Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Ben Chilwell

1 hour ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

We could also find ourselves not being able to sign foreign talent if we brexit. It could be work permits galore even for EU players with many not qualifying.

Not a chance, they'll dish them out like confetti. 

6 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

What do you mean , a club like Leicester , we are not Burnley or Bournemouth , Leicester is one of England's biggest cities and among them only Leeds and Newcastle are also one club towns!

A club like Leicester = a mid table club that’s only been back in the PL for 5 years, that other than one freak season, hasn’t won anything or finished in the top 6. 

That’s not to say that we aren’t ambitious or that we don’t have reason to be optimistic, this season or in the near future. Obviously we do - but it’s attaining, developing and keeping (for as long as can) players of Chilwell’s ilk that shows our ambition and gives us that optimism - not ‘cashing in’ at the first sign of a dud performance or a ‘bigger’ club sniffing around. 

The owners have a fantastic track record of being stubborn negotiators and I’m sure if a first teamer actively wants to leave, the player will go on our terms and we will get a good fee. 

But let’s leave the agents and other clubs to try and prise them away, not agitate for a move from among our own fan base! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

The same reason we sold Harry Maguire for a world record fee. Sometimes it's the right time to move a player on. Chilwell's current ability as an attacking full back compared with other players at the top of the game would show quite a disparity but given the huge amounts of money domestic teams will pay for homegrown players we could find ourselves in a situation where Man Utd, Man City or Chelsea want him for £60-70m. That money would be ridiculous for a full back that doesn't score goals, has only a modest record of providing assists and really struggles to operate in the final 3rd with most of our wingers and most certainly can't do it on his own when we play a narrow 4-3-3 like for example Ricardo does on the other side. The money we would get would be redeployed in progressing this side like Dortmund often do.

I think he will be the one player out of all our young stars that we would be most open to doing a deal on for a huge fee. Of course there will be others that might go for more money or will be more courted by the elite sides but we have proven we won't become embroiled in a fire sale.

We moved harry on because we had a ready made replacement. Same can not be said for chillwell.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MPH said:

We moved harry on because we had a ready made replacement. Same can not be said for chillwell.

Not convinced the evidence supports this assertion. Leicester, by most accounts, were looking to bring in a replacement but didnt want to pay the prices we had just inflated. The fact that Cags has done so well seems to have come as a pleasant and very welcome suprise 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

We could also find ourselves not being able to sign foreign talent if we brexit. It could be work permits galore even for EU players with many not qualifying.

I think it's best we hang on to our English contingent for now.

Yeah the government is going to refuse work permits to people who are going to pay millions in tax lol

If anything it could open our league upto young talent from places like South America and could be even better for clubs like us.

Edited by MattP

20 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

I think it's best we hang on to our English contingent for now.

Is Grebland in the EU ? ....

.....just asking!

22 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

The same reason we sold Harry Maguire for a world record fee. Sometimes it's the right time to move a player on. Chilwell's current ability as an attacking full back compared with other players at the top of the game would show quite a disparity but given the huge amounts of money domestic teams will pay for homegrown players we could find ourselves in a situation where Man Utd, Man City or Chelsea want him for £60-70m. That money would be ridiculous for a full back that doesn't score goals, has only a modest record of providing assists and really struggles to operate in the final 3rd with most of our wingers and most certainly can't do it on his own when we play a narrow 4-3-3 like for example Ricardo does on the other side. The money we would get would be redeployed in progressing this side like Dortmund often do.

I think he will be the one player out of all our young stars that we would be most open to doing a deal on for a huge fee. Of course there will be others that might go for more money or will be more courted by the elite sides but we have proven we won't become embroiled in a fire sale.

I understand that, if we were to sell one of our "big assets" (atm Maddison, Chilwell, Ricardo being the hottest properties) Chilwell would be the one to go. However, if we, for example, qualified for the Champions League, I don't think we should sell any of our key players, for anything.

What kind of message does it send to Maddison if we sell Chilwell after getting CL, even if we bought an ostensible upgrade like Telles to replace him? I'm usually not one to bother about "message to our players" type stuff, I didn't see any problems with selling Maguire really. But this would be different.

Guest An Sionnach

You would have thought that Christian Fuchs , with all his vast experience, would be the ideal player for Chilwell to learn from .We are all agreed he needs to improve aspects of his game so working with Fuchs would seem the obvious thing to do.

11 hours ago, MPH said:

We have no idea what plans the club have, just because we are yet to sign a young left back doesn't mean we aren't safeguarding how the next 12-18 months might pan out regarding Chilwell. It's much harder to bring in successors for full backs before the player they will be replacing leaves because there's only 1 position for that player to play in and whilst they are still here they will barely get a chance. We've still got Fuchs which was a shrewd move to make especially with us bringing Justin in as back up to Ricardo but with experience playing at left back too, i'd be surprised if he is our left back replacement for Chilwell though but someone who will challenge and potentially take over from Ricardo who right now is one of the best right backs in Europe.

If we envisage bids for Chilwell coming we'll dig our heels in for the early part of the transfer window whilst we try and secure our targets and squeeze as much money as possible.

21 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I understand that, if we were to sell one of our "big assets" (atm Maddison, Chilwell, Ricardo being the hottest properties) Chilwell would be the one to go. However, if we, for example, qualified for the Champions League, I don't think we should sell any of our key players, for anything.

What kind of message does it send to Maddison if we sell Chilwell after getting CL, even if we bought an ostensible upgrade like Telles to replace him? I'm usually not one to bother about "message to our players" type stuff, I didn't see any problems with selling Maguire really. But this would be different.

I agree in regards to us qualifying for the Champions League, the whole situation changes. Teams will still want our players but why would you want to go elsewhere when we are in the company of the elite? At least not for another season anyway, but that's not say the club might not be hoping that a certain coveted player isn't wanted for a ridiculous price such as Chilwell.

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

You would have thought that Christian Fuchs , with all his vast experience, would be the ideal player for Chilwell to learn from .We are all agreed he needs to improve aspects of his game so working with Fuchs would seem the obvious thing to do.

You say that like its something that they should start doing now. They'll have already been working together for the best part of 4 years since Fuchs first signed for us, and even more so over the last couple of seasons.

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach
1 minute ago, Xen said:

You say that like its something that they should start doing now. They'll have already been working together for the best part of 4 years since Fuchs first signed for us, and even more so over the last couple of seasons.

If so is Chilwell incapable of learning?

Just now, An Sionnach said:

He's come on in absolute leaps and bounds over the last 2 years and is a completely different player to when he made his debut, so no, of course he isn't incapable of learning.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

Pause and think for a minute. Do you really think, if it was as easy as just having an older player in the squad better than you transferring you their skills over time like it's osmosis, that anyone would have trouble developing youth players ever?

Chilwell is clearly capable of learning. He learned a lot from Simpson. But some things are just not possible for certain players to learn, otherwise every squad would have 11 Messis.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

We have no idea what plans the club have, just because we are yet to sign a young left back doesn't mean we aren't safeguarding how the next 12-18 months might pan out regarding Chilwell. It's much harder to bring in successors for full backs before the player they will be replacing leaves because there's only 1 position for that player to play in and whilst they are still here they will barely get a chance. We've still got Fuchs which was a shrewd move to make especially with us bringing Justin in as back up to Ricardo but with experience playing at left back too, i'd be surprised if he is our left back replacement for Chilwell though but someone who will challenge and potentially take over from Ricardo who right now is one of the best right backs in Europe.

If we envisage bids for Chilwell coming we'll dig our heels in for the early part of the transfer window whilst we try and secure our targets and squeeze as much money as possible.

I agree in regards to us qualifying for the Champions League, the whole situation changes. Teams will still want our players but why would you want to go elsewhere when we are in the company of the elite? At least not for another season anyway, but that's not say the club might not be hoping that a certain coveted player isn't wanted for a ridiculous price such as Chilwell.

Home grown local Lad. His Mum probably still does his washing why would he want to leave. If we got Champions league that only leaves one thing, Money. A big silly Contract at Stupid United.

They have more money than sense.

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I suspect tierney had more of a say than brendan ....... Arsenal may not be what they once were but a Scots int full back wouldn’t be in a hurry to turn them down ! 

I totally agree, But my point is, if BR and the Club had decided to sell Chilwell, then surely with BR having direct contact and knowing Tierney well, Surely he would have been in his Ear to come here.

Unless of course he doesn't think he'd be good wnough in the Premiership.

11 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

I totally agree, But my point is, if BR and the Club had decided to sell Chilwell, then surely with BR having direct contact and knowing Tierney well, Surely he would have been in his Ear to come here.

We weren’t prepared to sell chilly this summer

tierney wouldn’t turn down Arsenal to wait another year and be unsure what offers might some his way - sorry to tell you that arsenal are a bigger draw than we are !

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

We weren’t prepared to sell chilly this summer

tierney wouldn’t turn down Arsenal to wait another year and be unsure what offers might some his way - sorry to tell you that arsenal are a bigger draw than we are !

I agree, Arsenal may be a bigger club than us but guess what ?. But for me there's no one bigger than the Foxes.

Guess what though. The Times are a changing. The Super Foxes are coming stay on board and enjoy the ride.Unlike boring Arsenal it's never dull with the Foxes.

18 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

It may be the case that Brendan/Leicester have only contemplated selling Chilwell since the summer.

Fwiw, if the figures being banded about are true then Leicester would be mental to knock back £50-70m for Chilwell.  He's a decent player from what I've seen but I'm yet to be convinced he's anything more than that.

Like Ric alluded to there is an art of selling a player at the right time and with some decent scouting and planning you could go out and get an upgrade on Chilwell and still have £20m left sitting in the bank.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

Home grown local Lad. His Mum probably still does his washing why would he want to leave. If we got Champions league that only leaves one thing, Money. A big silly Contract at Stupid United.

They have more money than sense.

Not that local really - he's from Milton Keynes. Which is about the same distance from Leicester as it is from the London clubs...

• Like 4