Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Stadium Expansion...?

8 minutes ago, Billynomates said:

Positive the purchase was last summer.

I thought that was the National Grid building outside the East Stand? The eon site on the corner of Aylestone Rd and Raw Dykes Rd only came up for sale this year, I think. 

54 minutes ago, Billynomates said:

Intention is to submit for planning permission by end of august which allows three month consultation process for contractor to then start by March of next year. Demo and enabling works. Lots of redesign being completed and still reservations on hotel/accommodation block and office block. Between now and start of September I wouldn’t expect any announcements. But equally as no body is formally in a contract this could all unravel easily. There is slow progress though, but no rush.

Yeah I'd be surprised if we were still planning to build an office block, much more risky investment post-Covid

I'd still hope they keep the rumoured arena - I don't live in Leicester, but agree with those who say it would be a good addition to the area 

Not sure about the hotel. I suppose the business case for that is linked with the arena so might have to make a wider call 

37 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

I thought that was the National Grid building outside the East Stand? The eon site on the corner of Aylestone Rd and Raw Dykes Rd only came up for sale this year, I think. 

I think we’re talking about the same place. National grid is the building classed as heritage isn’t it? Whatever is on the corner is the one which was purchased.

23 minutes ago, leicesterseddon said:

Yeah I'd be surprised if we were still planning to build an office block, much more risky investment post-Covid

I'd still hope they keep the rumoured arena - I don't live in Leicester, but agree with those who say it would be a good addition to the area 

Not sure about the hotel. I suppose the business case for that is linked with the arena so might have to make a wider call 

I wonder if the announcement the Morningside arena is expanding would affect this -- I think it was originally presumed the Riders would play in the proposed King Power arena. Of course, Morningside won't be increasing capacity, so theoretically Riders operations could stay there and games played at the proposed KP arena.

I would love an ice hockey team. We use to have a non-affiliated hockey team in Austin in the 90s, and bad ice hockey is the best ice hockey.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Billynomates said:

I think we’re talking about the same place. National grid is the building classed as heritage isn’t it? Whatever is on the corner is the one which was purchased.

This one... 

resize.jpeg

16 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

I wonder if the announcement the Morningside arena is expanding would affect this -- I think it was originally presumed the Riders would play in the proposed King Power arena. Of course, Morningside won't be increasing capacity, so theoretically Riders operations could stay there and games played at the proposed KP arena.

I would love an ice hockey team. We use to have a non-affiliated hockey team in Austin in the 90s, and bad ice hockey is the best ice hockey.

They could have more of this....

Thai Fight Comes To King Power Stadium

Leicester City Football Club will stage a celebration of Thai sporting culture next month, as King Power Stadium plays host to THAI FIGHT EXTREME 2012!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, davieG said:

They could have more of this....

Thai Fight Comes To King Power Stadium

Leicester City Football Club will stage a celebration of Thai sporting culture next month, as King Power Stadium plays host to THAI FIGHT EXTREME 2012!

Severely delayed! Seriously though, some kind of Thai boxing tournament would be absolutely brilliant at the KP.

12 hours ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Riders won’t move there IMO. They get 100% profit having their own place and wouldn’t want to pay rent. In having their own place they have become one of the few self funding British basketball clubs. They also make a lot of money from Asian weddings hence the reasoning for the extension 

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I suspect there was a revision with acquiring additional space and this is going to be bigger than we first thought!!!

As I said before, KP do not do things by half, this is going to be a big deal that will encompass the fanzone for match days, everything that is club related.

It’s still the East stand getting a stand put on it.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.....I suspect it will be much more than that!!!

In terms of facilities there's a bit more. But in terms of the actual capacity just the east stand and only 40k.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

In terms of facilities there's a bit more. But in terms of the actual capacity just the east stand and only 40k.

If true it's kind of what a few people feared, just a slightly larger version of the Cardiff City expansion.

Hopefully that isn't the case.

28 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

If true it's kind of what a few people feared, just a slightly larger version of the Cardiff City expansion.

Hopefully that isn't the case.

I'm not sure. There's definitely a hotel. But the residential part seems new. I think the extention will be better than cardiffs because its being done so the new stand can house a new club mega store and hospitality etc. It doesn't specify yet If the hotel is part of that structure or separate. Seems we may get more info ahead of the public seeing it in August.

• Like 1