Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Stadium Expansion...?

2 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

Well you’ve had two pops at me now. I ignored the first but I won’t let it pass this time.

‘People’ can have brains and different views to your own, and I’m not in any way ‘needy’ nor have remotely suggested ‘I want to know so tell me’. 

Always happy to exchange views. Mine is that the club are poor communicators. Yours appears to be that for holding that view I should be insulted or condescended to.

Ho hum.

It’s exactly what you are doing. You want to satisfy your own curiosity.

11 hours ago, Focks said:

I wouldn't be against moving away from the current site.  Maybe the Covid interruption has allowed KP some time to review this. After all, the new training site was built in a new location rather than developing the old site and KP love making a statement with things like this.

It would have the advantage of being able to play at the current ground whilst the new one is being built. 

I really wouldn’t understand a new location. If the club have indeed bought the EON building and would expand or rebuild the site completely, then they will have a sizeable chunk of land to build a fantastic stadium/facility.

Where would the new location be? Anywhere near the outskirts would be a man absolute no from me. It takes away all of the pre match routine and detaches the club from the city. Just look at Coventry as to how things have stagnated (admittedly there are plenty of other things going on there!).

The best thing the club did when we moved to the King Power stadium was to keep things as close to normal as possible.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

Haven't really got a choice about that!  I'm not banging on doors at the KP demanding an update! 

Just a few of us have expressed disappointment that we haven't heard anything for so long!

We are in a pandemic, the club has been losing money hand over fist. Does that really need explaining?

They said “we intend to resume consultation on stadium expansion by the end of 2020" but a lot of shit has happened. 

We could be in critical negotiations with the council about planning and potential conditions etc. I’m which case they’d be utterly stupid to say anything.

We could be rethinking everything due to the EON building becoming available.

Other than a “yeah we’re still thinking about it” I don’t know what people expect.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Babylon said:

It’s exactly what you are doing. You want to satisfy your own curiosity.

Read the thread. I might well be curious but I’m not asking for information. I’m asking the club’s leaders to be better communicators.

I’ll let you have the last word now. I suspect that’s important to you.

13 hours ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Their fan base and cities are bigger, but they are also not one team cities, and not the biggest teams in their city. As others have pointed out, Spurs is the first really "modern" stadium in the UK, designed primarily for income maximization. It was just their bad luck that they got hit by a pandemic that meant they got zilch for two years (in fact, it was such Spursy luck, I think we would all be justified in blaming the pandemic on the higher powers' loathing of Spurs.)

The fact is, we currently have the stadium of a yo-yo team, and we are sliding down the table as more clubs upgrade. The training ground is amazing, and a draw for players. But the stadium doesn't scream "Top 7" to players, and is fact rather drab. 

Leicester should aim to have the biggest stadium in the Midlands, and King Power is just the company to make it the best stadium experience in the country. I hope that's what the aim to do, and that's one of the reasons we aren't getting a lot of details (but to be fair, Top did mention stadium expansion in his letter to the fans.)

This one club city thing is a bit of a myth.We have competition from the Tigers.Ok some watch both and the rugby club may even be after a different demographic.They also play less matches.I would still say they’re the equivalent of a decent League one side.Lot’s of other similar sized towns don’t have this potential problem.

Presumably when they've actually got something to say about it, they'll say it. They're not going to go into microscopic detail about the process and I can't see what good a monthly update that would likely amount to "we'd still like to do it but a lot has happened so it's taking a while" is going do.

On 05/07/2021 at 21:29, BlueSi13 said:

Spurs built a massive great stadium in the middle of one of the most expensive cities in the world.

Everton are building a new stadium in the middle of a world heritage site.

We're talking about slapping an extra tier on the East Stand.

We've missed a massive opportunity here but then again considering we've never heard anything official from the club apart from a couple of statements from the owners spread out over a few years I'm skeptical this was ever really a thing in the first place.  

Maybe close the thread until we get something official from the club?

Despite people already having quoted sums of around £4M on consultations and pre-planning and there? It's not just an extra tier on the East Stand at all, the club has spent a couple of years now aquiring the land behind that stand and given what was achieved at Seagrave and that the loans for the extension were secured two years ago I don't know why you'd be skeptical. No-one can say King Power haven't delivered everything they promised and more.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Every club can do better on and off the field, no question.

And while they're not beyond criticism, they're the best owners we've had and ever likely to have so probably deserve to be a cut a wee bit of slack here and there.

:appl:

8 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Every club can do better on and off the field, no question.

And while they're not beyond criticism, they're the best owners we've had and ever likely to have so probably deserve to be a cut a wee bit of slack here and there.

Totally agree Geoff. But they could do better. It's not just the stadium - we've had poor comms around ticketing, merchandise and Seagrave too. And it's not as though they don't recognise the importance of keeping the fans onside - for example all the freebies we get at matches from the club. It's just puzzling to me that they don't try a little harder in this one area.

11 hours ago, Fox in the North said:

I really wouldn’t understand a new location. If the club have indeed bought the EON building and would expand or rebuild the site completely, then they will have a sizeable chunk of land to build a fantastic stadium/facility.

Where would the new location be? Anywhere near the outskirts would be a man absolute no from me. It takes away all of the pre match routine and detaches the club from the city. Just look at Coventry as to how things have stagnated (admittedly there are plenty of other things going on there!).

The best thing the club did when we moved to the King Power stadium was to keep things as close to normal as possible.

I'd like to give this 10 likes.

12 hours ago, Steve Earle said:

Well you’ve had two pops at me now. I ignored the first but I won’t let it pass this time.

‘People’ can have brains and different views to your own, and I’m not in any way ‘needy’ nor have remotely suggested ‘I want to know so tell me’. 

Always happy to exchange views. Mine is that the club are poor communicators. Yours appears to be that for holding that view I should be insulted or condescended to.

Ho hum.

I'm not so sure the club in all areas are poor communicators. It's more a case of once its sorted we will release the news. Just as we dont do our transfer business in the media.

Like our transfers news will break when something concrete can be reported.

12 hours ago, Fox in the North said:

Agree entirely - imagine if the club had taken up the offer of land from Wheatcroft? Was never going to happen, but we would have been closer to Derby and Nottingham. The Bede Island development sounded interesting at the time, but the city council recommended the plans be refused, citing the fact that the 100,000 square feet of retail space pro­posed for the site contravened government planning guidelines. The government's backing of regeneration through brownfield sites during the late 90s would have seen us out of town and I agree that this disconnect completely disrupts the matchday experience. Like you said, one of the best decisions when building the Walkers Stadium was to place it 300 yards from the Filbert Street location. 

• Like 1

Mercury has an article today about the putney Road / Aylestone Road link along with a super crossing that is starting work today, to which the city Councillor for transport says will improve links for the University and proposed football stadium expansion!

I put two and two together and assumed he means the KP. Good to know that the city Council transport department are well aware of the plans though.

46 minutes ago, TWUKO said:

Mercury has an article today about the putney Road / Aylestone Road link along with a super crossing that is starting work today, to which the city Councillor for transport says will improve links for the University and proposed football stadium expansion!

I put two and two together and assumed he means the KP. Good to know that the city Council transport department are well aware of the plans though.

What's a super crossing? Is that an online Mercury article or just printed? 

22 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

What's a super crossing? Is that an online Mercury article or just printed? 

THe one outside the Railway Station is a Super Crossing, it's basically just wider so more people can cross in one go staying on the crossing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Billynomates said:

Intention is to submit for planning permission by end of august which allows three month consultation process for contractor to then start by March of next year. Demo and enabling works. Lots of redesign being completed and still reservations on hotel/accommodation block and office block. Between now and start of September I wouldn’t expect any announcements. But equally as no body is formally in a contract this could all unravel easily. There is slow progress though, but no rush.

Do you know if they have bought the eon site?