Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Ben Chilwell

36 minutes ago, DerbyshireFox said:

He had a fantastic breakthrough campaign last year. Hasn’t hit the heights yet this season. Still only 22/23 years old, now pretty much England’s first choice left back. He is going to have peaks and troughs in form, he’s not the finished article by any means but he’s a very good one! People were calling for him to be binned off when he first came into the side 17/18. 9 games in, people would be happy to flog him! Let’s be careful what we wish for. Back the lad, he won’t be easy to replace. Fuchs can come in, he was excellent when called upon at the start of the season. Do we want to be buying two left backs next summer, or bring in a competitive replacement to challenge Chilwell and step up if/when he is sold for big money 

I agree with all of this and want to keep him, but I would sell him for Telles. Just him though, in terms of potential realistic signings. 

He has been average at best, absolutely rubbish at worst in every game he's played this season.

This is a full-back who is 23 in two months and he still cannot cross a ball whatsoever. He must stand over free-kicks with Maddison just for a chat, because he can't pass the ball 5 yards straight half the time, never mind launch a dangerous ball in.

He is excellent in the air, and fairly decent positionally nowadays. But today he was nowhere near the wide player as he crosses it in for Wood's goal, so even going backwards there are question marks.

He and Barnes between them have no idea how to deal with each other's movement in the opposition half, mainly because they seem to be carbon copies of each other in terms of footballing intelligence (or lack of it).

I'm not a big fan of Fuchs these days but someone needs to kick Chilwell up the arse quickly. £50-60m with some good recruitment, as we did with Soyuncu, would be an upgrade in this side. Ricardo is lightyears ahead of him, and that ought to be his benchmark.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Goober said:

Thought he was great second half.

Criticism is fine but **** me the lad has truly become the new scapegoat. Leave it out 

Utter gash.

He's been the weak link for a while now.

You and the people who've repped you are in utter denial. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

He’s got 7 assists to Ricardo’s 6 (since start of 2018/19 season) I think he gets more stick on here because hes often all over social media out with his mate whilst Ricci is more reserved. Chilwell like many of our side do need to improve certain aspects of their games but if he was a complete player he wouldn’t be here

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Utter gash.

Explain this one. Why does everyone bang on about his crossing being poor? Are we that desperate to find something wrong that we pick at his one average attribute? I'd rather us retain possession and rebuild an attack and I feel he keeps the ball well, gets in the right position more often than not, he's quick, strong in the air, good on the ball. I cannot for the life of me see how he's THAT bad that he's singled out.

Sure he has some negatives. Every player in the team does. But I'm yet to see one convincing argument to separate Chilwell from the other 10 only players on the pitch as being the weak link. 

Baffles me completely. 

23 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Utter gash.

You're talking about the lad like he's ****ing Ryan McGivern.

He's not cost us a goal in god knows how long. At the very least he's been brilliant defensively this year. 

What am I in 'denial' about? He's been the least impressive of our back 4 but he's still a very good player. He's got plenty of room to improve and I'm confident he will.

Pathetic negative overreactions on here don't surprise me one bit

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nicolo Barella said:

I agree with all of this and want to keep him, but I would sell him for Telles. Just him though, in terms of potential realistic signings. 

Alex Telles would certainly push/replace Chilwell!! If we had a chance of getting him I’d be all over it, I fear there may be a queue though! Keeping Ricardo might persuade him, along with European football should things go to plan. Other than him, I don’t know who else we could go for.

The problem is so many people wrote him off early doors, they are now desperately trying to be right, so pick up on every little thing he does wrong.

Genuinely one of the best full backs in the country and some idiots still moan. 
Can not think of a single player, who would come here, that we could sign at left back who would improve the team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Nope, just as erratic regardless who is playing left wing

He has got a lot worse since Rodgers became manager. With how we are playing currently, the wide men become narrow when we attack, with the expectation of the full backs pushing on. This appears to be highlighting the flaws in his game. Having Albrighton, who although cuts inside, is a natural winger, certainly helped him mask these flaws. 

Those who dont believe Chilwells passing and crossing ability is a big deal are naive. Its a crucial part of how we play in this current setup. His place in the team should be under pressure.. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, M0901 said:

Especially when he's one of our own. There are not 3 better left backs in this league than him. Genuinely not. Who would we get in who improves on him? No one in my head. 

Thank you! Can't believe some of the hate directed to him. Criticism is fair enough but seems like some people can't wait to give him some stick. Baffling 

When was the last time Chilwell managed a tackle that was more than just putting a hoof to the ball? I cannot recall him ever coming away with the ball after dispossessing an opposing forward or winger. He is hardly likely to seeing he tends to rarely press opponents unless they are within 15 yards of goal. Today, Wilf made more tackles in the LB position than Chilwell with his one fine dispossession on the touchline and pass on. This is why Chilwells performance was greatly improved in the second half, because Wilf moved over to help him out.

We saw in the Newcastle game Ben getting skinned so easily. He is a player that does need help from those around him and until he can hold his own physically and press effectively so players cannot cross past him or over him he still has tremendous scope for improvement.

18 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Based on the logic in this thread: 

Cags was a bit poor today and made some individual errors, so I think we should push him out to Man City for £50m in Jan. 

If Soyuncu goes nearly a calendar year without a good performance then yes, agreed

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

"The new lad" is a right back. He's played at left back, and according to his previous club is much better at right back.

Taking all of that into account, and not changing my mind, should tell you where i stand with him.

However, he's a highly saleable asset, and for that reason, along with us doing so well, he keeps his place til January window, and if he hasn't improved, cash in.

Ricardo is the benchmark, and he's light years ahead.

Chilwell reminds me of players like: Danny Wellbeck, Tom Cleverly, Theo Walcott, Jack Wilshere, etc. 

They aren't as bad as some people say, but the hype train behind them builds them up to be something they'll never be when they're young. They have potential, but can never fufil it due to flaws in their game.

I wonder if he'll ever reach his potential. I hope he does, but sometimes I wonder if he's reached his ceiling and it's time to cash in.

• Like 1