Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Ben Chilwell

As much as I do like Chilwell, sadly, he has many flaws that will stop him from becoming one of the very best left backs in the world. He's almost a half - half in terms of a full back, neither exceptional at either defending nor attacking but not weak at either too. Until he improves on his right foot, can beat a man in a one on one situation and adds a nasty streak to his game then he will always be found wanting. 

36 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

As much as I do like Chilwell, sadly, he has many flaws that will stop him from becoming one of the very best left backs in the world. He's almost a half - half in terms of a full back, neither exceptional at either defending nor attacking but not weak at either too. Until he improves on his right foot, can beat a man in a one on one situation and adds a nasty streak to his game then he will always be found wanting. 

I like him as a player and think he's a bright future ahead of him. He's terrifically cowardly though. 

4 hours ago, The whole world smiles said:

Young players shouldn't be exempt from criticism and I have no problem reading constructive measured posts like this. Just hate to see reactionary and sensationalist criticism with players who need time to grow as players.

I simply don't agree with you that he has been consistently poor of late. He's been a mainstay in a side with once of the best defensive records in the league and that sits in 2nd above man city and is a game away from Wembley.

I am sure if you added up and worked out his average foxestalk match ratings for the season they would be far from poor. But seeing as neither of us can be bothered to do this according to whoscored's stats based ratings (not perfefect I know but the best we have). He averages 7.02 a game and has our 5th best average rating.

I would say he's had about 5 poor games this season 6 indifferent games and 10 good performances which out of 21 which falls well within my fluctuating form theory.  I know he was poor yesterday and along with the rest of the team against Man city and Liverpool but he's an outstanding young full back who will be back flying again soon.

I agree totally that some of the reaction has been out of proportion. People pay their money, get upset and go over the top. And I've read some complete rubbish about Chilwell on here not just today but for a few weeks - that he's hopeless, rubbish, cowardly, nowhere near fit for purpose - and that is obviously unfair. I don't dispute that he needs to man up a bit, impose himself on games more, be more positive, work on his limitations. But he's still got clear quality, and he's not the only poor performer of late.

It could be the intensity of our training, the failure to utilise the full squad or the extent to which sides have targeted our build-up play - I'm not sure - but he's part of a wider slump. He isn't the sole reason. And he's still got a lot of developing to do. In past eras we wet ourselves over anyone under the age of 26 who could kick a ball straight, so I see no reason to massacre Chilwell now.

That said, his performance yesterday really was abject. And I think you're being generous as regards his performances (and with respect to his ratings on Foxestalk, which I think would easily have him among our poorest regular starters. If not the worst.) I'm not sure he's had ten good performances this term, and even by your ranking he's been either poor or indifferent more often than he's been good. That makes him one of our weaker links. 

There's a lot of work for him to do. And in my view he's a way short of being an outstanding full back, as you've put it. In fact, I fully believe he needs a spell out of the side, and I totally get why some are saying that for 60/70m we'd be wise to cash in (even if I disagree on that point). But for my part I'd like us to keep our side together, work on our weaknesses, and keep the criticism balanced.

9 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Deserves to be benched on recent form but maybe there’s a reticence to do so in case that affects his value in the summer 

I know it will be affected if he continues his present form too but perhaps it’s hoped that it will improve 

That's a good point. Is it a case of cash in, persist, or see his value recede?

• Like 1

Just now, lgfualol said:

Cant remember you posting how shit he was during all those wins and clean sheets. #fickle

Didn’t know you checked my posts,

maybe you should get out more,

or try looking at my posts on him for the last 12 months where at his best he was bang average,

I think chillwell is shit,

and Said the same last season as well,

but if you rate him then good for you,

it’s a forum I’m entitled to argue my case

which the majority seem to think the same

12 minutes ago, Russell sprout said:

Didn’t know you checked my posts,

maybe you should get out more,

or try looking at my posts on him for the last 12 months where at his best he was bang average,

I think chillwell is shit,

and Said the same last season as well,

but if you rate him then good for you,

it’s a forum I’m entitled to argue my case

which the majority seem to think the same

Fair enough. I just would have remembered the random "Chilwell is ****ing shit" comment while everyone was happy and we were flying with him in the side doing bits. We start losing games and everyone loses their heads.

The majority will think he is in the top 5 LBs in the league when he gets some form back. Looking forward to it.

Edited by lgfualol
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, majaco said:

I was appalled at the way Chilwell was treated by our fans yesterday.

You could see his confidence drain  the first time he made an error.

He did not have a good game but he is our player.  We should be behind him.  He is talented; he is the England left back who came through our academy.

I trust Rodgers to deal with this.  The necessary man-management is undermined by our own  fans.

Fans should be supporters too particularly of a team that has done so well this season.

I don't jeer players myself but this is the same everywhere. It's part of the game, especially the higher up you go. His performances of late, and especially yesterday, aren't going to endear him to any set of fans. As a manager, Rodgers will hope firstly that he improves. Beyond that he drops him or moves him on. It's a fact of life. And Chilwell isn't the only one that applies to at the moment.

Griping over fans who slate dire performances, on the other hand, isn't any sort of serious solution in terms of a way forward. Unfair or not, it's an inevitability. And to be frank, if any performance deserves a slating, it's that one - so long as people don't go over the top. Hopefully Chilwell, as a player with a lot more ability than you'd believe from reading Foxestalk, will learn from it. If he doesn't, then regardless of where he plays the next few years of his football, he'll find that people don't get a great deal more forgiving than this if your standards slip so severely.

Guest An Sionnach

Some of our players need to man-up, its gonna be tough now to the end of the season. If the opposition think we are an easy touch physically or mentally , they will screw us. We have the football but we need the attitude as well . Chilwell has got to show he will fight to the last for this team but because I know men like Fuchs and Albrighton will . If he can't do that then he is no good to us.

Edited by An Sionnach

3 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Oh no he hasn't....

Top debating mate you should be in Westminster or at least panto.

You must be watching another team pal and not Leicester, Ben Chilwell has been poor for a few games now, yesterday he gave the ball away 20 times and that`s just in the first half.... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, W88DY said:

You must be watching another team pal and not Leicester, Ben Chilwell has been poor for a few games now, yesterday he gave the ball away 20 times and that`s just in the first half.... 

I'm not arguing that he wasn't poor yesterday just arguing that he's not consistently poor.

Which I really shouldn't have to argue considering we have won a whopping 14 of the 21 games he's started this season and kept 7 clean sheets.

1 hour ago, majaco said:

I was appalled at the way Chilwell was treated by our fans yesterday.

You could see his confidence drain  the first time he made an error.

He did not have a good game but he is our player.  We should be behind him.  He is talented; he is the England left back who came through our academy.

I trust Rodgers to deal with this.  The necessary man-management is undermined by our own  fans.

Fans should be supporters too particularly of a team that has done so well this season.

2 sides to a coin, I agree with both sides. He needs to understand, poor performances are not acceptable, and vice versa, fans need not get on his back.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

My main frustration with him, which imagine is shared by a few fans who perhaps boil over into making sell him now kind of statements is he seems undroppable. He’s not performing, Fuchs is doing a decent job when he gets his chance and we are persisting with Chillwell as he’s the future and Fuchs is in his twilight years.

Its got to the stage now where he needs to be shown performance is key in keeping your place, and if there’s a better option they’ll get the nod ahead of you whether you need minutes on the pitch to develop or not. 

Ive no doubt he can come good but in the immediate future he could do with a few games being reminded a place in our side needs to be earned.

Seeing Brendan drop Tielemans I think chillwell will be next if he doesn’t show a massive improvement next game. All smiles before and after a game does not mask a poor performance. He needs to take the criticism on the chin and accept the only way to change the perception is to start working harder on his A game. Of course we support our players but we’re entitled to let them know when they haven’t been good enough. They are men.

Guest An Sionnach
2 hours ago, adejo92 said:

Frustrating. You just know that if he went Man City, under Pep, he'd be the best LB in the league, if not Europe. 

Not sure at the minute if its a lack of confidence or ability but he's and evident weekness. 

Pep would never tolerate his technical problems. Even in top form they can be exposed as he has found out with Stones.