Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dirkster the Fox

Dennis Praet

23 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Can the Belgian guys here settle an argument we’ve been having over on the Dennis Praet thread? Being pedantic and having nothing better to to do, we’ve been discussing how to pronounce his name.

Commentators universally pronounce it as Pratt. I seem to remember being told it should be pronounced Prart, but there is now a 3rd option suggested as Pre-at (I take that to be 2 syllables “Pree‘ and “at”). Any advice? Cheers.

6 minutes ago, shen said:

It's pronounced 'Praht' as a singular syllable - similar/identical to the 'aa' sound you often see in Dutch names.

It is definitely neither Pratt or Pre-at (that one is new to me!)

I have abandoned the search for a unified field theory, and made this important mystery the centre of my life’s work. Appear to have found the answer thanks to @shen.

30 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I have abandoned the search for a unified field theory, and made this important mystery the centre of my life’s work. Appear to have found the answer thanks to @shen.

Maybe the reason it creates confusion is that some dialects of Flemish/Dutch will make a guttural 'R' sound and some do the trill 'R' sound :dunno:

Edited by shen

42 minutes ago, shen said:

Maybe the reason it creates confusion is that some dialects of Flemish/Dutch will make a guttural 'R' sound and some do the trill 'R' sound :dunno:

...If I recall,  there was a clip on the pronunciation of his name, when we bought him, and he was asked to pronounce it, and it sounded like "Preet"!!!

Edited by sacreblueits442

25 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...If I recall,  there was a clip on the pronunciation of his name, when we bought him, and he was asked to pronounce it, and it sounded like "Preet"!!!

There's a reason that phonetic alphabets exist. What you'd interpret as 'Preet', someone else will interpret as Prat/Pratt/Prart etc. His wiki has the phonetics spelled, so if in doubt go check that out.

13 hours ago, IsItMuzzy said:

I asked a Belgian person how it should be pronounced when he first signed for us and she said it was 'Prat' so I'm sticking with that

Flemish Belgian or French Belgian?  That makes all the difference.

Videos put out by his national team have his name pronounced like “Pret” (with a slight trill). He’s also in plenty of other Belgian videos that have his name pronounced very closely to the way it’s being said in the UK, “Prat”, and that’s how the club is pronouncing his name, so I’d think he’s fine with that. 

6 hours ago, jayfox26 said:

Maybe we should just call him Dennis. He's definitely the best Dennis we've had since Dennis... oh wait, he's the only Dennis we've had. I prefer to forget the other one ever played for us. (Apologies if there were any other Dennis' before I was born in 1986). 

Dennis Rofe was a really good player for us but I didn't particularly rate Dennis Akinbyi or Dennis Lowe. We don't mention the ex Chelsea Dennis either.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, shen said:

There's a reason that phonetic alphabets exist. What you'd interpret as 'Preet', someone else will interpret as Prat/Pratt/Prart etc. His wiki has the phonetics spelled, so if in doubt go check that out.

...I did check it out prior to posting and I went by his previous answer which sounded nothing like your suggestion!!!

Wiki is very much open to alteration and amendments by various people. 

21 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I did check it out prior to posting and I went by his previous answer which sounded nothing like your suggestion!!!

Wiki is very much open to alteration and amendments by various people. 

Uhh, so you went with a vague memory of a video you're not sure exists where you think the pronunciation was vastly different to how a native would normally pronounce his name? :dunno:

I can't believe the amount of posts about his name, funny 😂😂😂 

Players read here apparently so Dennis if you are one of them please tell us! 🤣

Youri pronounced it Prart in a video game thing the Belgians were doing 🤪

I have a good feeling about Praet in the run in, think he will be invaluable to have back.  

Edited by Hales
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hales said:

I have a good feeling about Preat in the run in, think he will be invaluable to have back.  

WHO?

2 hours ago, Hales said:

I have a good feeling about Preat in the run in, think he will be invaluable to have back.  

46 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

WHO?

Somehere in a cave deep in the High Peaks ...... 

C72B9B1B-5B3D-48D0-89EC-45B480887B8B.jpeg.52171c3aecda8f3c665a41f47a77c221.jpeg

• Haha 4