Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Ben Chilwell

8 minutes ago, ttfn said:

Judging by your post below I can only assume you have mid-read what I’ve written as we seem to be in agreement about the need to change the left back in the short term. At this point if you think persevering with Chilwell through this sticky patch is worth doing when Fuchs is in the squad you’re a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic.

Its no big deal, he’s young, he’ll have bad runs of form and he’ll be back a better player. But he needs to be taken out of the firing line for the sake of the team.

Maybe I misinterpreted what you said then,

as I would take an ageing Fuchs with 1 leg over a fully fit chillwell right now

He didn’t have a fantastic game today no. But I’m so happy that the majority of our fans pointed that out to him as soon as he made the first mistake. 

As for the villa game he got the ball all the time when he was stationary. Chillwell is more effective when running at pace. He isn’t a skilful player, he has pace and requires the winger (or inside forward we play with) holding the ball and releasing him when he is already sprinting. 

Edited by trueblue06

2 hours ago, GingerrrFox said:

If Maddison wants to go United and Chilwell wants to go to Chelsea/Man City then it’s time to start planning for their departures in the summer. Tell them both if we get Champions League football then they can leave in the summer with good lucks for the future.

We need to start building a football club that is regularly going to be challenging for the Top 4. People can say it’s not realistic but Man City were nothing 20 years ago. The model needs to be building a football club that is attractive to young talent and always being ready to replace them. Becoming an English Borussia Dortmund would do us handsomely. We need to keep players whilst they are performing and want to be here and then moving them on to suit our agenda when the time is right. 

To become another Man City you need to keep your best players though - that's the reason they have done what they have done, we aren't going to be regular top 4 challengers if we just lose our talented players every summer.

Being Dortmund isnt really viable for us as we aren't the second/third richest club in England. Plus it's a far weaker league - we cant assume half of the current so called "big six" will be as bad as this season.

If they want to go then so be it but long term we've got to work out how to get top class players wanting to stay and the only way to do that is to win things and pay top wages.

28 minutes ago, Ricey said:

I think the Villa game crushed his already low confidence. He shouldn’t have started today.

The crowds reaction to him though was embarrassing. He’s an academy product who is now England’s first choice left back. He’s improved considerably over the years, but he’s going through a rough patch. Support him, don’t crucify him.

Agreed on both points, but the fact that a number of fans chose to cheer ironically when Chilwell finally made a pass to a blue shirt (rather than to a yellow one or the touch line, which is where his first few efforts ended up) demonstrated just how atrociously badly he was playing.

No one in their right mind goes to a game wanting to boo, put off or belittle one of their own players, so I would say the embarrassment applies not just to those fans who felt compelled to react in that way but equally to Chilwell for his abysmal performance.

Player A crosses the ball, and either hits the first man, goes over everybody’s head or just gets caught by the keeper - everyone loves him.

Player B notices nobody in the box so doesn’t cross it and instead keeps possession - everyone hates him. 

Leicester fans in a nutshell. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lildave3 said:

Player A crosses the ball, and either hits the first man, goes over everybody’s head or just gets caught by the keeper - everyone loves him.

Player B notices nobody in the box so doesn’t cross it and instead keeps possession - everyone hates him. 

Player C(hilwell)- does both

1 hour ago, Tuna said:

Heads turned then?

Not surprising. Very disappointing. 

Whether it's true or not I'm not buying this as a reason for either Chillwell or Maddisons poor performances recently. First off Man Utd have clearly been interested in Maddison since the summer and he's been great most of the season, hell he was prob man of the match against Newcastle the other week despite the links to the mancs resurfacing. Is his head only turned when he's played poorly?

As for Chilwell his performance yesterday defied explanation it was so bad. Him fancying a move to Man City does not result in him being totally incapable of passing to your own team. In both cases I'm sure it's primarily a drop off in form/performance aided by a different approach by some opposition rather than either of them spending the game daydreaming about the northwest of England!

Do I need to go into detail about how bad he was in the last game, 

Needs dropping, and Fuchs in for now.  If he puts in transfer request for been dropped then cash in.  If he puts head down, and works to get better then bring him back in after a rest.

I am also getting sick of the constant having a go at fans for not liking it when our players play badly

It seems some are more concerned about the fans moaning rather than the performance of said players which I find concerning.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Fox92 said:

I did think the heads turned thing is easy to throw around when clubs have been rumoured to be interested.

But it's very interesting that form has dipped and contract talks quietened, it was weeks ago Rodgers was talking about sitting down with new contracts for these players.

I take Bert's post with a pinch of salt.

If you a cleaning lady or someone else in that kind of position, you probably dont care about leaking such things, but then you wouldnt also have access to such information either.

If you are the manager, the CEO or someone else privy to knowing if player's head has turned, contract talks etc., you not going to be leaking this info to a moderator of a public forum.

Head's may have been turned, but that would be a lucky guess, based on the media speculation which you stated and nothing more.

Edited by Chrysalis

11 hours ago, GingerrrFox said:

If Maddison wants to go United and Chilwell wants to go to Chelsea/Man City then it’s time to start planning for their departures in the summer. Tell them both if we get Champions League football then they can leave in the summer with good lucks for the future.

We need to start building a football club that is regularly going to be challenging for the Top 4. People can say it’s not realistic but Man City were nothing 20 years ago. The model needs to be building a football club that is attractive to young talent and always being ready to replace them. Becoming an English Borussia Dortmund would do us handsomely. We need to keep players whilst they are performing and want to be here and then moving them on to suit our agenda when the time is right. 

The flaw with your idea, is clubs that will continue to challenge, dont do so by letting key players leave so easily, that is a very big flaw with the idea.

I get what you saying though, making CL qualification a condition of letting them leave at least motivates them for the rest of the season, but its a poor long term strategy.  We cant be realistically thinking we can keep getting great look in the transfer market, and yes it would be great luck, as when you buy players, its not just about if they good quality, but if they are right mentally, and fit in with the squad and management.  That is most definitely not a given.

I think whats helped with Justin and Soyuncu is that they were training with us for a while before been given any kind of regular first team slots.  Which meant they were integrated.  Nacho, we tried to use the moment we got him, it blew up in our faces, he was then given a long time out of the team, and it seemed to produce a good result.  So one of the secrets for transfer market success seems to be (at least with younger players), to have them training for a period of time before trying to get them to perform in games.

Young players have potential to improve, they make more money when they sold, I see those kind of merits, but they also get ambitious, are mentally weak and lack experience which for things like positional sense.

I feel we do need probably at least 2 27+ year old signings, to rebalance the experience of the squad, those players if they integrate, would probably also stay with us until end of their contracts.  I dont think its good long term strategy to be swapping players in and out when they have only been with us for a measly two seasons.  Players like chilwell who we had for longer, its worth pointing out we have probably only had maybe 2 good seasons out of chilwell, when he first started playing for the first team, he was pretty bad.

Maddison's first season with us. it took him 3/4 of the season to get sharp, so we have basically got 9 months of "proper" football out of the player before his head got turned, which is beyond silly.

I doubt e.g. Evans is thinking about things like "maybe next year I will be playing for Man City", he is at an age where he already knows his limits, and would ne happy to just win games with us.

Thats the major downside of using young players, their ambition.

Edited by Chrysalis

5 hours ago, lildave3 said:

Yeah I don't get this either lol

I get that sometimes Chilwell could be a bit more forward-thinking but sometimes the pass forward just isn't on and knocking it back to Soyuncu or in field to Choudhury/Maddison is the better option. 

Got far too many fans around me acting like they were when Puel was in charge and it's disturbing because I don't think there'll ever be satisfied with anything we do. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Yeah I don't get this either lol

I get that sometimes Chilwell could be a bit more forward-thinking but sometimes the pass forward just isn't on and knocking it back to Soyuncu or in field to Choudhury/Maddison is the better option. 

Got far too many fans around me acting like they were when Puel was in charge and it's disturbing because I don't think there'll ever be satisfied with anything we do. 

There is something wrong though if you satisfied with losing games and your own player passing to the opposition 20 times in one half right?

Edited by Chrysalis

1 minute ago, Chrysalis said:

There is something wrong though if you satisfied with losing games and your own player passing to the opposition 20 times in one half right?

Who said I was satisfied with losing?! 

Was it 20 times? Seems excessive. 

All I'm saying is that everyone wants to go forward 100% of the time and that isn't always possible? Fans need to understand this. Is it better to keep the ball and work a good move to potentially turn in to a decent attack or is it better to cross in to a striker surrounded by 3 or 4 defenders and is unlikely to get on the end of it? 

Chilwell was poor yesterday don't get me wrong. But it's no reason to boo him or ironically cheer him when he got the ball yesterday ffs. Just because I don't agree with that doesn't mean I was satisfied with his game lol

• Like 4

There seems to be something not right with him atm. I really hope he can turn it around as it's great having the england left back playing for us and even better that he came through our system. The worry for me is that since chelsea had their transfer ban overturned, his form has plummeted alarmingly and not surprised if his head was turned. But I agree with the posters before, we should be able to criticise freely on here if it is constructive rather than abuse but never going to be great for him to hear the amount of stick he got yesterday and shouldn't really be jeering him while he is playing for us. 

Edited by North Leeds Fox
  • Like 2