Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grebfromgrebland

Also In The News

4 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Oh yeah, I'm by no means suggesting we let the workers go bust.  This whole scenario has underlined the need for a UBI.  It's an uncomfortable conversation that most governments have so far avoided but a lot of jobs have already become untenable and a lot more will follow when we slowly reopen and most high street businesses are operating at a reduced capacity because of social distancing. Obviously some companies like Amazon, couriers, and the supermarkets will continue to increase their workload and generate more jobs but I'm sceptical it can possibly offset the losses.  We're going to need to address this sooner rather than later.

I do understand what you’re getting at, I’d like to have seen UBI tried and tested by now to see the effects it has. 
Although, the near future is as good a time as any to trial it I suppose.

3 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

I used to deliver the Hamilton spectator in my youth and here it is linked on foxestalk. We've made it Hamilton! Lol

I like this but will believe if after an audit of where all the bailouts went. Sadly, i don't trust Trudeau with these sort of things.

Edited by Jattdogg

US courts block law that is being implemented in UK despite the same limited evidence of voter fraud:

A Kansas law requiring residents to prove their citizenship when they registered to vote is both illegal and unconstitutional, a federal appeals court ruled on Wednesday.

The law, which went into effect in 2013, required Kansans to show a document such as birth certificate or a passport when they went to register to vote. Before it was blocked by a lower court in 2016, it prevented around 30,000 people from registering to vote.

Kris Kobach, the former Kansas secretary of state nationally known for his anti-immigrant views and support of voting restrictions, championed the measure, saying it was necessary to prevent non-citizens from registering to vote in his state. In an unusual move, Kobach personally defended the measure in court in a 2018 trial.

Practically speaking, the ruling on Wednesday from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 10th circuit, upholds a lower court ruling from 2018. It does not change much in Kansas because the law was first blocked by a lower court in 2016.

But it offered more affirmation that there was not the kind of voter fraud in Kansas to justify the law, as Kobach claimed. The court noted that “at most” 39 non-citizens had registered to vote in Kansas over the last 19 years. Many of those cases, the court be explained by administrative error, and did not justify the burden placed on 30,000 voters.

Guest MattP
52 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Thoughts?

Good news. Facts still matter.

Courts > Social Justice.

17 minutes ago, MattP said:

Good news. Facts still matter.

Courts > Social Justice.

Megan Rapinoe is a shrill turd. Her 'I deserve this, I deserve everything' is hot garbage. 

I firmly believe in equality of pay between genders. Maybe there will be some investigation into why the women were paid MORE over the scrutinised period. 

Sometimes the fight is being fought just for fighting sake. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

Thoughts?

1 minute ago, foxile5 said:

Megan Rapinoe is a shrill turd. Her 'I deserve this, I deserve everything' is hot garbage. 

I firmly believe in equality of pay between genders. Maybe there will be some investigation into why the women were paid MORE over the scrutinised period. 

Sometimes the fight is being fought just for fighting sake. 

I'd be interested in how such pay is calculated anyway to be deemed "fair" or "unfair" - is it designed to be proportional to revenue brought in, based on other factors, or is it just an arbitrary amount?

Speaking personally I'm of the take that the fairest way to calculate sporting pay is indeed as a proportion of total spectator (and maybe sponsor) revenue brought in to that club or FA. Every front-line player - woman or man - gets the same percentage of that revenue, which of course then depends on whatever the amount of revenue might be. More popular and well-watched sportspeople get paid higher. I'm sure that line of reasoning is flawed somewhere, but it seems equitable enough.

• Like 1

Although it's good to see Ndidi get national recognition, I'm disappointed to see that Boris and Carrie have named their child Wilfred.....

I was hoping for Brexit Boris Winston Churchill De Pfeffeffeffel NHS Luis from Portugal Johnson - or Corona Carrie Margaret Thatcher Marina Petronella NHS Jenny from New Zealand Symonds for a girl.

Edited by Alf Bentley

12 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Although it's good to see Ndidi get national recognition, I'm disappointed to see that Boris and Carrie have named their child Wilfred.....

I was hoping for Brexit Boris Winston Churchill De Pfeffeffeffel NHS Luis from Portugal Johnson - or Corona Carrie Margaret Thatcher Marina Petronella NHS Jenny from New Zealand Symonds for a girl.

"If it's a girl they're going to call it Sigourney, after some actress.

If it's a boy they're going to call it Rodney.

After Dave."

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, urban.spaceman said:

Florida man protests beaches being reopened by going down to the beach.

Dressed as the Grim Reaper.

image.thumb.png.1146c57011949137b4d242360a5d45b0.png

Think this was in another topic (maybe the coronavirus one?!). As at the bottom, he's a lawyer and he actually had a point as to why he's doing it! 

Guest MattP

Gov firing early shots over BBC CV coverage.

The panorama episode appears to be disgraceful, not one, but every single person interviewed on the show was some sort of Labour activist.

I’d prefer the decision as to whether the BBC is independent and should continue under its present model to be determined as a result of an independent review as opposed to by a government that has a vested interest in its output and who has already decided that the broadcaster is inherently biased against it. 

• Like 4

Guest MattP
12 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

I’d prefer the decision as to whether the BBC is independent and should continue under its present model to be determined as a result of an independent review as opposed to by a government that has a vested interest in its output and who has already decided that the broadcaster is inherently biased against it. 

Personally I'm happy to let the public decide. This nonsense certainly can't go on as it though, its been beyond a joke for a while but it's a bit more ridiculous during a pandemic.

Now Corbyn has gone and they've got their boy Kier in it will only get worse as well.

14 minutes ago, MattP said:

Personally I'm happy to let the public decide. This nonsense certainly can't go on as it though, its been beyond a joke for a while but it's a bit more ridiculous during a pandemic.

Now Corbyn has gone and they've got their boy Kier in it will only get worse as well.

We send the bbc £3.6 billion a year, let’s give that to the NHS instead ;)

31 minutes ago, MattP said:

The same public that pull stuff like this?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52501417

I mean, I do see what you mean, though - full democratic decisions are what any free country should be striving towards in principle, but in practice...

What was it that Churchill said? "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the other ones that have been tried.” Mind you, he also said "The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter", so I think he saw both sides very clearly.

NB. Never really understood the accusations of "BBC bias" in any case - not without some kind of completely independent inquiry to prove them rather than from vested interests. Pretty much every government of any stripe of the last few decades has bitched about the Beeb getting under their skin.

• Like 1