Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TiffToff88

In Hindsight

- Danny Simpson was a pointless, crap signing and a year after we'd signed him I still didn't rate him. Now while he's very limited he played his part in that side for sure.

- Thought Gray would go on to be a real star. I'll be ridiculed by some for putting this on here but I can't see that now.

- Didn't call out nearly any of the 2016 summer signings at the time quite simply because my faith in us was so sky high. For example I thought Luis Hernandez would be shrewd.

- Thought Adrien Silva would be a brilliant signing.

- Would've got rid of Vardy in summer 2013.

- Would've considered West Brom's offer for Vardy in January 2015. Vardy is admittedly a bit of a freak and has defied all odds.

- Thought we'd piss the Championship in 2011/12.

There's plenty more but believe me I've had some learning curves lol 

Edited by Dan LCFC

50 minutes ago, Stadt said:

That's a fair point, I still adamantly believe we would have gone down in 16/17 if we hadn't have sacked him - we were horrendous.

We'd have finished bottom. We were in complete freefall. It was horrible to watch so soon after what we'd just seen.

It a toss up between...

1 - Watching weekend football with my Man U supporting friends 10 years ago and believing them when they would ridicule Leicester and say they could never compete with them

2 - Thinking that being relegated to League One was a disaster and that the following season would be awful

• Like 1

I saw Maddison play at Stamford Bridge in the FA Cup the season before we signed him in the summer. He was unplayable that day and I genuinely couldn’t believe we’d managed to get him when it was announced. 

Danny Simpson for me, I was fuming, confused, disillusioned with the club at that point. Rest is history. One of my favourite all time City players now and I saw that unashamedly. 

Jonny Evans, to a certain extent too. Thought he was past it, thought he’d just be decent emergency cover. He’s turned in to one of the best centre backs we’ve ever had. 

We all thought Ihenacho was going to fire us to Europe. Show me somebody who thought otherwise and I’ll show you a liar.

Good thread this. 

Edited by Manini

2 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

In hindsight...  Losing that PO semi at Watford didn't turn out to be the painful thing it felt at the time.

(Funnily enough, watching it back now, I actually quite enjoy the whole theatre and drama of it, missing a pen we shouldn't have got, Deeney scoring, the celebrations etc. That said, had we suffered subsequent years of misery I might not feel quite so charitable about it now)

In hindsight... After those first eight games under Puel, playing some decent football and winning, I thought we were onto something special. I even thought his English would improve over time and everything would be rosy on and off the pitch.

Two months later I started to publicly question his methods and that was where my BITTER AGENDA took root lol

I know how petty this is but I can't help it. Despite what it caused and all that came after I still cant re-watch that game vs watford. 

I do however get great joy from watching the whole drama at their place the next season. 

4 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

As Leicester fans we've all had moments where we thought one thing, and some way down the line we've been proven very wrong. One such example is the uproar when we spent a whole £1M on a certain non league footballer. How wrong those people (myself included) were!

I'm no doubt opening myself up to ridicule here, but the latest one to happen to me was this: 

June 20th, 2018 - Leicester City sign James Maddison from Norwich City for around £20M. 

Don't get me wrong, I was excited to see what he could do for us, but a big part of me was gutted that we didn't go for Jack Grealish instead! So in hindsight we have clearly made the right decision and I was wrong, very wrong to doubt the signing.

Are there any times you guys are willing to admit you were wrong about involving the club?

Think you might have been in the minority because I remember many being optimistic about Vardy when he signed. 

3 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

I thought that Kermorgant was going to be better than decent for us.

I thought he'd have a major impact.......well, yes, I know that he did in a way.....

To be fair Kermogant was actually a decent player.

3 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Oh forgot the biggest one of all was gutted when Nigel 'God' Pearson joined us after only just keeping Southampton up season we went down and being let go by them. How wrong that turned out to be for one of our GOAT managers!

Was thrilled when Big Nige signed. Only just keeping Southampton up? He worked miracles at the end of that season with them and was so happy when he signed for us. 

I remember thinking Josh Low was going to be out new saviour. 

Also Zolt and Bori after their debut against Cov. I don't think I've seen a debut like Zolt's in particular, remember thinking we'd unearthed an absolute gem. 

Edited by Collymore

I remember really enjoying the 2003/04 season even though we got relegated. Finally being able to sign players again was so exciting and bringing in big names like Ferdinand, Bent and Ben Thatcher seemed amazing. Yes we went down, but it felt like we were still a pretty good side. 

In hindsight no idea how I enjoyed that season, although it definitely got worse than that before it got better. 

10 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Think you might have been in the minority because I remember many being optimistic about Vardy when he signed.

Yes. Always hard to predict when a player makes a big step up, as Vardy did from Fleetwood (then non-league). He'd scored for fun there, so I was cautiously optimistic.

It was after his first season in the Championship at LCFC that I was unsure (and no more than unsure - I didn't want him gone). In a way, that season he seemed the opposite of what I was expecting.

I'd expected a raw, fast striker with a clinical finish but lacking in wider football skills. On the contrary, he looked a better footballer than expected but, frustratingly, seemed a split-second too slow in his decisions in front of goal.

Fortunately, he soon made the step up.....and several more..... :D

10 minutes ago, Collymore said:

To be fair Kermogant was actually a decent player.

I agree - and he showed that when he moved to Charlton, and looked decent to me when he was on the pitch at Leicester.

I just thought that he'd become a regular starter and important player for us, which never really happened. An interesting and unusual player, with his aerial prowess, yet the ability to sit deep and pass the ball well (at Championship level).

He reminded me slightly of Chris Sutton as a player......now I'm going to upset people! :D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Yes. Always hard to predict when a player makes a big step up, as Vardy did from Fleetwood (then non-league). He'd scored for fun there, so I was cautiously optimistic.

It was after his first season in the Championship at LCFC that I was unsure (and no more than unsure - I didn't want him gone). In a way, that season he seemed the opposite of what I was expecting.

I'd expected a raw, fast striker with a clinical finish but lacking in wider football skills. On the contrary, he looked a better footballer than expected but, frustratingly, seemed a split-second too slow in his decisions in front of goal.

Fortunately, he soon made the step up.....and several more..... :D

I agree - and he showed that when he moved to Charlton, and looked decent to me when he was on the pitch at Leicester.

I just thought that he'd become a regular starter and important player for us, which never really happened. An interesting and unusual player, with his aerial prowess, yet the ability to sit deep and pass the ball well (at Championship level).

He reminded me slightly of Chris Sutton as a player......now I'm going to upset people! :D

Your summary of Vardy when he first signed was spot on. I remember thinking to myself if he could actually just steady himself and stop stressing so much in front of goal he'd be an amazing player.

"Amazing" still doesn't do him justice though!

• Like 1

I thought Hossain Kaebi would turn out to be world class...  

I also thought Matt Mills would turn out to be the defensive leader we needed in the Championship, and that Trevor Benjamin would like up to his Championship Manager potential.

However, in the summer of 2015 I thought we'd do quite well in the league due to our Great Escape in the previous season, although I wouldn't dare to have predicted what actually happened that year...