

As for less back burning, I was listening to a official (can’t remember which one) being asked about this and he seemed to indicate that it was mainly a matter of cost, as back burning is expensive to carry out.

There have always been fire starters unfortunately. As @ozleicester says, the current issue is that the fires being started by whatever cause are becoming more severe and out of control. Also, the fire season is starting earlier.

• Like 1

Guest MattP
2 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

RIcky Gervais' speech at the 2020 Golden Globes - priceless.

He roasted them so hard no end, and they hardly realized.

Absolutely magnificent. I doubt there has even been a more deserving audience at any oration in history.

26 minutes ago, MattP said:

Absolutely magnificent. I doubt there has even been a more deserving audience at any oration in history.

Just listened to it. Omg. The last piece about preachy actors and would work.for Isis given the chance. Brilliant.

A real human being giving elite lizards an absolute haymaker.

As per when urban posted the Gervais vid a page or two ago, I just wish the guy would punch up rather than down with his humour more.

11 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Early reports of 0 casualties, I hope that’s the case. 

I hope so too, if only for the reason that less casualties means less chance of further escalation.

8 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

If there are 0 casualties there's a chance it ends at that. 

I would like to think that the Iranian regime is not suicidal, but they are religious fundamentalists. And with Trump on the other side, not sure really what to expect.