Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Stadium Expansion...?

Part of me still hankers for us to get a bit shit so I can get my ST back. Until then, I’ll take on the pitch success over having extra seats and getting one.

Edited by Daggers

1 hour ago, iancognito said:

15 years. Spurs initial plans dated back to 2006 too

Spurs built a massive great stadium in the middle of one of the most expensive cities in the world.

Everton are building a new stadium in the middle of a world heritage site.

We're talking about slapping an extra tier on the East Stand.

We've missed a massive opportunity here but then again considering we've never heard anything official from the club apart from a couple of statements from the owners spread out over a few years I'm skeptical this was ever really a thing in the first place.  

Maybe close the thread until we get something official from the club?

1 hour ago, Fox in the North said:

Exactly. Admittedly they had a full stadium rebuild/relocation, but equally the club is not looking to just expand a stand. They’re looking to how best use the space for the club’s long term future.

Also as the EON building has become available that may have completely altered some of the plans. Who knows what the club may be planning if they own the whole section of land. 

Evertons new ground is right on a waterway and technically difficult but the planning process would've been considerable more difficult than ours due to its location and therefore aesthetic.

That E.on building has been known about for a year and was sold very quickly and around the same time as those leaked elevations came out.

Planning will be a breeze for what we are doing and with £4.2m technical work done already (instead of Everton I.e. having to do a lot of reports and amendments within their process as opposed to before) then we should be fine to start within 6 months of an application submission.

I disagree with some that it's the wrong time too because loans have already been taken out for this redevelopment and if we can knock the development on its head inside of 2 years then that'd be great.

1 hour ago, BlueSi13 said:

Spurs built a massive great stadium in the middle of one of the most expensive cities in the world.

We've missed a massive opportunity here but then again considering we've never heard anything official from the club apart from a couple of statements from the owners spread out over a few years I'm skeptical this was ever really a thing in the first place.  

...I think this club is innovative, and as such I agree that new land acquisition could have significantly altered King Powers plans!!!

It is not just about adding a new layer on to a stand, there need to be some aspect of future proofing (so a restructuring of the foundations will be required) and the timing could not have been worse in respect of a pandemic.

The restrictions forced on the workforce building the new training facilities would have reduced the amount of workers allowed to legally work at any one time and with any delay there is a cost implication.

There will be a delay, and it may just have been a blessing, as it may just afford us to use the new space better and perhaps has taken on board fans suggestions, of a Fanzone and some kind of leisure area,  it will be just about implementing them.

10 hours ago, BlueSi13 said:

A few differences between us on Everton / Spurs:

Their fan base to attract (as well as the city they are in) are fairly bigger. 

We are balancing a lot....wages, growth, training ground, actual buying players and consistently breaking our transfer records. 

More importantly those 2 teams do indeed have fantastic stadiums.....but are awful on the pitch with very little / nothing to show for it. 

I wouldn't be against moving away from the current site.  Maybe the Covid interruption has allowed KP some time to review this. After all, the new training site was built in a new location rather than developing the old site and KP love making a statement with things like this.

It would have the advantage of being able to play at the current ground whilst the new one is being built. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eskay said:

A few differences between us on Everton / Spurs:

Their fan base to attract (as well as the city they are in) are fairly bigger. 

We are balancing a lot....wages, growth, training ground, actual buying players and consistently breaking our transfer records. 

More importantly those 2 teams do indeed have fantastic stadiums.....but are awful on the pitch with very little / nothing to show for it. 

Their fan base and cities are bigger, but they are also not one team cities, and not the biggest teams in their city. As others have pointed out, Spurs is the first really "modern" stadium in the UK, designed primarily for income maximization. It was just their bad luck that they got hit by a pandemic that meant they got zilch for two years (in fact, it was such Spursy luck, I think we would all be justified in blaming the pandemic on the higher powers' loathing of Spurs.)

The fact is, we currently have the stadium of a yo-yo team, and we are sliding down the table as more clubs upgrade. The training ground is amazing, and a draw for players. But the stadium doesn't scream "Top 7" to players, and is fact rather drab. 

Leicester should aim to have the biggest stadium in the Midlands, and King Power is just the company to make it the best stadium experience in the country. I hope that's what the aim to do, and that's one of the reasons we aren't getting a lot of details (but to be fair, Top did mention stadium expansion in his letter to the fans.)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Focks said:

I wouldn't be against moving away from the current site.  Maybe the Covid interruption has allowed KP some time to review this. After all, the new training site was built in a new location rather than developing the old site and KP love making a statement with things like this.

It would have the advantage of being able to play at the current ground whilst the new one is being built. 

I think they will do a major expansion, but in stages to keep disruption to scheduling to a minimum. I could see during the final push, they might try and switch around the schedule to play away games at the end and beginning of the season in the final push, like Liverpool did to a less extent.

Of course, they could buy the Tigers (for less than a left back costs in this market), and play a couple of games at Welford Road, but that would cause some howls.

I got pelters for daring to criticise the gods that own and manage (at CEO/director level) our club in this thread a few months ago, so I'm posting again with trepidation! My central point was, and is, that one thing the club is poor at is communication. We have no idea what's planned nor for when. We don't even know for certain that the club is committed to expanding the stadium.

Yes, there may be, and probably are, all sorts of reasons why a clear statement isn't yet possible, but a word as to the direction of travel?

We are I'm afraid left to infer and assume based on fan surveys and amounts spent by the club on architects and engineers. 

I think the club could do better. Loads will disagree, and that's fine.

Edited by Steve Earle
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

I got pelters for daring to criticise the gods that own and manage (at CEO/director level) our club in this thread a few months ago, so I'm posting again with trepidation! My central point was, and is, that one thig the club is poor at is communication. We have no idea what's planned nor for when. We don't even know for certain that the club is committed to expanding the stadium.

Yes, there may be, and probably are, all sorts of reasons why a clear statement isn't yet possible, but a word as to the direction of travel?

We are I'm afraid left to infer and assume based on fan surveys and amounts spent by the club on architects and engineers. 

I don't think that's one thing anyone can argue with. We're poor at communication, that's from the ticket office though to around the training ground and stadium. 

All depends how you present a point, as some people get overly offensive or defensive on certain subjects. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Noooo! This area is our spiritual home, our Manor, and given what has happened there we should never move. 

It's really difficult when someone posts something I strongly agree with on one level, and strongly disagree with on another :)

I would imagine the delay will either be because of the completion of the purchase of the land behind the east stand or the decrease of revenue during 2020-21 or both. The big hold up for years has been acquiring the land otherwise it would have gone ahead years ago 

Edited by Jace
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Steve Earle said:

I got pelters for daring to criticise the gods that own and manage (at CEO/director level) our club in this thread a few months ago, so I'm posting again with trepidation! My central point was, and is, that one thing the club is poor at is communication. We have no idea what's planned nor for when. We don't even know for certain that the club is committed to expanding the stadium.

It’s none of our business. 

26 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

Interesting. Why do you say that?

Because it’s not, it’s a private company, a business. They have no requirement to keep updating their customers on every decision.

They stated they were looking into it, it’s a big undertaking and we are in the middle of a pandemic with the club losing money.

People could just use their brains and understand that it’s complicated and costly and they’ll tell us something when good and ready.

Do you expect them to update us on all the other decision making that goes on?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, BlueSi13 said:

The Tottenham area has had significant investment. I'm sure the stadium is all part of that re-development

10 hours ago, Focks said:

I'm amazed more people haven't speculated on this..

The family.never do.anything by halves. Yet our fanbase seem.convinced they'll just stick 8000 seats with binoculars incongruously on top the East stand..

I reckon it'll be a root and branch redevelopment either at the KP done in stages, a complete rebuild of the KP (with a year or two needed at the Ricoh) or, a long shot, a new multipurpose stadium.on a new site

20 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Because it’s not, it’s a private company, a business. They have no requirement to keep updating their customers on every decision.

They stated they were looking into it, it’s a big undertaking and we are in the middle of a pandemic with the club losing money.

People could just use their brains and understand that it’s complicated and costly and they’ll tell us something when good and ready.

Do you expect them to update us on all the other decision making that goes on?

Ah that old chestnut!

No I don’t, and of course the shareholders of the club are under no obligation to tell us anything at all about their business.

The fans however are key stakeholders in this business (a major if not any longer the most important source of revenue). Owners of any business disregard their key stakeholders at their peril.

All I’m arguing for is good leadership and good communication. You’re right, they don’t have to, but they’d be doing their jobs better, and showing that the fans matter, if they chose to keep us broadly informed about such a huge undertaking.

1 minute ago, Steve Earle said:

Ah that old chestnut!

No I don’t, and of course the shareholders of the club are under no obligation to tell us anything at all about their business.

The fans however are key stakeholders in this business (a major if not any longer the most important source of revenue). Owners of any business disregard their key stakeholders at their peril.

All I’m arguing for is good leadership and good communication. You’re right, they don’t have to, but they’d be doing their jobs better, and showing that the fans matter, if they chose to keep us broadly informed about such a huge undertaking.

Updating fans on a potential ground increase has pretty much zero impact on fans going into the ground or spending their money or supporting their club.

Unless someone has a brian injury they aren’t going to stop going down because the club had the temerity to not inform them about an ongoing project that has nothing to do with them.

I mean, we’ve just lost huge amounts of money. What sort of messages does it send out to say “well, we’ve got no money at the minute. Soz”. They gain nothing.

The neediness of fans is ridiculous, “I want to know, so tell me”.

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Updating fans on a potential ground increase has pretty much zero impact on fans going into the ground or spending their money or supporting their club.

Unless someone has a brian injury they aren’t going to stop going down because the club had the temerity to not inform them about an ongoing project that has nothing to do with them.

I mean, we’ve just lost huge amounts of money. What sort of messages does it send out to say “well, we’ve got no money at the minute. Soz”. They gain nothing.

Jesus. lol 

The owners themselves have spoken openly about expanding the stadium on multiple occasions over the past few years.  So is it so outrageous to ask for an update after hearing absolutely nothing for so long?  

We're not asking for the minutes from their board meetings.

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

Well you’ve had two pops at me now. I ignored the first but I won’t let it pass this time.

‘People’ can have brains and different views to your own, and I’m not in any way ‘needy’ nor have remotely suggested ‘I want to know so tell me’. 

Always happy to exchange views. Mine is that the club are poor communicators. Yours appears to be that for holding that view I should be insulted or condescended to.

Ho hum.

Just now, BlueSi13 said:

Jesus. lol 

The owners themselves have spoken openly about expanding the stadium on multiple occasions over the past few years.  So is it so outrageous to ask for an update after hearing absolutely nothing for so long?  

We're not asking for the minutes from their board meetings.

So why can’t you just wait for them to update you when they have something to say?

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

So why can’t you just wait for them to update you when they have something to say?

Haven't really got a choice about that!  I'm not banging on doors at the KP demanding an update! 

Just a few of us have expressed disappointment that we haven't heard anything for so long!