Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Ben Chilwell

Guest An Sionnach

Look Hamza is "only 22" and looks as though he has been doing it for the last ten years. Chilwell should be at least 95% of what he is ever going to be by now . By the way the standard of English defenders is pretty low right now so playing for England is no excuse .He needs time on the bench , Rogers will change his forwards around when necessary so why not his left back ?

12 hours ago, Collymore said:

Alright, diabolical then.

No player has been close to diabolical. On the defensive side he's been solid other than a few games. The attacking side of his game in terms of end product has been disappointing, but he's 22 years old. 

• Like 2

Unfortunately, the Leeches (agents) will always exploit situations to line their own deep grubby pockets.  Unless our Board really dig their heels in, we will get picked off every window, although it is the same for all us 'smaller' Clubs.   We do at least refuse to sell unless our price is met, which is more than some Clubs do.

Until Contracts are universally changed to ensure Players/Agents that dump a contract early are HIT financially by missing out on Loyalty bonuses, things will carry on as is and Clubs like us will get weakened by the so called glamour Clubs -  Man City/Chelsea/Liverpool/Man United

This thread would be better closed until the Window opens again and the Agent Circus begins.

8 hours ago, berniethebolt said:

Wow.. I cant believe what ive read on this thread.

A lad who is only 22 years old has possibly 10 plus years of playing career ahead of him, and an England international and yet he is no good for us and should be sold?

To replace Chillwell would be a huge outlay to achieve his quality.. crossing needs work, odd defensive clitch.. but come 25 (a whole 3 years development.. he could be incredible.. and still Englands first choice left back!)

Im afraid gents it beggars belief the delusions of grandeur which some of us have.

I personally think he is excellent and currently in average form.. but form it temporary, class is permanent.

That last paragraph is blue tinted specs and then some. Chilwell has never demonstrated class in the areas he is being criticised for. 

16 minutes ago, m4DD0gg said:

That last paragraph is blue tinted specs and then some. Chilwell has never demonstrated class in the areas he is being criticised for. 

Chilwell is a good player. There is a reason he has been linked to some of the top clubs like Liverpool and Man City. Not his fault if some people with turd tinted specs on this forum can’t see it. 

that is not to say there aren’t areas he can improve. There are areas of the game most players can improve. 

however he is young and dynamic - an absolute asset which will likely be stripped from us in the next 12-24 months. 

sometimes we should just appreciate what we’ve got. 

12 hours ago, Collymore said:

It's hardly scapegoating as we're doing really well in the league and the club as a whole are doing great and no one's looking for excuses. 

Many of us have been saying he's been pretty rubbish for a long time now and what worries me is that I've not once heard him reflect on his poor performances or ever hold his hands up to say he needs to improve - he's even been on to LCFC TV recently banging on how "confidence is flowing" 

I'd have more respect for him if he actually came out and acknowledged that his fundamental game is floored and see him take proactive steps in games to try and improve this. I think Brendan probably knows this too but I think he's playing him still for 3 reasons. 

1. Dropping him and publicly telling the world he's not good enough for Leicester would probably knock off £40m of his value over night. 

2. Dropping him would almost certainly end his England career and turn his world upside down, I feel Brendan probably feels a duty of care for him as a human being.

3. Brendan's ego would struggle to concede he's got (what is wrongly perceived) as one of the brightest talents in the country and has failed to develop him or make him work. 

I don't buy this "scapegoat" "Get behind or players" "He's home grown FFS" argument. I've supported and encouraged worst players than Chilwell in the past and will do in the future, but I just can't stomach the fact he seems untouchable and he seems completely oblivious (as does the media and Southgate) that he's on a rapid decline.

Ah, so him playing has naught to do with Fuchs not being the player he used to be, either? Last time he had a consistent run of games he was awful for us, lest we forget. Chilwell's struggled ever since Rodgers has implemented his more aggressive style of play which has led to Chilwell having a lot more to do, it's natural for him to struggle because of it. With time, and potentially more defensive cover from the other left sided players as they adapt to the system, he will get used to this system and regain his form from the beginning of last year.

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

Look Hamza is "only 22" and looks as though he has been doing it for the last ten years. Chilwell should be at least 95% of what he is ever going to be by now . By the way the standard of English defenders is pretty low right now so playing for England is no excuse .He needs time on the bench , Rogers will change his forwards around when necessary so why not his left back ?

He absolutely doesn't lol. There's a reason his tackles are a thing so rarely seen these days, because they need to be cleaned up in the modern game. As much as we love them, they're a sign of his youthful playstyle.

• Like 1

This is interesting from another angle ...... remember when harry gave an interview saying that madders should stick around to do his hard yards in the prem with us before looking to move.  Translated, this read ‘the club will only sell one big asset each summer and this year its going to be me’

if the same applies next summer, then players agents will be scrambling to get their deal front of the queue and most attractive to us.  Madders, chilly, Ricardo, cags ...... they will all be in demand and I’m pretty sure we wouldn’t sell more than one unless we had very solid cheaper replacements lined up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, An Sionnach said:

Hamza plays in a position on the pitch where he often has space all around him, with upwards to 5 possible players to pass to. Chilwell has no space to his left, and often nobody in front of him to pass to, meaning he has to either go sideways or backwards.

Chilwell still achieves a higher key pass per 90' than Ricardo, even with this handicap, though.

This isn't rocket science.

Edited by Beechey

Guest An Sionnach

So the modern game is now a non contact sport is it . Hamza's tackling  technique is excellent , studs down against Salah for instance , no you don't dive-in in the penalty area but his physical game is vital to a successful team . He is a ball winner and he looks to make forward passes when he gets the ball something the others often lack.

2 minutes ago, An Sionnach said:

So the modern game is now a non contact sport is it . Hamza's tackling  technique is excellent , studs down against Salah for instance , no you don't dive-in in the penalty area but his physical game is vital to a successful team . He is a ball winner and he looks to make forward passes when he gets the ball something the others often lack.

No it's not.

N'didi's tackling technique is excellent as he doesn't have to launch himself at people and go to the floor. If Hamza was so good he wouldn't have taken out or injured Salah, he wouldn't have smashed the lads legs for England, got sent off and given away a penno and he wouldn't have injured Rithie. 

The way he tackles will cost him and the club, because you get that tackle wrong (as he already has three times), people get injured and he'll get sent off. 

• Like 1

Whilst I believe he's got potential, I fear he has reached his peak at Leicester and we may only see him up his game now should he move to one of the glamour clubs. 

'one of our own' or not, I can definitely see him waving bye to us if ever a serious bid came in. 

"see you in January Ben" :ph34r:

Screenshot_20191009_103504.jpg

Edited by adejo92

On 06/10/2019 at 08:15, happy85 said:

Leicester scouting left-backs with Ben Chilwell set for £50million exit

Alan Nixon is the source who is very well informed on Leicester transfer dealings 

From an outside perspective (NUFC fan here), it seems like you're doing something fairly similar to what Spurs have been doing where you lose some of your big players but manage to very astutely reinvest, all the while maintaining a core ideology and a good manager. Still, must be galling on some level to lose Maguire and then potentially Chilwell, but you seem on the up. I wonder if it's too early to say Maguire must be regretting moving so soon, given the state of Man Utd and Leicester's advancements?!

• Like 1

What other club with top 4 ambition would sell their first choice left back for a paltry fee (by modem standards) in January?

Fuchs is a great backup, but he's not champions league quality. Any replacement of chilwell's quality would cost at least 30m, and they would need a few months to gel with the team and/or acclimate to the premier league.

The money to be made based on finishing top 4, and qualifying for the champions league alone would surpass chilwell's transfer fee. If we sell, what message does that send the to players, Brendan Rodgers, and the premier league? To me it signals we are a selling club to the "big clubs," and we don't have ambitions to be in the top 4/6. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

This is what frustrates me with our fans. You post this now, but after a few bad performances from Hamza (most likely a few red cards) and youll be throwing him under the bus next. 

Players have good periods and bad periods, nobody is perfect. There's a reason most of the top clubs in this league would snap our hands off if we offered them Chilly.

For a bit of clarity just look at Sterling, he was raw and many fans thought he'd never be able to improve on his rashness and poor crossing and finishing.... But under a few seasons with a great coach he's up there with the best in the league.  Ben's 22, he will get better and everyone in this thread will likely look back on this and think about how stupid we were to consider selling anyone who is looking at being part of a golden generation of players for us.  And dont understate the effect him leaving would have on the dressing room, he is an extremely popular figure at the club and the effect to our squad morale would be huge. 

I felt it a the time with Maguire (luckily we had a great replacement waiting) but all our club needs to do is keep this squad together, they're only going to improve and we could be in for 5 years of awesomeness.  When people list lb as an area for concern I scoff at it, because if thats our weakness we are one of the luckiest teams in the league.  The only area of concern is striker, because as time goes by our superhero will eventually start to fade and we need to make sure we can find that perfect replacement. 

Its just so damn hard for us not to find something to moan about eh? 

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 1