Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Stadium Expansion...?

44 minutes ago, leicesterseddon said:

Re: transport, other than giving money towards existing infrastructure (e.g. Park & Ride, etc), there’s not much the club can do surely? 

Well I guess if they can find the parking facilities around the County/City Border and at the Stadium they could run multiple P&Rs but they failed last time and I'm sure it would be harder now.

They could buy up the Gas Works site which I believe is being vacated to run the P&R from and I'm fairly sure the Enderby and Birstall car parks are never fully utilised if the City/County aren't prepared to run something but they seem hopelessly out of touch as they didn't run the Enderby pass the Royal until people complained.

53 minutes ago, leicesterseddon said:

Re: transport, other than giving money towards existing infrastructure (e.g. Park & Ride, etc), there’s not much the club can do surely? 

I would expect planning approval will come with section 106 agreements. Perhaps the club will be expected to pay for improvements to the Aylestone Rd/Raw Dykes Rd junction? And others? 

13 hours ago, Spudulike said:

You would hope the architects have been working very closely with the council planners so that most (if not all) issues have been ironed out by the time an application is made. The delays will be determined by the amount of public opposition it provokes. 

Even if they do that. Certain things have time restrictions, they have to make all locals aware and give them time to respond and complain. It only takes one complaint to hold it up and for others to then respond.

Try building a free standing garage on your own property.

6 hours ago, UHDrive said:

It certainly wouldn't get completed by 2022 that's for sure 

It wont get through planning by 22 if they submit it now. Then you can add a year before serious construction starts.

12 minutes ago, sylofox said:

It wont get through planning by 22 if they submit it now. Then you can add a year before serious construction starts.

Planning would take a max 16 weeks (and that's the extended version by law). I figure get it approved by early spring and then start the groundworks and other works to the whole site.

Interestingly they let the person who dealt with the training ground planning application go recently.

So that would suggest this next project has gone on hold for a while. As apparently she was very good, former council employee so knew all the ins and outs of the application process. 

Think the hit taken by the club because of covid will mean until we get full capacity crowds back this is on the back burner. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

Interestingly they let the person who dealt with the training ground planning application go recently.

So that would suggest this next project has gone on hold for a while. As apparently she was very good, former council employee so knew all the ins and outs of the application process. 

Think the hit taken by the club because of covid will mean until we get full capacity crowds back this is on the back burner. 

If that is indeed so then it would be good club PR to give us an update. Doesn't need to be a grand announcement but just a few lines in the programme notes to say that stadium expansion/upgrade is not being actively perused at this point due to many factors currently affecting world football. 

Saves the constant speculation. 

• Like 2

The club and council have met on a number of occasions to discuss the plans. 

I'd imagine Soulsby will be fully supportive due to the profile the club's success brings to the city.  With a potential new arena too another facility the city desperately needs. It'd be interesting to see what section 106 agreements could be made.

I'm sure Soulsby would like assistance in opening up the Ivanhoe line but that would surely take years and depend on many other agencies and parties. Even if the line was upgraded so trains could join the mainline northbound, you'd still need a company to run any trains. 

I think the reality is any negotiations between the club and council will be what other developments the council will allow on the site to help the club fund the build. 

On 30/06/2021 at 19:20, Spudulike said:

I would expect planning approval will come with section 106 agreements. Perhaps the club will be expected to pay for improvements to the Aylestone Rd/Raw Dykes Rd junction? And others? 

The highways is done under a S278 agreement so all roads that need building or amending will come under that and the associated adoption fee/bond. The S106/S278 are linked in that subject to landscaping approvals under the planning application with trees/shrubs/stone paving etc (that sit within the adopted areas) for highways etc then all of those items I.e landscaping will have to match the planning approved plans and that once adopted the council will take legal ownership and the bond released.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, UHDrive said:

Anybody think that the new signings have been shown anything to do with the stadium redevelopment as a dangled carrot? 

No, but it may have been suggested that these were medium term plans.

28 minutes ago, MGLCFC said:

No, but it may have been suggested that these were medium term plans.

True, I'd imagine they'd have said something. The application is ready given how much they've spent on consultant's.

11 hours ago, Dirkster the Fox said:

I think we are at that tipping point now though, where in reality, with the fantastic almost world leading training facility built and the continued on the pitch success, we are set in this league.

I think we're at the point of justifying a larger stadium which would get regularly filled.  Think of the many older kids, teenagers who are now young adults who almost en masse in the local counties, will now consider themselves Leicester City fans.  A generation is growing up with us being a major force in the sport and now is the moment to further harness this.

Its time. Get on with it.

I can understand hesitating a bit because of Covid -- just waiting to see what it's like in January before proceeding (as others have said, they seem to have plans pretty much ready to go for the next step.)

I was very surprised that I got season tickets. I lost in the draw, but was called this week due to the fact they still had season ticket spots available in the Family Stand. But the Family Stand was shrunk this year, which means most of those ahead of me in line don't have kids, and I have only lived in Leicester since Fall 2017.

I know from my (pre-Covid) experience at my boys' school, a lot of parents had no idea they could get tickets fairly easily to games (at least, if they got memberships), assuming they were just sold out through season ticket holders. At the same kind, probably 90 percent of the kit-wearing kids are wearing LCFC kit. But few of them have ever been to a game. Expanding the stadium is not just going to be a "build it and they will come" moment, but will involve getting "on TV" family supporters to the stadium. Which means more than just adding a second tier to one of the stands. They have to make sure it is a good "family experience."

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

Yay 101 pages of absolutely nothing.

Not going to lie, it's disappointing.  

We're now an established top 6 Premier League side so if now isn't the time, when is?

....not let us down yet and I suspect that something out of the ordinary is being planned!!!

Going only by what has happened to this club whilst King Power has been at the helm, I am convinced they have not reneged on the expansion and are about to once again go above and beyond for this project!!!

56 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

We're now an established top 6 Premier League side so if now isn't the time, when is?

Kind of got excited when I saw there was a new reply :(

1 hour ago, BlueSi13 said:

In normal circumstances you'd likely be right. But, coming out of a pandemic, seeing the financial state of Spurs who made the huge investment just before the pandemic, gives reasons to be cautious on huge financial investments. We'd just invested in a new training ground as well.

Yes, it was a perfect time for work to happen with people being away however. 

5 hours ago, BlueSi13 said:

Well a global pandemic isn’t going to help any project off the ground. I mean the club has financed a mahoosive training ground. Compared to other similar sized clubs, the owners have done quite a bit in terms of infrastructure already. 

Personally I think it’s worth noting the amount of time it’s taken for Everton’s project to come this far.

32 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

Well a global pandemic isn’t going to help any project off the ground. I mean the club has financed a mahoosive training ground. Compared to other similar sized clubs, the owners have done quite a bit in terms of infrastructure already. 

Personally I think it’s worth noting the amount of time it’s taken for Everton’s project to come this far.

15 years. Spurs initial plans dated back to 2006 too

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, iancognito said:

15 years. Spurs initial plans dated back to 2006 too

Exactly. Admittedly they had a full stadium rebuild/relocation, but equally the club is not looking to just expand a stand. They’re looking to how best use the space for the club’s long term future.

Also as the EON building has become available that may have completely altered some of the plans. Who knows what the club may be planning if they own the whole section of land.