Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

England v Bulgaria - Wembley Sat @ 5pm (ITV)

I've been very supportive of Southgate and I do think hes our most refreshing manager since back in the 90s when we had less of a 'yes man" sort of character.

Yet, like others have said, hes showing some of them traits that are quite typical of what the FA like to employ. 

The picking players based on the fact they play for bigger clubs is just bizarre and always gone on. When they were actually the best teams in Europe and the country then it was at least dependable to a degree. But players from Man United when they've finished 5th and 6th is just ridiculous. 

This idea about caps being so precious that hes reluctant to hand new ones out yet gives them to players who are so out of form its unreal is just hypocritical. 

• Like 1

What is so galling is that this selection policy will only encourage players like Maddison to look for a move to a "top 6" club in order to secure selection for England, thereby helping to maintain the "top 6" culture in the Prem.

How good it would be to see us, and possibly one or two other teams, displace the usual top 6 clubs this season and break the monopoly (monotony?).

• Like 4

On 07/09/2019 at 19:27, Izzy said:

Bloody hell. Chris Sutton isn't such a cvnt after all.

England 4-0 Bulgaria

b49ccce5-5474-45b3-af9e-fddb2865fb56.jpg

Chris Sutton

Premier League winner with Blackburn on BBC Radio 5 live

I am surprised James Maddison did not start today. I think he's the best English midfield player.

Nah, he really is.

:plancque:

Was at the match on Saturday - we were practically pitch-side and the lad was really excited to have a great view of Maddison's England debut. :(

There to support England, so we cheered all the players (even Spuds) as they ran through the starting eleven before kick-off, but I swear that the response when Barkley's name was announced was more of a mass "huh?" than a cheer.  What a wasted opportunity.

We did the Wembley Stadium tour on Sunday morning (not as good as the King Power tour obv), and the lad sat on each of the home substitute seats so that he had sat in the same place where Chilwell/Maddison had been a few hours before.  Confused the people in front of him having their pictures taken sat in the Manager's seat.  Asked if he wanted me to take a picture of him coming out of the players tunnel, he said I could take one in 15 years when he comes through it as Leicester captain.

For all the football experts about, it’s poor that they only see Maddison as a number 10.

Southgate saying that he doesn’t fit in England’s system, when he’s been playing on the left wing and as a number 8 for the most part of this year. That’s the most frustrating bit for me. 

Saying that, would rather him smash it at the weekend than have 10 minutes and get injured on Tuesday. 

• Like 1

World Cup last year aside Southgate has always been an uninspired choice and genuinely isn't the man to take England forward. We'll revert to form in the Euros and get knocked out by the first half decent side we play in the quarter finals. We won't win anything with the midfield choices he keeps making no matter how good our attack is.

Also having Aidy Boothroyd in charge of the u21s it doesn't look like the FA are planning for the future rather they are just giving jobs to the boys as per usual. Joke of an organization and the sooner its reformed the better.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, LCFC BEAST said:

For all the football experts about, it’s poor that they only see Maddison as a number 10.

Southgate saying that he doesn’t fit in England’s system, when he’s been playing on the left wing and as a number 8 for the most part of this year. That’s the most frustrating bit for me. 

Saying that, would rather him smash it at the weekend than have 10 minutes and get injured on Tuesday. 

Fully agree with you, but I suspect James Maddison would think very differently and is probably talking with his agent right now with a view to a new "big" club.

• Sad 1

Getting minutes for England would make no difference in terms of Maddison wanting to stay or leave for a bigger club. Players leave for more money and to compete at the top end of the table consistently.

Chilwell has been England's starting left back for the last year and he'd likely still jump at the chance to join City/Chelsea if they came in for him. Maguire was England's number 1 centre half and he joined United anyway. Think people are overstating the importance of it all

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Goober said:

Getting minutes for England would make no difference in terms of Maddison wanting to stay or leave for a bigger club. Players leave for more money and to compete at the top end of the table consistently.

Chilwell has been England's starting left back for the last year and he'd likely still jump at the chance to join City/Chelsea if they came in for him. Maguire was England's number 1 centre half and he joined United anyway. Think people are overstating the importance of it all

More money,more chance of winning honours,more European club football.International caps come forth these days at best.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, deep blue said:

What is so galling is that this selection policy will only encourage players like Maddison to look for a move to a "top 6" club in order to secure selection for England, thereby helping to maintain the "top 6" culture in the Prem.

How good it would be to see us, and possibly one or two other teams, displace the usual top 6 clubs this season and break the monopoly (monotony?).

Very good points. So infuriating that Mount can get the nod ahead of him and it's literally because hes at Chelsea.

I wish pundits would call out this method of selecting players so we could at least get Southgates response. 

I think Maddison is already gone in the summer before this anyway. Ahh well

Mount and madders are not interchangeable....

they have different talents and if the manager feels that he prefers mount in his tactical set up than there isn’t much to add. Madders simply becomes a possible plan B ..... ask Le tissier and others ...... been happening for years. Doesn’t make it right or wrong (though given we haven’t won anything it probably is wrong)

• Like 1

On 09/09/2019 at 09:29, deep blue said:

Its almost like the FA instruct the England manager to maintain the status quo. I can accept that Liverpool/Man C players should be in the England team, Sterling has improved immeasurably. However, some of the dross from United, Spurs and Chelsea in unfathomable. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, goose2010 said:

why?? how odd...

One of the reasons it's actually frustrating to have your own players in the national team squad. Some (and this applies to all teams fans) completely lose their heads and perspective.

I suspect he wants us to get "smashed" because Maddison isn't being started, which is, well, dumb. Suddenly the performance, the result and the whole setup is crap and railing against it because your precious player isn't in the first eleven.

It's all a bit pathetic, really. I'm totally zoned out of England until Euro 2020 comes round, mainly because routine 4-0 wins against lesser sides are a bit drab for me, so I've really struggled to give a shit about whether Maddison is starting or not. As you'll see, though, some are actively campaigning against their own team. Weird and random.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

One of the reasons it's actually frustrating to have your own players in the national team squad. Some (and this applies to all teams fans) completely lose their heads and perspective.

I suspect he wants us to get "smashed" because Maddison isn't being started, which is, well, dumb. Suddenly the performance, the result and the whole setup is crap and railing against it because your precious player isn't in the first eleven.

It's all a bit pathetic, really. I'm totally zoned out of England until Euro 2020 comes round, mainly because routine 4-0 wins against lesser sides are a bit drab for me, so I've really struggled to give a shit about whether Maddison is starting or not. As you'll see, though, some are actively campaigning against their own team. Weird and random.

Can you imagine if LCFC beat someone 4-0 but because your favourite player wasn't playing you hope we got smashed?

The euro qualifiers are a bit daft and pointless and it doesn't help the nation with their support of England if you ask me, we are beating teams without breaking into a sweat really at least they are now taking England back out to other grounds.

• Like 1