Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Ben Chilwell

4 hours ago, baldeagle said:

I especially like the part today where one off his passes went completely astray and then had the cheek to rollick Barnes for not getting his pass 

Yeah, to me, his biggest problem seems to be that he thinks he is really good and if that is true it will stand in his way in terms of improving.  It was so noticeable that Maddison dropped really deep on the left a few times in the second half to take the ball instead of Chilwell in order to progress the ball up the field - I wonder whether this is because of Rogers’ instructions (good if that is the case as it means Rogers recognises the issue) or Maddison’s own observations. Either way, Chilwell really needs to learn to pass the ball forward to someone other than Soyuncu!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Guesty said:

Chilwell reminds me of players like: Danny Wellbeck, Tom Cleverly, Theo Walcott, Jack Wilshere, etc. 

They aren't as bad as some people say, but the hype train behind them builds them up to be something they'll never be when they're young. They have potential, but can never fufil it due to flaws in their game.

I wonder if he'll ever reach his potential. I hope he does, but sometimes I wonder if he's reached his ceiling and it's time to cash in.

Yeah ... agree. I think he has good basic techniques and athleticism, but he may need to change his mindset to improve. He really needs to be dropped in favour of Fuchs in my opinion. Time to clam down his ego.

36 minutes ago, TK95 said:

An improvement on recent performances definitely. 

Going forward, I still want to see him take it down the line and fizz it in though. He still has the tendency to stop and play it back.

He gets it right for England!

He said in an interview he’s been told to go inside more when attacking so blame the manager, Southgate wants England to copy Liverpool so he has to go wide 

I actually thought 2nd half he was alright, but other than that he's had a pretty crap season so far. 

Doesn't help that on the opposite flank is the leagues best RB either. 

I still think giving him some competition in his position will help, give Fuchs a run out. 

I think if I was down the park with Chilwell and asked him to put a few into the box for me to gobble up he'd really struggle with the task.

Like I've said before, there's not a cat in hell's chance that Brendan will drop him for financial reasons. I hope we have someone lined up in January where we could make a quick £20m gross profit and end up improving the area. 

At this point, I don't expect him to ever learn to deliver great crosses. But he then needs to work on how to contribute in our attacks in other ways.

For our 2nd goal, the passes between the triangle of Ricardo, Gray, and Praet were quick and created space. These are 3 players who have barely played with eachother.

If I was on the coaching staff, I'd have Chilwell, Barnes, and Maddison practicing those types of plays constantly. If they all are to start together regularly, then they need that chemistry of how to quickly move the ball.

38 minutes ago, FireFox said:

At this point, I don't expect him to ever learn to deliver great crosses. But he then needs to work on how to contribute in our attacks in other ways.

For our 2nd goal, the passes between the triangle of Ricardo, Gray, and Praet were quick and created space. These are 3 players who have barely played with eachother.

If I was on the coaching staff, I'd have Chilwell, Barnes, and Maddison practicing those types of plays constantly. If they all are to start together regularly, then they need that chemistry of how to quickly move the ball.

I don't think it's coincidence that Chilwell has looked like a lost boy since Rodgers took over. Puel encouraged him to surge forward with the ball and I thought we'd unearthed the new Bale at times but the one thing that always was missing was that final ball. 

With Brendan being a massive stats man I'm sure he's told Chilwell to play the ball simple and leave it to other players.

He'll have looked at the amount of times Ben got into dangerous areas (especially under Puel) and been baffled by the low percentage of goals or chances created. I've read and heard some remarkable stories about how much detail Rodgers drills down into stats so I wouldn't be surprised if this was one of the first things he changed. 

Simply put I don't think Chilwell suits his system but is just about getting by as a simple defensive LB and someone to pass the ball to more creative players. 

Vardy's goal today is a perfect example, Chilwell played a simple ball to Barnes and before you know it, goal!

• Like 3

Guest Markyblue

I think Brendan has reigned in his cavalier style and he looks a shadow of the player he was, that said hes been told to play a different way for the sake of the team and is still a young lad, talk of selling him is frankly ridiculous. 

7 hours ago, gw_leics772 said:

Taking all of that into account, and not changing my mind, should tell you where i stand with him.

However, he's a highly saleable asset, and for that reason, along with us doing so well, he keeps his place til January window, and if he hasn't improved, cash in.

Ricardo is the benchmark, and he's light years ahead.

Ricardo is arguably the best right back in the league! Bit of a high standard to hold at a club like ours no?

10 hours ago, Collymore said:

Utter gash.

He's been the weak link for a while now.

You and the people who've repped you are in utter denial. 

What do you expect on foxestalk. Basically like china on this site. Say the wrong thing express the wrong opinion and uh oh your in trouble boy. Hell there is even a social rep scoring system here. 

Said years ago he is very left footed and that was a problem. He’s ironed that out but it still manifests itself in a technique issue. 

When he receives the ball, his body faces inwards and therefore backwards. You compare that Ricky P whose first action is to control and open up his body...therefore passing options are so much more 

Then again spotted out he’s missing Maguire a little bit in terms of getting the ball out. 

However Burnley’s first goal he deserves the bollocking from Kasper 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 2

Thought he was okay, better performance than recent weeks, though the goal was questionable. I've always thought he gets through a lot of work without always having help from Barnes though. First time Barnes actually ran at Burnley and crossed he provided the goal but other than that he's often inside which doesn't help Chilwell.

Edited by Fox92

I think we'd get so much more change from him going forward if he was even remotely comfortable using his right peg. Quite a few times he goes a roundabout way to getting a pass off because he's playing it onto his left, but you'd like to thing these things will develop over time with the right coaching.

I think he's a cracking young player and I'm genuinely baffled at the level of criticism he's copping in here.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

I want to shout out his defensive work. His positioning and decision making of when to go tight and when to drop off are impeccable. The late clearing back post sweep (learnt from.Simpson, I reckon) is good too.

And he has this knack of tackling without tackling. A foot round the corner, a nudge, an anticpatory step in front.

I noticed today that the deep cross that led to their goal came.from his side....and the players kind of looked over as if to ask, 'where did that come from?'.....that's how rare he lets crosses in.

But, I accept, his forward play can be infuriating

Impeccable?  Didn’t make much effort to close down McNeil for the cross. Stood off and dangled his foot out. 

• Like 3

On 20/10/2019 at 16:53, Fox92 said:

Thought he was okay, better performance than recent weeks, though the goal was questionable. I've always thought he gets through a lot of work without always having help from Barnes though. First time Barnes actually ran at Burnley and crossed he provided the goal but other than that he's often inside which doesn't help Chilwell.

Yeah ... I think Barnes also needs to drop back a bit to give Chilwell more passing options even though this may not be Barnes’ natural game. Good to see Maddison dropping back too on the left in the second half against Burnley. But Chilwell must also recognise his problems and try to improve his game so that Maddison and Barnes can get more of the ball in places they want them.  We surely can’t be very creative if a majority of the passes completed are to Soyuncu and Evans!

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 1

He really isn't as bad as some on here are making out. He's not had his best season but he's a very decent player. Personally I think he is a little one footed and he's frustrating at times with his final ball.

However, a good number of people in the game rate him highly. Southgate thinks he's good enough for England, Klopp tried to buy him a few years ago, even Adrian Durham on Talk Sport rates him! And obviously our manager does as well, plus talk of a new contract.

He will probably be the next one to be sold and wouldn't be surprised to see him end up at Man Utd, who will no doubt have several more orgies of obscene spending in the next couple of transfer windows. If he goes he will leave a big hole in the left back position. Fuchs is pretty certain to finish at the end of this season I would have thought and then we're looking at 2 new left backs.

Despite the need to drop him in favour of Fuchs, in my opinion, to give a kick up his ar*e, I think Chilwell needs to stay for a few seasons: (1) for his sake because he will get found out; (2) because he should repay his debt to the club that gave him his chance even if he is to sit on the bench like Fuchs is doing.

16 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

Despite the need to drop him in favour of Fuchs, in my opinion, to give a kick up his ar*e, I think Chilwell needs to stay for a few seasons: (1) for his sake because he will get found out; (2) because he should repay his debt to the club that gave him his chance even if he is to sit on the bench like Fuchs is doing.

Perhaps he feels the £50+ million transfer fee Leicester are likely to receive is repaying any perceived debt?

Edited by MGLCFC

I’m pretty sure we’ve only conceded 6 goals in the 7 games, he’s played and he has at least 2 assists and I would say he’s been involved in the build up to 5/6 goals we’ve scored this season - someone who is better with stat websites might be able to back these up - or discredit them, I’m going from memory of goals this season.

• Like 2