Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Ben Chilwell

It will come to a point where we will have to start looking to improve areas where in the past we would have thought we had a strong man in the  position. Chilwell would be the first I'd look at. 

Say for example we were going to challenge for the title next season -

The only positions that wouldn't need strengthening right now would be:

Schmeichel

Ricardo

Evans (but getting old)

Ndidi

Tielemans

Maddison

Vardy (but getting old) 

That leaves 4 positions that we would need to bolster further (6 if you take into account players could drop off quickly with age)  

I'm not saying that players like Soyuncu, Barnes, Choudhury, Praet, Albrighton, Perez are bad players, just that if we're to set the title as an ambition these players would have to be prepared to play second fiddle or possibly be moved on. 

With the new training ground and stadium expansion it's not out of the question we will be challenging for the title in a few seasons, with this our mentality will need to change as fans and we might have to be prepared to get rid of some very good players to be replaced by world-class ones. 

Guest An Sionnach
31 minutes ago, Collymore said:

With the new training ground and stadium expansion it's not out of the question we will be challenging for the title in a few seasons, with this our mentality will need to change as fans and we might have to be prepared to get rid of some very good players to be replaced by world-class ones. 

At the moment you could count world-class players on your fingers .

14 hours ago, Stadt said:

As much as I admire Atletico, Ajax and Porto's business model they don't have such a cushty tv deal. Making a huge sale for them can be like doubling their revenue in a year, it's not quite the same for us. Chelsea lost Hazard and Everton lost Gueye last season but they're anomalies over the last 3 years. When did United or Arsenal last have to sell anybody of note? Wolves, West Ham and Bournemouth, all mid table regulars haven't needed to sell either. 

It makes sense to sell players for an inflated fee and reinvest it but as a club right now there's more to us than a heathy balance sheet, we could sell Chilwell and sign a better player but it's all if, buts and maybes. Fuchs is going at the end of the season, scrabbling around for two left backs in a window is obviously more difficult than one. There's risks associated with constantly selling off great assets. It's more complicated than saying Southampton declined solely because they kept selling players but had they been more resilient, they wouldn't have such a poor squad now. I don't disagree there are better leftbacks out there than Chilwell but if we sold him for say £60m; we're gonna have to spend probably £30-£40m on the replacement, is this worth it for us? It's an unnecessary risk in my opinion.

Atletico's domestic tv revenue from last season was circa 120m euros, add in their continual latter stage Champions league qualification and they probably take in a further 50m euros.  Leicester took in £118m in tv revenue last season so Atletico Madrid, given the current exchange rate, extra champions league income, etc take in quite a bit more than Leicester.

No one is saying take unnecessary risks but to get anywhere you need to take calculated risks.

Edited by henrik_62

1 hour ago, Koke said:

List the full backs currently better than him in the PL. You wont find many.

The 2 Liverpool full backs 

Kyle Walker

Bellerin on his day?

Digne maybe?

It's a very short list.

I know your question was a bit rhetorical, but I carried it out as it interested me

Certainly better

Left backs: 

Robertson

Digne

Right backs:

Ricardo

Trent

*Maybe* better, i don't know

Left backs

Emerson

Tierney

Mendy

Right backs

Wan-Bissaka

Walker

Bellerin

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Collymore said:

It will come to a point where we will have to start looking to improve areas where in the past we would have thought we had a strong man in the  position. Chilwell would be the first I'd look at. 

Schmeichel

Ricardo

Evans (but getting old)

Ndidi

Tielemans

Maddison

Vardy (but getting old) 

That leaves 4 positions that we would need to bolster further (6 if you take into account players could drop off quickly with age)  

I'm not saying that players like Soyuncu, Barnes, Choudhury, Praet, Albrighton, Perez are bad players, just that if we're to set the title as an ambition these players would have to be prepared to play second fiddle or possibly be moved on. 

I'm not saying I disagree with this in principle. I'd happily see a quality left winger signed up, for example. However, do you really think we could find a better 3rd choice midfielder than Praet, or a better centreback at all than Soyuncu that would come here? They're both very good, and Soyuncu is an incredibly rare centreback as his ballplaying, physicality, and pace are all some of his best attributes, which is a very rare and ideal combination for a centreback. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Collymore said:

Schmeichel

Ricardo

Evans (but getting old)

Ndidi

Tielemans

Maddison

Vardy (but getting old) 

....why would they have to be world class!!!!

Perhaps if you are looking for a team of Galacticos then I can understand where you are coming from. The belief that only the very best in your team can get you the top prize is a fallacy and it is pointless chasing that white rabbit.

In what was obviously a different era the Forest team won the league and also conquered Europe, how many of these players in that team were world class and how many who went to another club was successful away from Forest.

The perception as stated by Cantona was that every team needs "water carriers" and that has been borne out in every successful team even Barcelona had players who allowed the creative players to flourish.

I would rather watch us with the current squad trying to break into the upper echelon than to see the club and fan base develope into a self entitled entity, believing that   stockpiling all the talent available is a road map to success. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....why would they have to be world class!!!!

Perhaps if you are looking for a team of Galacticos then I can understand where you are coming from. The belief that only the very best in your team can get you the top prize is a fallacy and it is pointless chasing that white rabbit.

In what was obviously a different era the Forest team won the league and also conquered Europe, how many of these players in that team were world class and how many who went to another club was successful away from Forest.

The perception as stated by Cantona was that every team needs "water carriers" and that has been borne out in every successful team even Barcelona had players who allowed the creative players to flourish.

I would rather watch us with the current squad trying to break into the upper echelon than to see the club and fan base develope into a self entitled entity, believing that   stockpiling all the talent available is a road map to success. 

Agreed. There's another recent example of a 'greater than the sum of its parts' team that I'm surprised you didn't mention.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sdb said:

The lad is class and he's one of our own. Let's hope he's here for years to come. The final ball will come, it's his only real weakness and it's not like there's stacks of target men rushing into the box everytime he's out wide.

We’re lucky to have him. One of the best left backs in the league plays for Leicester City and came through our academy, what’s not to like? lol he’s still only 22 years old ffs and people are writing him off because he’s not perfect. 

If he carries on recent form for the rest of the season then there will be a problem at left back.We all know he can head run looks good happen to think he had a understanding with Maguire in terms of the pass back inside which is not part of the team now.You have to be able to use both feet take  a shot and hit a decent ball on the run .Dead ball is good but just something not happening when running with the ball.

Making more money than me though

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, dyanmark said:

If he carries on recent form for the rest of the season then there will be a problem at left back.We all know he can head run looks good happen to think he had a understanding with Maguire in terms of the pass back inside which is not part of the team now.You have to be able to use both feet take  a shot and hit a decent ball on the run .Dead ball is good but just something not happening when running with the ball.

Making more money than me though

Rubbish. He’s one of the best left backs in the country and will only get better. We are blessed with so many good young players it’s amazing! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TeamRocket said:

Why are so harsh on our players when they playing well?

When we're doing well people search for things to criticise.  Chilwell amongst a few others are easier targets as they have off games compared to players in similar positions e.g. Ricardo 

11 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Because a percentage of us must find a problem at all times.

Exactly. People seem to want to find an issue instead of appreciating what we have  

• Like 1

I think he or Maddison will go in the summer, if not both. Which for me is disappointing - both are exceptional young talents and it’s great to see them progress at this club. 

As a fan, it really is frustrating to see players continually look out for the “big move”. When Heskey left all those years ago, I was a lot younger but though disappointed, I could completely understand his decision. We were a decent side with good honest pros but didn’t have the resources to get anywhere near the level of Liverpool. In fact, it was the Heskey money Taylor wasted the following season. 

Now though, it’s different, we have an owner who is genuinely striving to take this club to the next level. The investment in the training ground, stadium and playing staff is unprecedented for a club like ours. I mean, the intent we showed in not only going after Tielemans but to ensure it was done should give any player the impression that we do not just want to sit still. The club wants to progress.

Add to that the fact we spent £7million to acquire a manager who would not be out of place at these so called big clubs. 

At 22 do they really need to move to progress ? We could really be a champions league club by the end of this season and with the recruitment we are making, where could we be in 3/4 years ? Surely sticking around until they’re 25/26 makes more sense. Achieve something, then leave. We don’t do things in halves here at Leicester. 

Anyway, another summer of refreshing news pages to wonder if someone is going awaits. Hopefully the replacements are as effective as Cags! 

3 hours ago, sdb said:

The lad is class and he's one of our own. Let's hope he's here for years to come. The final ball will come, it's his only real weakness and it's not like there's stacks of target men rushing into the box everytime he's out wide.

...that is exactly the problem!!!

Our forward players do not attack in that fashion with multiple players taking up a position in the box. We are likely to have Vardy an another in the box with support on the edge of the box looking to pick up the pieces. Any attempt to send in crosses is ill judged to say the least.

Why is there a lot of comparison of Chilwell to right backs in the Prem? He is a left back, he is left footed and comfortable on the left. I have never seen him play on the right but I would bet that Danny Simpson is a better right back. However, I don’t for a moment think that Kyle Walker, AWB or TAA are better left backs. It is like comparing Gary Neville and Ashley Cole. Unless he has played right back and I have missed it? 

1 hour ago, HesNotGudjonsonn2 said:

Why is there a lot of comparison of Chilwell to right backs in the Prem? He is a left back, he is left footed and comfortable on the left. I have never seen him play on the right but I would bet that Danny Simpson is a better right back. However, I don’t for a moment think that Kyle Walker, AWB or TAA are better left backs. It is like comparing Gary Neville and Ashley Cole. Unless he has played right back and I have missed it? 

I don't think it's a big stretch to compare how good a left back is at left back to how good a right back is at right back. The original point was that he's one of the best fullbacks in the league.