Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Ben Chilwell

13 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Someone mentioned that in the tunnel can vids Chilwell seems more interested in seeing his mates on the other team... unfortunately he stuck out like a sore thumb in this weeks...

Couldn't wait to get out the dressing room to his Southampton bros, embarrassing. Wonder what his teammates think or is it the norm with Chilwell/Maddison types.

5 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Comments in the match thread and reactions on here digging out players have been frankly embarrassing.

Agreed - it wasn't a great performance, obviously, but it's a young side and things go wrong every now and then. Especially against a side so determined to redress the embarrassment of the 0-9. 

We're still having a great season. Look at the table. Look at the cups. The expectation of routine victory (not quite entitlement, but close to it) doesn't sit well.

We're a great club with, potentially, one of our best ever teams playing right now.

Young players need to feel they're not going to get slaughtered every time they drop off a bit. 

Get behind the lads!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

It seems to me some people have never liked Chilwell simply because he replaced Fuchs and are waiting for the slightest excuse to hammer him, no one ever comments on the times we are defending and Ricardo is no where to be seen as he hasn't got back yet, if that was Chilwell he'd be getting slaughtered for it.

Sorry, but that's a strange leap in logic. I don't think anyone thinks Fuchs should be anything other than a back-up player at this point in his career, similar to Wes. The simpler, and much more likely explanation is that people are hammering Chilwell because (whether you agree or disagree), it seems to them that Chilwell isn't putting in very good performances. It's really that simple.

No-one hated Ricardo for replacing Simpson. The reason being Ricardo has put in quality performances time and time again. Ricardo might also have poor performances on occasion, but he has earned himself a lot more lee-way as his bad days are few and far between,

I don't have strong views on Chilwell either way, but it's undeniable that recently his performances have been shocking. The only thing that's up for debate is whether he's a good player in poor form, or not.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

there were several passes he made yesterday I thought were the right ball only to look up and not see Barnes remotely close to where he should have been, the one that summed it up for me was after Kasper saved a ball out to the corner Chilwell played it right to where you would expect the winger to be but he'd sprinted to the half way line for some reason. Chilwell gets the blame for that but for me that'as on Barnes.

Chilwell had a poor game yesterday but no worse than many others and unlike Maddison, didn't appear to be shrinking or sulking like the latter once moved wide again.

Jeeriing a player has never worked so whats the point doing it?

It seems to me some people have never liked Chilwell simply because he replaced Fuchs and are waiting for the slightest excuse to hammer him, no one ever comments on the times we are defending and Ricardo is no where to be seen as he hasn't got back yet, if that was Chilwell he'd be getting slaughtered for it.

Jimmy, its not about liking and hating individual players but about capability, attitude and performances.  Sadly the end of your post, made the rest of it sound irrational.

15 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

Sorry, but that's a strange leap in logic. I don't think anyone thinks Fuchs should be anything other than a back-up player at this point in his career, similar to Wes. The simpler, and much more likely explanation is that people are hammering Chilwell because (whether you agree or disagree), it seems to them that Chilwell isn't putting in very good performances. It's really that simple.

No-one hated Ricardo for replacing Simpson. The reason being Ricardo has put in quality performances time and time again. Ricardo might also have poor performances on occasion, but he has earned himself a lot more lee-way as his bad days are few and far between,

I don't have strong views on Chilwell either way, but it's undeniable that recently his performances have been shocking. The only thing that's up for debate is whether he's a good player in poor form, or not.

Ricardo didn't replace Simpson, Amartey did, Ricardo was being played on the wing most of the time until Amartey broke his ankle, the consensus seemed to be Ricardo was a weak link defensively up to that point

Edited by Jimmy

3 hours ago, lcfcsnow said:

Couldn't wait to get out the dressing room to his Southampton bros, embarrassing. Wonder what his teammates think or is it the norm with Chilwell/Maddison types.

Comments like this are ridiculous and really sum up the personal nature that the criticism has taken. I bet you don’t mind him doing it after we win? Hardly like that’s affecting his performance or commitment to the club. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Posts like this bare amuse me. He had a piss poor game, no getting around that, but worst performance seen live? Assume he didn't follow us pre-2016. 

agreed sensationalist garbage. what a little cry baby George is. 

Even post 2016 I can think of loads of considerably worst performances. Bennoluane when we lost 6-1 to spurs, wasilewski away to porto in a 5-0 defeat, Mendy when we lost at home to southampton where he literally gave them 2 goals and got pulled off at half time(which was only last season). Wes Morgan when we got ripped apart by Bournemouth 4-2 and he capped his own horror show by getting sent off late on. I could go on and on.

Young players form will fluctuate more than a 28 year olds that is a fact and we as a fan base have to learn to show a bit of back bone and not start crying like entitled babies everytime one of our bright young stars has a couple of bad games. 

Edited by The whole world smiles
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

It is true that mistakes or off days are more forgivable if the player has been otherwise very good like Ricardo.  If Vardy misses a sitter for example, no one is going to crucify him because he has won us so many games before.

I think that Chilwell deserves some leeway also, for different reasons.  He is a young player, an academy product and someone tipped for stardom before he even broke into the team.  It won't happen, but I'd love to see him get a rousing reception next time out.  Not despite his poor form but because of it.  If he needs a lift we have the power to provide it, but I'm afraid that too many of us let our frustration get the better of us.  I wonder how the people that booed Nacho on as a sub feel now?  We never learn.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Even post 2016 I can think of loads of considerably worst performances. Bennoluane when we lost 6-1 to spurs, wasilewski away to porto in a 5-0 defeat, Mendy when we lost at home to southampton where he literally gave them 2 goals and got pulled off at half time(which was only last season). Wes Morgan when we got ripped apart by Bournemouth 4-2 and he capped his own horror show by getting sent off late on. I could go on and on.

Young players form will fluctuate more than a 28 year olds that is a fact and we as a fan base have to learn to show a bit of back bone and not start crying like entitled babies everytime one of our bright young stars has a couple of bad games. 

:appl:

31 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Like you, I'm  not a fan of people getting on the back of younger pros. And you're right in saying we've seen worse, or at very least equally substandard performances. I'd also maintain that Chilwell could become a top left back, though he has a lot of work still to do.

However, this isn't really a case of form fluctuating. He has been consistently poor of late, and there's a fair argument that he's been the weak link more often than not this campaign. If we want to finish top four that needs addressing either by the player or the guy who picks the team.

His display was so utterly awful yesterday that it had a huge impact on our game as a whole: Attack upon attack grinding to a halt, or turning into attacks for the opposition. Failing to track his man, failing to close down, failing to pick out simple ten yard passes... I honestly don't think you could say anything positive about him. And I'm struggling over the past few matches too. A team playing well can carry a man or two who are below par - but a performance as poor as that will impact negatively on everyone.

That's not to say that we'd have won the game or put in an admirable display in his absence because there are others in poor form, and it's clear that sides are wising up to our build-up play. But it's fair enough for people to be very critical of that performance. And if the criticism is a problem, the obvious solution is to look at alternatives until Chilwell can re-establish himself on merit.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Vacamion said:

I get that people are unimpressed with his recent performances, but when has booing, jeering and ironically cheering ever, ever made a player play better or try harder?

I call it tough love,

he’s got away with it practically all season because we’ve been winning,

he is the weakest link in the team and needs to leave is ego at home 

I’m really annoyed that Rodgers continues to pair him with Barnes. It very rarely bears any fruit and lately has been a real weakness for us. The weird thing for me is people talking Chilwell up as a future world class fullback. He can’t defend well either tactically or physically so I just don’t see why people believe this. I’m also at a loss to understand how nobody has ever forced him to work on his weak foot because it is frankly embarrassing how uncomfortable he seems to be on his right 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, inckley fox said:

Like you, I'm  not a fan of people getting on the back of younger pros. And you're right in saying we've seen worse, or at very least equally substandard performances. I'd also maintain that Chilwell could become a top left back, though he has a lot of work still to do.

However, this isn't really a case of form fluctuating. He has been consistently poor of late, and there's a fair argument that he's been the weak link more often than not this campaign. If we want to finish top four that needs addressing either by the player or the guy who picks the team.

His display was so utterly awful yesterday that it had a huge impact on our game as a whole: Attack upon attack grinding to a halt, or turning into attacks for the opposition. Failing to track his man, failing to close down, failing to pick out simple ten yard passes... I honestly don't think you could say anything positive about him. And I'm struggling over the past few matches too. A team playing well can carry a man or two who are below par - but a performance as poor as that will impact negatively on everyone.

That's not to say that we'd have won the game or put in an admirable display in his absence because there are others in poor form, and it's clear that sides are wising up to our build-up play. But it's fair enough for people to be very critical of that performance. And if the criticism is a problem, the obvious solution is to look at alternatives until Chilwell can re-establish himself on merit.

Young players shouldn't be exempt from criticism and I have no problem reading constructive measured posts like this. Just hate to see reactionary and sensationalist criticism with players who need time to grow as players.

I simply don't agree with you that he has been consistently poor of late. He's been a mainstay in a side with once of the best defensive records in the league and that sits in 2nd above man city and is a game away from Wembley.

I am sure if you added up and worked out his average foxestalk match ratings for the season they would be far from poor. But seeing as neither of us can be bothered to do this according to whoscored's stats based ratings (not perfefect I know but the best we have). He averages 7.02 a game and has our 5th best average rating.

I would say he's had about 5 poor games this season 6 indifferent games and 10 good performances which out of 21 which falls well within my fluctuating form theory.  I know he was poor yesterday and along with the rest of the team against Man city and Liverpool but he's an outstanding young full back who will be back flying again soon.

• Like 2

No one is exempt from criticism, so there were a few ironic cheer when he completed a pass, I wasn’t part of them but I heard them. However, if I worked for a company that relied on sales, and my sales tactic was losing sales and losing the company money I would require intervention to address my issues and improve. 

If the feedback was constantly you’re a talented young sales advisor well done keep it up, all of the time I would probably continue to lose sales and money, and have a detrimental effect on the operation of the company. If a customer was to say to me your sales tactic is poor, you need to work on it because your mistakes are starting to have a negative impact on the company, it may make me wake up and re-think what I’m doing.

If I was Ben, and I heard those jeers, at the next training session work my ass off on trying to correct the mistakes, and go out into the next game to prove them all wrong. It’s a cruel game sometimes that can chew you up and spit you out if you don’t pin your shoulders back and stick your chest out. 

The greatest of players have had periods of poor form, and he isn’t alone... Barnes, Tielemans and Gray is often guilty of it. Brendan is responsible for offering words of advice and picking them up, but the lads have got to and figure things out for themselves, take Kalechi for an example, it appeared that his time with us was over, yet he has fought his way back scoring goals and looking like a player reborn. We will come good again, and the players will pick themselves up, maybe a few new faces will help lift the dressing room but for now we have a week to look at what has been going wrong and work on what we’re good at.

• Like 3