Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Ben Chilwell

On 15/10/2019 at 18:22, Stadt said:

As much as I admire Atletico, Ajax and Porto's business model they don't have such a cushty tv deal. Making a huge sale for them can be like doubling their revenue in a year, it's not quite the same for us. Chelsea lost Hazard and Everton lost Gueye last season but they're anomalies over the last 3 years. When did United or Arsenal last have to sell anybody of note? Wolves, West Ham and Bournemouth, all mid table regulars haven't needed to sell either. 

It makes sense to sell players for an inflated fee and reinvest it but as a club right now there's more to us than a heathy balance sheet, we could sell Chilwell and sign a better player but it's all if, buts and maybes. Fuchs is going at the end of the season, scrabbling around for two left backs in a window is obviously more difficult than one. There's risks associated with constantly selling off great assets. It's more complicated than saying Southampton declined solely because they kept selling players but had they been more resilient, they wouldn't have such a poor squad now. I don't disagree there are better leftbacks out there than Chilwell but if we sold him for say £60m; we're gonna have to spend probably £30-£40m on the replacement, is this worth it for us? It's an unnecessary risk in my opinion.

Atletico's domestic tv revenue from last season was circa 120m euros, add in their continual latter stage Champions league qualification and they probably take in a further 50m euros.  Leicester took in £118m in tv revenue last season so Atletico Madrid, given the current exchange rate, extra champions league income, etc take in quite a bit more than Leicester.

The unfortunate thing for Leicester here may be that Tierney has already gone to Arsenal.  I know I'm biased to a degree so factor that in but if you could sell Chilwell for £50-60m and replace him with Tierney for half of that then that is great business and that may very well have happened this coming summer if not for the Arsenal move.  Again, aware I'm biased but I think Tierney will prove to be the better player in the fullness of time, he has more quality in an attacking sense from what I've seen of Chilwell.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

Atletico's domestic tv revenue from last season was circa 120m euros, add in their continual latter stage Champions league qualification and they probably take in a further 50m euros.  Leicester took in £118m in tv revenue last season so Atletico Madrid, given the current exchange rate, extra champions league income, etc take in quite a bit more than Leicester.

Atletico sold Griezmann for an exorbitant fee which made sense seeing as he was 28 and had only scored 7 open play goals last season. They've completely overhauled their squad this summer but this isn't the norm for Atleti. When was the last time they lost player they really didn't want to lose? If a team came in with £80m we should sell but I can't see that happening at all. More realistically (conjecture on my part but seems about right) say we sell for £50m-£60m, we're going to have to replace a good left back with a lot of potential still for potentially a better one for probably £30m+ still. For me at least, selling Maguire for the fee he went for was the obvious choice. We'd already signed 2 centrebacks and it's easier to find replacements anyway due to the nature of the position. Leftbacks are much less abundant and like you say the obvious choice in Tierney, went to Arsenal.

3 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

The unfortunate thing for Leicester here may be that Tierney has already gone to Arsenal.  I know I'm biased to a degree so factor that in but if you could sell Chilwell for £50-60m and replace him with Tierney for half of that then that is great business and that may very well have happened this coming summer if not for the Arsenal move.  Again, aware I'm biased but I think Tierney will prove to be the better player in the fullness of time, he has more quality in an attacking sense from what I've seen of Chilwell.

I've serious concerns over Tierney's fitness though, lots of niggles after absolutely hammering 50-60 games a season as a kid. No doubting his ability, I think he looks on a par with Andy Robertson when I've watched him prior to his injuries.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

...too true!!!!

Like everyone else I have seen the videos of Tierney and he has the mentality and understanding that Chillwel unfortunately lacks. There is scope for Chillwel to improve from his present plateau and I am not ruling him out not to become a great left back. He has upped his game before, he just needs to go up another level through more work in the summer. 

• Like 1

although i think he is a great player my fear for him is that the things he lacks in his game are the things that come naturally and are very hard to learn - personally would take a high bid for him but at the same time think he has a lot to offer and still has age on his side.

Guest An Sionnach

Chilwell's one footedness has been mentioned a lot. A lot of lefties seem incapable of trusting their right foot and it makes them more predictable . Many left backs are naturally right footed but are also very competent with their left . So when attacking they will be just as likely to cut in as take it outside . With our lack of height in the middle high crosses from outside runs are mostly a waste of time . Ricci can go both ways which makes him much more dangerous than Chilwell.

Edited by An Sionnach

I'd love to see chilly play pissed up, so he didn't get so nervous every time he got within 30 feet of the oppositions goalposts. Definitely wouldn't sell him though, it's not just about the individual, it's about how he fits in to the unit we're crafting.

2 hours ago, Stadt said:

Atletico sold Griezmann for an exorbitant fee which made sense seeing as he was 28 and had only scored 7 open play goals last season. They've completely overhauled their squad this summer but this isn't the norm for Atleti. When was the last time they lost player they really didn't want to lose? If a team came in with £80m we should sell but I can't see that happening at all. More realistically (conjecture on my part but seems about right) say we sell for £50m-£60m, we're going to have to replace a good left back with a lot of potential still for potentially a better one for probably £30m+ still. For me at least, selling Maguire for the fee he went for was the obvious choice. We'd already signed 2 centrebacks and it's easier to find replacements anyway due to the nature of the position. Leftbacks are much less abundant and like you say the obvious choice in Tierney, went to Arsenal.

Atletico have been selling their top players for years according to this model, go all the way back to Aguero and work from there to see the evidence.  In fact you can probably go back even further than him.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I've serious concerns over Tierney's fitness though, lots of niggles after absolutely hammering 50-60 games a season as a kid. No doubting his ability, I think he looks on a par with Andy Robertson when I've watched him prior to his injuries.

That's a fair point, the last year he has picked up a lot on injuries as you say, probably due to the fact of playing over 200 games by the time he was 22.

1 hour ago, mikey_b said:

although i think he is a great player my fear for him is that the things he lacks in his game are the things that come naturally and are very hard to learn - personally would take a high bid for him but at the same time think he has a lot to offer and still has age on his side.

..I think what he lacks is all coachable!!!

With Maguire, there was a connection, where Chillwel was an out ball, with him pushing up wide, on the left touchline. It was noticeable, how confident he is with receiving the ball played on to his chest and controlling and killing the ball with a deft touch. The problem for him was what to do when progressing the play and utilising the options open to him. Inevitably the balls he delivered were poor and although gaining a corner in the final third should be deemed positive, with our record in that area the outcome was always  disappointing.

It is my opinion, he is not being challenged in developing his game and it must be difficult, to continually raid the left flank with the constant changes and disruptions ahead of him. The balance on the right is so much better with less upheaval with Perez predominantly being there supporting Ricardo.

This all now comes down to mindset, how do I progress my game, what can I do on or off the ball, to create an opening in the final third.What are Vardys', Maddisons' strengths, and how can i relate my play, to positively affect what they are looking to do

. All questions he should have been asking himself and if those thoughts are not at the forefront of his mind he effectively has settled and needs to know he has a lot to offer and as such a great deal more to gain!!!

• Like 1

He was very poor for most of the game today, hardly a forward  pass all match, lacking in confidence and just a couple of runs up the pitch. 
.....let’s hope he improves soon or the title of this thread will come to pass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, LestaAl said:

He was very poor for most of the game today, hardly a forward  pass all match, lacking in confidence and just a couple of runs up the pitch. 

I especially like the part today where one off his passes went completely astray and then had the cheek to rollick Barnes for not getting his pass 

Guest An Sionnach
40 minutes ago, LestaAl said:

I think we can rule out any transfer for the moment , why would anybody pay big money for him right now ? We are still winning so not a critical problem but he needs to watch his play on video and sort himself out .

I want to shout out his defensive work. His positioning and decision making of when to go tight and when to drop off are impeccable. The late clearing back post sweep (learnt from.Simpson, I reckon) is good too.

And he has this knack of tackling without tackling. A foot round the corner, a nudge, an anticpatory step in front.

I noticed today that the deep cross that led to their goal came.from his side....and the players kind of looked over as if to ask, 'where did that come from?'.....that's how rare he lets crosses in.

But, I accept, his forward play can be infuriating

He had a fantastic breakthrough campaign last year. Hasn’t hit the heights yet this season. Still only 22/23 years old, now pretty much England’s first choice left back. He is going to have peaks and troughs in form, he’s not the finished article by any means but he’s a very good one! People were calling for him to be binned off when he first came into the side 17/18. 9 games in, people would be happy to flog him! Let’s be careful what we wish for. Back the lad, he won’t be easy to replace. Fuchs can come in, he was excellent when called upon at the start of the season. Do we want to be buying two left backs next summer, or bring in a competitive replacement to challenge Chilwell and step up if/when he is sold for big money 

1 hour ago, LestaAl said:

Lacking in confidence you say, Not a massive suprise is it when you got fans like ours on your back.

50 minutes ago, Goober said:

Thought he was great second half.

Criticism is fine but **** me the lad has truly become the new scapegoat. Leave it out 

Especially when he's one of our own. There are not 3 better left backs in this league than him. Genuinely not. Who would we get in who improves on him? No one in my head. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, worthosoriginals said:

Lacking in confidence you say, Not a massive suprise is it when you got fans like ours on your back.

Guys sat near me were saying he looked shot of confidence. Yet in the next breath is slating him for something. 

No surprise he doesn't take risks or plays it a bit safer with the crowd on his back as soon as he makes a mistake. 

In comparison, Cags made a few errors today and the crowd almost instantly starts singing his name.