Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
That_Dude

Ayoze Pérez

On 12/05/2021 at 13:00, dmayne7 said:

Don't actually remember him doing anything with the ball but will say that he did a brilliant job defensively yesterday. Supremely disciplined.

This is it precisely, we press far better when Perez is on the pitch. It is Shinji all over again really.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

This is it precisely, we press far better when Perez is on the pitch. It is Shinji all over again really.

Not saying Perez is in our best XI when everyone is fit, of course, but he will give fellow attacking players the ball back on a regular basis, and he will press.

2 minutes ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

Not saying Perez is in our best XI when everyone is fit, of course, but he will give fellow attacking players the ball back on a regular basis, and he will press.

... and he'll give the opposition the ball back on a regular basis too!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, weller54 said:

... and he'll give the opposition the ball back on a regular basis too!

Perhaps the same could be said for some of the others...but, you’re talking about Perez aren’t you. Silly me

17 minutes ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

Not sure I'd put him on Shinji's level in terms of importance to the team but felt it worked well with Maddison not fully fit but able to give us that level extra quality off the bench.

On 12/05/2021 at 12:41, Nick said:

He's a baller but one that runs in to trouble and is persistently stripped or knocked off the ball and it's frustrating. The occasions he holds on to it and it stays with him, he's capable of a bit of final third magic but we are just not seeing it enough in a formation with less of our players around him and more of the oppositions as forward outlets are down basically to to two in front of him.

baller
/ˈbɔːlə/

noun
  1. 1.
    a person or device that makes or forms something into balls.
    "a melon baller"

2. 2.
    INFORMALUS
    a player of a ball game, especially a talented basketball player.
    "he's a baller who will take an open shot or create one"
adjective
INFORMALUS
  1. extremely good or impressive; excellent.
    "it was a pretty baller time, overall"

I've always thought of the term 'Baller' as an unfortunate Americanism that's sadly crept in. However, if applied to Perez, whilst I would hotly dispute the latter ie 'extremely good or impressive ', I can see a certain promise regarding the forming of melon balls or perhaps a sideways move into basketball. The former may come in very handy for the next party he throws.

8 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

baller
/ˈbɔːlə/

noun
  1. 1.
    a person or device that makes or forms something into balls.
    "a melon baller"

2. 2.
    INFORMALUS
    a player of a ball game, especially a talented basketball player.
    "he's a baller who will take an open shot or create one"

adjective
INFORMALUS
  1. extremely good or impressive; excellent.
    "it was a pretty baller time, overall"

I've always thought of the term 'Baller' as an unfortunate Americanism that's sadly crept in. However, if applied to Perez, whilst I would hotly dispute the latter ie 'extremely good or impressive ', I can see a certain promise regarding the forming of melon balls or perhaps a sideways move into basketball. The former may come in very handy for the next party he throws.

Well he plays footballer professionally, so would say he must be at least excellent at it, no?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Well he plays footballer professionally, so would say he must be at least excellent at it, no?

Yes, in fairness, you have to be right by definition. The same would have to be said about any player in the various divisions being paid to do it for a living compared to us lesser mortals. I suppose we then go a little bit further and judge the individual player in comparison to other professionals deemed to be on a similar level it's picky and subjective. Just in my opinion, on that particular level of excellence, Perez falls well short.

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

Yes, in fairness, you have to be right by definition. The same would have to be said about any player in the various divisions being paid to do it for a living compared to us lesser mortals. I suppose we then go a little bit further and judge the individual player in comparison to other professionals deemed to be on a similar level it's picky and subjective. Just in my opinion, on that particular level of excellence, Perez falls well short.

True, I was being a pedant, if we are discussing professional footballer, it is obviously the case, so I did not to restate it. I have been an ardent supporter of Ayoze, not because of who or what he is, but because he plays for Leicester City, so gets support by default. However, after watching Maddison have a poor game, ambling about recently, it is with some regret, I feel James still offers more than Ayoze.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dmayne7 said:

Not sure I'd put him on Shinji's level in terms of importance to the team but felt it worked well with Maddison not fully fit but able to give us that level extra quality off the bench.

I'd agree that he isn't as important as Shinji was, he's the back up AMC for sure.

12 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Not sure what Fred has to do with Ayoze, but you could have named almost any Man Utd player tbh

Nothing. It was more a light hearted comment to do with Fred not being excellent despite being a professional footballer. Yeh you’re right they were pretty much all awful yesterday, but Fred was another level imo. Anyway, just a light hearted remark dude. 

Just now, PNM said:

Nothing. It was more a light hearted comment to do with Fred not being excellent despite being a professional footballer. Yeh you’re right they were pretty much all awful yesterday, but Fred was another level imo. Anyway, just a light hearted remark dude. 

No worries, was not having a dig, thought I had missed something!  :thumbup:

22 hours ago, 21st Century Fox said:

Gets stick but deserves credit. That block though..... like a Secret Service agent launching himself in front of a bullet. Defending from the front, that's why he plays.

Because of this I am prepared to give him a bit of slack. But not too much! 

It’s the work he puts in off the ball and his chasing down and pressing that is his strongest asset. If he hadn’t flung himself in the way of the attempted clearance, Tielemans doesn’t get the chance to score the greatest ever FA cup winner.

not out most technically gifted player but he works hard for the team

I have to say, the more I see of him he's like an interceptor and a pain in the arse for defenders. I can't see him scoring many goals but I CAN see him creating space and chances. Over the last couple of months he's really worked in that 10 role just poking away at opposition's backline. Sometimes you need someone who does that. 

He's certainly not first XI but you know, he's partially won us an FA cup and got us into Europe. We've had far, far worse players. 

• Like 1

He's got plenty of stick. Bren's persisted with him beyond belief sometimes.

He's never lived up 12 goals a season, or been in position to do that.

For me though, that interception got the FA Cup back in Leicester. Shinjiesq.

• Like 1