Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
turkish14

Wilfred

To be fair to Wilf whilst his mistake led to their goal he should never have been put in that situation in the first place. 

If the centre halves split (as they did) they should never ever be playing the ball into the centre of the park regardless of availability as if you lose possession (as we did) there is no room for recovery. 

I was speaking to a friend of mine during the game about the rule change regarding receiving the ball inside the box at a goal kick and have no idea why anyone in this league other than Man City are utilising the rule, especially us. Just because you can now receive the ball inside the box doesn't mean you should. I'd much rather we take our time and allow ourselves to get back into shape before the ball is played. I didn't think we looked comfortable with it last week and I'm convinced more than ever after yesterday that we're better off not trying to rush things. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, ian_marshall said:

To be fair to Wilf whilst his mistake led to their goal he should never have been put in that situation in the first place. 

If the centre halves split (as they did) they should never ever be playing the ball into the centre of the park regardless of availability as if you lose possession (as we did) there is no room for recovery. 

I was speaking to a friend of mine during the game about the rule change regarding receiving the ball inside the box at a goal kick and have no idea why anyone in this league other than Man City are utilising the rule, especially us. Just because you can now receive the ball inside the box doesn't mean you should. I'd much rather we take our time and allow ourselves to get back into shape before the ball is played. I didn't think we looked comfortable with it last week and I'm convinced more than ever after yesterday that we're better off not trying to rush things. 

Centre halves splitting creates space for a midfielder to collect the ball. It’s one of the reasons they do it. Unfortunately for us, the wrong man collected the ball. 

• Like 1

Mistakes like yesterday will happen more often with Ndidi unfortunately and they will lead to goals. Of the 10 outfield players Ndidi was the most technically inept. 

I like him. Honest player who gives his all. Never injured and never shies away from a battle. However, I predict Brendan will buy another DM in the next 2 windows to eventually replace Ndidi. The way Ridgers play you will be need a competent ball playing DM (like Steven Nzonzi), and Ndidi is just not that guy, and sadly will never be. Nearly 3 years and close to 100 PL games, and the guy still struggles to control and move the ball on in tight spaces under pressure.

27 minutes ago, ian_marshall said:

The alternative is for Kasper to ping it out of play on the halfway line and I think I read on here somewhere how that annoys most of us fans :D

Its the modern game now and the more we do it the more we will get comfortable with it and make it work for us, yesterday it was a mistake, Wilf didn't control that first ball and then wasn't quick enough to correct, he wanted to pass to Cags which if it had worked would have pulled Mount and the other 2 attackers out of the 'set' position allowing a gap between them and our midfield for us to play in.

It was a single mistake I wouldn't get to hung up about it unless of course it happens time and time again when in that case we should give up and Kasper Huuuuuth lol

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

Centre halves splitting creates space for a midfielder to collect the ball. It’s one of the reasons they do it. Unfortunately for us, the wrong man collected the ball. 

I take your point but it's too risky to play the ball into the midfielder in this instance. The midfielder should drop to draw the opponent into the space and stretch/distort the opponents shape. That then creates space further up the field for the ball to be played into or alllows. The only time in my view when Wilf should be receiving the ball in this instance is when he's facing the opponent and can see the field of play so that he can release as necessary. The whole move was rushed in my opinion. Had we been better set maybe the risk could have been mitigated but to play the ball as we did without cover was very dangerous in my view as it gave Mount a clear run on goal. 

Edited by ian_marshall
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, brucey said:

Rather than faffing about with fancy corner routines now that Maddison no longer has a slab to aim at, surely we should just aim them at Wilf instead? Fairly tall and with a massive leap on him, he’ll probably score just as many.

people are bashing Maddison with his corners yet we are 2nd game in and we have scored from one, if the players attack the balls being put in then we have a good chance of converting Evans, Nididi & Soy should be the main targets

3 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

The alternative is for Kasper to ping it out of play on the halfway line and I think I read on here somewhere how that annoys most of us fans :D

Its the modern game now and the more we do it the more we will get comfortable with it and make it work for us, yesterday it was a mistake, Wilf didn't control that first ball and then wasn't quick enough to correct, he wanted to pass to Cags which if it had worked would have pulled Mount and the other 2 attackers out of the 'set' position allowing a gap between them and our midfield for us to play in.

It was a single mistake I wouldn't get to hung up about it unless of course it happens time and time again when in that case we should give up and Kasper Huuuuuth lol

Look there is no one on this forum who advocates playing the ball out from the back more than myself. It's absolutely critical in my view if you want to be considered a top team. My issue here is that there is a time and a place for executing such play, and I don't understand why we're suddenly trying to rush things unnecessarily; after all patience is a virtue. I'd also consider a ball into the centre of the park to a player with his back to the field of play with no cover, somewhat of a school boy error. I think the world of Evans and rightly believe that he's currently the best CB in our squad but that ball just seemed completely unnecessary. Admittedly N'didi made a pig's ear of the situation but I think that collectively as a defensive unit they all have to take responsibility so that we can avoid it happening again. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ian_marshall said:

Look there is no one on this forum who advocates playing the ball out from the back more than myself. It's absolutely critical in my view if you want to be considered a top team. My issue here is that there is a time and a place for executing such play, and I don't understand why we're suddenly trying to rush things unnecessarily; after all patience is a virtue. I'd also consider a ball into the centre of the park to a player with his back to the field of play with no cover, somewhat of a school boy error. I think the world of Evans and rightly believe that he's currently the best CB in our squad but that ball just seemed completely unnecessary. Admittedly N'didi made a pig's ear of the situation but I think that collectively as a defensive unit they all have to take responsibility so that we can avoid it happening again. 

I agree playing the ball from the back is the next step up and we need to continue to improve. I think though, in situations such as the first half against Chelsea where they were pressing really high and we could not get out or were always in danger of losing the ball in our own half, one of our best ball players would need to drop back to control proceedings more rather than relying on the likes of Evans, Soy, Schmeichel and Ndidi to get us out. Seeing how effective Maddison was (in the last 20 mins) getting the ball and getting out in tight spaces, he could perhaps play such a role. 

10 minutes ago, ian_marshall said:

Totally agree with time and place for everything but yesterday we just weren't quick enough that's all, Mount hit Wilf like a runaway train due to Wilf's 1st touch but on another day 1 touch football has that pass to Cag's seeing Mount over shoot Wilf with Cag's playing Wilf back into the space now left behind by Mount and we are on the front foot playing in the middle of the park, a play straight off the training ground.

The alternative (My Kasper reference tongue in cheek) is to play side to side before a hopeful punt up field due to a lack of space.

I agree I can see him being replaced if we continue wanting the play football from the back, if he's the man collecting the ball from the defenders then he's going to struggle big time. He just isn't technically good enough or sharp enough to receive the ball under pressure and do anything positive with it.

I think that responsibility needs to be taken from him as it's just highlighting a massive weakness that other teams will pounce on. Kanté aside, there is nobody in the league that retrieves the ball and breaks up play like he does. If he's just left to do that then he always looks a hell of a player. Maybe now we have Praet involved, he may be able to take up that position when we're in possession and get the ball moving up the pitch.

2 hours ago, ian_marshall said:

I take your point but it's too risky to play the ball into the midfielder in this instance. The midfielder should drop to draw the opponent into the space and stretch/distort the opponents shape. That then creates space further up the field for the ball to be played into or alllows. The only time in my view when Wilf should be receiving the ball in this instance is when he's facing the opponent and can see the field of play so that he can release as necessary. The whole move was rushed in my opinion. Had we been better set maybe the risk could have been mitigated but to play the ball as we did without cover was very dangerous in my view as it gave Mount a clear run on goal. 

I think he had plenty of time when he received the ball. If he’d been more aware or had a shout, the ball back to Kasper was on, as was one to one of the CB (would have to rewatch the clip). 99/100 that doesn’t end up in a goal conceded. Wilf should never have been caught there.

That’s the way we’re going to play now, quick ball out to the CBs or to the CM dropping in. Quick passing and movement, creating space playing out from the back. 

He has always had a heavy first touch and slow decision making skills but he is so good in other areas. He's young. His decision making will improve with experience and if he can improve that first touch then PSG will be calling.

I think Ndidi is the biggest conundrum in our team at the minute. He's a good, young player but his skillset is at odds with the direction we are likely to take as a team. While I respected the fact he seemed more annoyed than happy after the game (which shows to me a good attitude), I do wonder if it's the fact it's a playing out from the back mistake more than anything that's got to him so much - I can see it being something Rodgers is likely to be annoyed at given the way he'll want us to play, as in, he's dropped a huge clanger on an area that we've specifically tried to improve.

It's a shame he lacks the technical ability because he's got everything else, but it's a quite significant problem and it's tough to develop, although if he does, he'll be a top player.

13 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Interviewed Ndidi for talkSPORT today at DMU where he's doing a business degree.

Will upload it tomorrow if anyone fancies a listen.

IMG_3833.thumb.JPG.409301d4d620e814892262e3d40a24aa.JPG

Really good to see a young footballer trying to better himself off the field as well, looking to the future. 

In your experience is this an exception or does this happen more often with players than gets reported, as you only ever seem to see stories about players excesses / vices rather than self improvement stories like this in the media? 

• Like 1