Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Ben Chilwell

10 hours ago, knitro said:

I don't think confidence is Chilwell's problem, if anything a humbling might force him to tidy his play up. 

It makes sense to me that he'd like to try and move on elsewhere. He's been at Leicester City since childhood - who wouldn't want to spread their wings? Wouldn't or  you feel ready for the next thing after ~ten years in the same place? The grass may or may not be greener but I imagine he wants to raise his wages and challenge himself elsewhere. Could see him leaving in the summer for a good fee and that'll be that. 

Or maybe he loves the club, because he been here a long time, you can frame it both ways.

10 hours ago, knitro said:

I also think there's a lot of you overvaluing the influence the fans have on these players. It's not a zero value but it's a bit narcissistic to assume boos can really shake these guys. 

It’s not narcissism, it’s empathy. You go into work, everyone abuses you verbally. Day after day. Feel good?

• Like 1

On 13/01/2020 at 12:44, Swan Lesta said:

Anybody seen this Mercury link by Jamie Kimble? It’s just a load of quotes from FT - quality journalism.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/leicester-city-transfer-news-chilwell-3732842.amp

@Ric Flair

Seems like a regular thing for him...

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/these-bully-us-what-leicester-3737942

17 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Quality wing back who is off form and being periodically played out of position.

Another great young player who I’d hate to see us sell.

Played out of position?

Near enough every game he's played it's been left back which is clearly his best position?

• Like 2

Thoughts on Chilwell?

Daniel asks (and there are a few people who have brought this topic up):

There is a vociferous group on Twitter who want Ben Chilwell dropped. The moans were audible on Saturday. I think he is off form but quality. What are your thoughts?

Firstly, I think he’s out of form, like a few players at the moment. Chilwell was subjected to groans from the crowd against both Villa and Southampton.

I thought the criticism was harsh after Villa – I think his problems in that game stemmed the formation. He only passed so negatively because he didn’t have anybody in front of him, and, unlike Ricardo, he does not excel at dribbling in tight areas. He needs space to run into.

Against Southampton, he was very poor. He played aimless balls and could not pull off even simple passes.

I agree that he is quality. His defensive abilities have improved greatly, while he carries the ball terrifically. I think his crossing can still get better, but he does pick up a fair amount of assists (he got a hat-trick of assists for England not too long ago). And he has only just turned 23, so is probably four years from his peak.

As for whether he will be dropped, I think Rodgers has shown with Tielemans that he is not afraid to be ruthless with key players, and he has two men he can turn to in Fuchs and Justin.

But Rodgers may attribute Chilwell’s poor form to tiredness, and with City finally getting a full week between games, he may feel he is fine to play against Burnley. If he doesn’t pick up his form though, he may be left out for West Ham in midweek.

I wouldn’t be against Chilwell being given a break. Justin has done well whenever he’s played.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/leicester-city-transfer-qa-live-3737395

Quite a reasonable assessment i think. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Slab Edd said:

Look at this thread we're defending a player that can't even defend on his own

Diabate,Ghezzal etc were turned on by their own fans and they actually showed some promise ffs

And fans that turned on Ghezzal, (I take it you mean the booing) were also condemned by most on here. 

You can't seriously be suggesting that Diabate and Ghezzal showed more promise than Chilwell?  

• Like 1

IMHO, what we're seeing now, is Chilwell's limitations as a footballer, compared to other people in the team, that can and is being exploited by the opposition.  That above article talks about dribbling in tight areas, but I think it's even more fundamental than that - he's not quick enough in thought as a footballer to even make the simplest passes fast enough to beat a press, unlike others in the team.  If he's not given space, he cannot make it for himself, nor allow others to do so by his actions - the very most he can do is try and dribble somewhere up or across the pitch, maybe.

Against teams that press, IMO: we have two choices - either we play him a LOT further up the pitch, or don't play him at all, for all he will do is act as a roadblock on the left side of the pitch, until we finally manage to get far enough up that he can get some room, at which point, why is he playing as a back (full or wing) in the first place?  This isn't about form IMO, if he had enough space and time, I think he'd play a lot better, it's about how he plays in reaction to the opposition pressing him.

So the main question here, is how much can he improve in his quickness of play to deal with this, like Ricardo etc. can and does.

Edited by PhillippaT
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, knitro said:

I don't think confidence is Chilwell's problem, if anything a humbling might force him to tidy his play up. 

It makes sense to me that he'd like to try and move on elsewhere. He's been at Leicester City since childhood - who wouldn't want to spread their wings? Wouldn't or  you feel ready for the next thing after ~ten years in the same place? The grass may or may not be greener but I imagine he wants to raise his wages and challenge himself elsewhere. Could see him leaving in the summer for a good fee and that'll be that. 

I have been critical of Chilwell but I question the point in your second paragraph. I would have thought it should exactly be that he is an academy product that would (should anyway) make him more loyal and more important about setting the right culture at the club. It may or may not be Chilwell, but it is players like him that come through the system that would be critical in creating the sort of team spirit we need to excel. Otherwise, as I said on another topic, we would just have a bunch of expensive mercenaries who whinge and whine the moment things do not go their way. Vardy did not come through the system, but he is almost like home grown - thank god he does not think like the way you describe and is still here, setting the right cultural tone at the club and that never quit attitude. Then there are also players like Fuchs, Morgan, Albrighton, Kasper who seem to think the same way. For those who do not, they are ultimately going to be disruptive in the dressing room and we are better off with them gone. We talked about this in other threads - look at Man Utd - they destroyed their unique culture at the club with the chop and change since the Sir Alex days and look at the mess they have been in; compared that to the Sir Alex days when he always had a core group of players who came through the system to help lead the culture there - from the Nevilles (who were just average players), to Beckham, to Giggs, Scholes, etc.  Culture is important. 

In a way, back on Chilwell, if he cannot stand the slightest of criticism (particularly given he is an academy product, he has been in the team as first option for a few years now and he gets paid a LOT of money) after playing badly for some time and calls quits at the first opportunity, maybe he is not the right sort of characters we want at this club anyway. We need players who self reflect and not precious and who put the club first.  We need players like Vardy who cross boundaries and adversities. We need players like Beckham who overcome being hated by fans over his red card and bounce back. In many ways, Rodgers is the one who needs to guide Chilwell. To be honest, a time on the bench is really called for - not because of the fans but because of his performance. In a way, if Rodgers acted and brought in Fuchs who has been brilliant every time he came in this season and let Chilwell sit for a while, fans would not have reacted that way. Granted, we need to trust Rodgers but fans are entitled to express an opinion. Though - if Chilwell does get drop (if ever) then we should all get behind the bloke and support him.

Edited by Tom12345

11 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

It’s not narcissism, it’s empathy. You go into work, everyone abuses you verbally. Day after day. Feel good?

I get your point and agree to an extent.

However, if I go to work and repeatedly turn in lacklustre, often apathetic, performances then I do leave myself open to criticism. He shouldn't be immune; he looks like he either can't be arsed or is scared.

I do get what you said earlier about him being called a c u next tuesday regularly, that's bang out of order, however I can't feel too bad about people telling him to pull his finger out of his arse whilst he's stood around looking like it is up there. I also think, in Chilwell's case, that criticism will have an impact on him and might serve a role.

And like people have pointed out : he plays like couldn't give a toss but is all smiles and eager to have some mad bantz with the lads. That gets up some folks' noses, not mine particularly, but I can understand why it pisses them off. Even if we know, deep down, players don't really care about the club we like the illusion because we love it. The players are recompensed enough that they should, at very least, present the image that they give a toss. Chilwell is a nice lad and clearly popular - he could help himself by networking away from the view of already frustrated fans. 

Also, and on a side note, that intro to the light show is so hideous that when it comes on I wince. Get. In. The. Bin.

• Like 1

He's quite a bit away from from being a 'quality' wing-back.

He's clearly got potential, but he's quite a way off from this term really; as he often makes simple mistakes in passing and his crossing is often poor, for example.

Compare him with Ricardo on the other side, and you see what I mean.

Edited by Wymsey

Guest An Sionnach
15 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

This thread shows me that we have a percentage fans who will turn on one or more of our own players the moment they don't get metaphorical sweeties shoved in their mouths. In other words, no instant gratification leads to the opposite of support. 

The independent ratings he gets say it loud and clear , he is way out of form . So the decision is Rodgers . Ignore them and risk anger being turned on himself or like Youri , bench him for a while.

By the way, saw this video.

Goes to show how very good Trent Alexander-Arnold is and how much better he is compared to Chilwell in attack.

And how crap Chilwell is in defense. Beaten at the backpost and conceded a goal. Did not close down enough to prevent crosses. Did not close down enough and let another shot from Trent go under and around Chilwell’s body for a second goal. All in just one game (in a video where he is not even the focus but still got caught out so many times).

And also this: 

Ok. Don’t want to add to the criticism to make it over the top - so do support him but Chilwell please get better (and let Fuchs play for a while and come back better).

Edited by Tom12345

Just now, An Sionnach said:

The independent ratings he gets say it loud and clear , he is way out of form . So the decision is Rodgers . Ignore them and risk anger being turned on himself or like Youri , bench him for a while.

Well OK, that's a valid opinion, but entirely ignores the point I was making! 

20 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

I get your point and agree to an extent.

However, if I go to work and repeatedly turn in lacklustre, often apathetic, performances then I do leave myself open to criticism. He shouldn't be immune; he looks like he either can't be arsed or is scared.

I do get what you said earlier about him being called a c u next tuesday regularly, that's bang out of order, however I can't feel too bad about people telling him to pull his finger out of his arse whilst he's stood around looking like it is up there. I also think, in Chilwell's case, that criticism will have an impact on him and might serve a role.

And like people have pointed out : he plays like couldn't give a toss but is all smiles and eager to have some mad bantz with the lads. That gets up some folks' noses, not mine particularly, but I can understand why it pisses them off. Even if we know, deep down, players don't really care about the club we like the illusion because we love it. The players are recompensed enough that they should, at very least, present the image that they give a toss. Chilwell is a nice lad and clearly popular - he could help himself by networking away from the view of already frustrated fans. 

Also, and on a side note, that intro to the light show is so hideous that when it comes on I wince. Get. In. The. Bin.

Nicely put. I get what people are saying, he doesn’t look or perform like he has been doing when performing at a higher level (He has before, so we know he can do it)

Will stop trying to make excuses for him, and just say that I hope he and the management team can return back to his earlier, better performances.

Once thing I will say is that in recent games, the intense pressing on show from our opponents has made many look out of sorts, this is also something we need to manage because it seemed to me that when we are aggressively pressed early in the game - we never seem to quite regain our composure.

Also, that side note of the lights - BIN. Waste of time, dilutes of atmosphere.

Edited by Dahnsouff

22 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

This thread shows me that we have a percentage of people  fans who will turn on one or more of our own players each other the moment they don't get metaphorical sweeties shoved in their mouths. In other words, no instant gratification leads to the opposite of support. good behaviour.

Agree, just wanted to broaden the observation a bit. :thumbup: