Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grebfromgrebland

Also In The News

11 minutes ago, Milo said:

So long as it's consensual, fair play to her.

Views on "traditional" gender roles have never been the problem that has needed to be fought against - societal enforcement of them against consent, as has happened often in history, is.

8 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

So long as it's consensual, fair play to her.

Views on "traditional" gender roles have never been the problem that has needed to be fought against - societal enforcement of them against consent, as has happened often in history, is.

Yeah, agree. 

Probably a good debate to had over roles. 

I sent the link to my wife and got a middle finger response back. (I’m taking it as a ‘maybe’)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Milo said:

Yeah, agree. 

Probably a good debate to had over roles. 

I sent the link to my wife and got a middle finger response back. (I’m taking it as a ‘maybe’)

i've just sent it to my wife - two blue ticks on whatsapp and no reply is a good thing right?

Just now, Tommo220 said:

i've just sent it to my wife - two blue ticks on whatsapp and no reply is a good thing right?

Yeah, you’ll be fine there, mate. Dinner on the go as we speak, I’m sure. 

:ph34r:

• Haha 1

There's many things to be discussed about this and much of it likely borishly predictable. But I definitely didn't expect millennials to think the UK more important in the world than boomers. Maybe its the open ended nature of it and boomers think geopolitical but milenials think cultural. 

4 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

There's many things to be discussed about this and much of it likely borishly predictable. But I definitely didn't expect millennials to think the UK more important in the world than boomers. Maybe its the open ended nature of it and boomers think geopolitical but milenials think cultural. 

Interesting find!

It looks like such viewpoints are much more divided among ideological lines than age - a lot more difference between Leave and Remain voters than Millenials and Boomers.

FWIW I'd go with the geopolitical/economic power angle and rank the UK fourth behind the US, China and EU as I'm not really sure how quantifiable cultural influence is.

Laurence Fox giving Ricky Gervais a run for his money on TV going after the woke last night on QT.

Shami's face when he doesn't play ball with the feminism card lol

TSA agent pretends the braids of a Native American woman are horse reins and shouts 'Giddy-Up' during security screening.  How the agent thought this was appropriate is beyond me.:crylaugh:

'instead of simply conducting the standard check, "she pulled them behind my shoulders, laughed & said 'giddyup!' as she snapped my braids like reins" on a horse'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51144173

• Sad 1

On 17/01/2020 at 15:30, Messi said:

This has been doing the rounds on Twitter from 2003- mental 🤣

0F68678A-9732-40F9-85A7-A8E59C09AB44.png

The age of consent around the world varies from 10 - 21... and the UK it was 14 back in the 70s...whilst i disagree with young ages of consent.. its just arbitrary

http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/age-of-consent-by-country/

On 17/01/2020 at 16:20, MattP said:

Laurence Fox giving Ricky Gervais a run for his money on TV going after the woke last night on QT.

Shami's face when he doesn't play ball with the feminism card lol

This is the bit that wound people up the most:

And then LILY ****ING ALLEN posted this on her instagram:

19 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

This is the bit that wound people up the most:

And then LILY ****ING ALLEN posted this on her instagram:

Laurence Fox is somewhat blinded by his privilege in that he'll never experience the world in a way that someone of a different race and sex will and that leaves it open to him not seeing discrimination in places where perhaps some exists.

That being said, Lily Allen can't really speak for those who might experience such discrimination either and she shouldn't try, it harms far more than it helps.

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Laurence Fox is somewhat blinded by his privilege in that he'll never experience the world in a way that someone of a different race and sex will and that leaves it open to him not seeing discrimination in places where perhaps some exists.

That being said, Lily Allen can't really speak for those who might experience such discrimination either and she shouldn't try, it harms far more than it helps.

Does that mean no white male can?

11 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Does that mean no white male can?

It means that when someone like Fox says that the UK is the "most tolerant, lovely country" (which to be honest most of the time the UK can be IMO, just so it's certain where I stand on the matter but it very much is a matter of opinion) then perhaps he should add that it's in his own experience rather than as an absolute. That might sound obvious but it's amazing how often folks get opinion and fact mixed up.

24 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

perhaps he should add that it's in his own experience rather than as an absolute. That might sound obvious but it's amazing how often folks get opinion and fact mixed up.

That is a point worth making.

As a 'privelaged whites male' myself, I generally speaking don't face -ism problems in my daily life. None that I'm aware of anyway. I have to believe what I read and what I am told (now maybe I walk around with my eyes and ears closed but I don't even witness it regularly either, name calling aside) That's not to say that I'm not aware of individual's attitudes but I tend not to scale that up to generalise. Tbh, that does make me sometimes a little dubious and can have me thinking 'thou doth protest too much'

However, I accept that my privelage has made me blind to attitudes both in society and, it pains me to admit, probably within myself too.

In short, Fox may have been better served by accepting what was being said, bit his lip and used it as a chance to examine his own attitudes. But I do acknowledge that is a difficult thing to do, particularly when you believe you have done nothing 'wrong'.

Edited by mabrah
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, mabrah said:

That is a point worth making.

As a 'privelaged whites male' myself, I generally speaking don't face -ism problems in my daily life. None that I'm aware of anyway. I have to believe what I read and what I am told (now maybe I walk around with my eyes and ears closed but I don't even witness it regularly either, name calling aside) That's not to say that I'm not aware of individual's attitudes but I tend not to scale that up to generalise. Tbh, that does make me sometimes a little dubious and can have me thinking 'thou doth protest too much'

However, I accept that my privelage has made me blind to attitudes both in society and, it pains me to admit, probably within myself too.

In short, Fox may have been better served by accepting what was being said, bit his lip and used it as a chance to examine his own attitudes. But I do acknowledge that is a difficult thing to do, particularly when you believe you have done nothing 'wrong'.

That's about the size of it, really. I know I don't come across much in the way of xenophobia either in the UK or where I am now (other than the garden-variety "weigukin go home" that isn't as common as it once was) but I'm prepared to believe that at least most of the time folks who have different experiences to my own aren't talking out of their hat about them.

Of course Fox is free to say what his own experiences are and I wouldn't actually go far to say that he should just have accepted it; he's well within his rights to challenge the racism viewpoint with his own, but qualify his remarks.

• Like 1