Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dirkster the Fox

Dennis Praet

19 minutes ago, lnkstern said:

I was surprised that surgery was not mentioned in any of the reports I read.

Typically, three months of projected recovery time implies a surgical remedy to the problem.

One report claimed a torn hamstring.  Another reported Brendan as stating that it is a tendon issue.

Either way, best wishes for a speedy recovery to Dennis!

I think it's more surgical if it comes away from the bone. This is a torn tendon. It can take a couple of weeks at least for swelling and bruising externally to go down. Light physio work can then begin but it will be a while before he can run. Probably on crutches at the moment. The 3 months will factor in physio and training to get fitness back so not too long when you factor all of that in. He may be ready sooner but as they have shown with others they won't rush him as it can only make thing worse in the long run. Lots of rest, ice, compression and elevating it for him!

I work in healthcare so injuries interest me 😂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Hales said:

I think it's more surgical if it comes away from the bone. This is a torn tendon. It can take a couple of weeks at least for swelling and bruising externally to go down. Light physio work can then begin but it will be a while before he can run. Probably on crutches at the moment. The 3 months will factor in physio and training to get fitness back so not too long when you factor all of that in. He may be ready sooner but as they have shown with others they won't rush him as it can only make thing worse in the long run. Lots of rest, ice, compression and elevating it for him!

...a bit of RICE never harms anyone......!!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Collymore said:

Apart from the Crystal Palace match where he played 60 odd minutes, you have to go all the way back to November against Wolves (which feels a lifetime a go) since Praet played a full match in the Premier League. 

He's played plenty of minutes in the Europa though...

I have a feeling injured or not he wouldn't have been playing tomorrow so at least in the short-term his injury shouldn't affect us. 

While he may not have started tomorrow, I think it's likely he would have played.

Having Under (though a different type of player) back from injury however helps.

• Like 1

Bit of a curve ball but, if Pereira comes back very quickly to full effectiveness, would it be possible for Justin to be pushed up to fill Praet's role?  Yet another unfamiliar position, it's true, but his energy and combatitiveness lend themselves to our needs in this position, and he has been phenomenal in his adaptability and ability to learn quickly.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, deep blue said:

Bit of a curve ball but, if Pereira comes back very quickly to full effectiveness, would it be possible for Justin to be pushed up to fill Praet's role?  Yet another unfamiliar position, it's true, but his energy and combatitiveness lend themselves to our needs in this position, and he has been phenomenal in his adaptability and ability to learn quickly.

...certainly has come on this season, down to game time and his ability to take on and implement instructions!!!

The Praet role requires acquired knowledge and the ability to read the game and is mired in the intelligence of movement. We cannot put him in a situation that requires such nuances of game play, round pegs in round holes and only that will do.

28 minutes ago, deep blue said:

or vice versa?

19 hours ago, Hales said:

Quarantine in the Cryo chamber?

18 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...certainly has come on this season, down to game time and his ability to take on and implement instructions!!!

The Praet role requires acquired knowledge and the ability to read the game and is mired in the intelligence of movement. We cannot put him in a situation that requires such nuances of game play, round pegs in round holes and only that will do.

That's a fair view and a good point. I guess my suggestion relies on the fact that since Justin is so adaptable it's not such a case of "square pegs in round holes" as it would be with most players.  Justin seems to be able to quickly manoeuvre the hole into the shape that suits him.

I certainly like the grit, competitiveness and drive that he could inject. Our midfield seems to lack those in some games.

Edited by deep blue
Add

He’s in everyone’s match day squad - 100%

Hes in about 20% of people’s starting line up (he’s not displacing Tielemans or Maddison for most)

He’s sorely missed as he can start v a deep lying side and push away with Maddison and he’s a fantastic option off the bench or if someone ahead of him has got a knock…

His being out is not a killer blow, but a significant scar I’d suggest 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SO1 said:

Quarantine in the Cryo chamber?

To be fair if you are going to get injured that training ground is a pretty immense place to recover - cryo chamber, pool, plunge pools, sauna, physios, food cooked for you. I'd move in! 🤩😄

Edited by Hales

On 17/01/2021 at 01:20, UHDrive said:

Stupid question but If you tear a hamstring and it heals then can the scar tissue affect your footballing after? 

Hes going to be a massive loss. I've always rated him and we'll miss him.

The key thing is not rushing back too soon, which often happens with hamstring injuries.  If he lets it heal fully it shouldn't be a long-term issue.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Imagine being Dennis, having sustained a nasty injury just as the team goes into (so it seems) overdrive. That's got to be tough. Hope that he is well managed through his recuperation.

I know, bless him! There is a place for him when he is back though as Youri is going to be shattered. I'm sure he is still involved at the training ground and watching the home matches at the ground. Must be hard being the only one injured too in recovery on your own. 

Probably get slapped down for this suggestion, but if Tielemans were to be injured, with Soyuncu now available, would it be worth experimenting with Fofana as a replacement? Seems to like going forward, is comfortable on the ball, good range of passing, and still young enough to learn new roles. Either that or as someone suggested, JJ.

38 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Probably get slapped down for this suggestion, but if Tielemans were to be injured, with Soyuncu now available, would it be worth experimenting with Fofana as a replacement? Seems to like going forward, is comfortable on the ball, good range of passing, and still young enough to learn new roles. Either that or as someone suggested, JJ.

Nah, great defender but he is no where near the quality of tielemans as a play maker.

Dennis Praet is the perfect backup midfielder. He's great in the attack and I love the role he plays when he drifts between an attacking role and out wide. If he's happy sitting on the bench and coming on when called upon then I'm not complaining!! You can also see the link up play with Tielemans and late in the game, he can bring a different type of attacking spark. Love him, we're building a good bunch of Belgians! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mash21 said:

Dennis Praet is the perfect backup midfielder. He's great in the attack and I love the role he plays when he drifts between an attacking role and out wide. If he's happy sitting on the bench and coming on when called upon then I'm not complaining!! You can also see the link up play with Tielemans and late in the game, he can bring a different type of attacking spark. Love him, we're building a good bunch of Belgians! 

Just like the Pralenes, hard to Chose the best one...

38 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

...just goes to show how poor we are in the U23s as there is only 1 or 2 in the squad who has something about them!!!

We are either drumming any flair out of them or selecting certain types of players to come through our system, leaving us with a pool of run of the mill players plying their trade.

Perhaps we need to get young players who have not yet been co-opted into the academy structure and encourage flair and work on discipline and team ethics which would be easier to teach than the instinctive love and technique which are already there . There are little noise coming from the academy, enthusing on a player who they are excited about, Pennant, Ben Nelson and Will Alves are mentioned in dispatches but they are 15/16 years old.

We need more flair and progressive players, there is little if no options available to us right now.

1 minute ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...just goes to show how poor we are in the U23s as there is only 1 or 2 in the squad who has something about them!!!

We are either drumming any flair out of them or selecting certain types of players to come through our system, leaving us with a pool of run of the mill players plying their trade.

Perhaps we need to get young players who have not yet been co-opted into the academy structure and encourage flair and work on discipline and team ethics which would be easier to teach than the instinctive love and technique which are already there . There are little noise coming from the academy, enthusing on a player who they are excited about, Pennant, Ben Nelson and Will Alves are mentioned in dispatches but they are 15/16 years old.

We need more flair and progressive players, there is little if no options available to us right now.

Funnily enough you would have support from a unlikely source disliked by many on here but he does talk sense at times and I quite like him as a charater. In a recent interview, Neil Warnock (aka Colin willy puller) was saying that the problem with modern day academies was that they were persistently churning out players that could pass a ball very well but not actually play football. He was an advocate of letting players go to lower league clubs on loan a lot earlier than they are. His reasoning was that firstly they would be thrown in with men of all ages whose work and way of earning a living was to play football and try to win in a meaningful competition. They also had to learn to mix with men older than themselves as people and not just lads of their own age group, essentially they needed to learn how to grow up from a sheltered environment. To be honest, although all young players are individuals and need to be dealt with according to their individual perceived capabilites, I think there's a certain merit in what he was saying. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...