Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
MPH

How would you improve the team in January?

31 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Undeniably true - just posing the question that to stay up there we may need to spend differently to previous approaches.

i’m hoping the blueprint they are talking about is one of  a deep assessment of their character and the idea that established internationals in their prime ( (26-30) are super expensive and, on occasions just have the wrong attitude.  I do agree though the days of us buying a gem from non league or the french lique 2 need to be over. they have to be able to make an instant impact.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

And that's the way it should be done. Congerton has a past reputation for buying bad signings, whereas our process has cranked out more "hits" than probably any other club bar maybe Liverpool in the country. Stick to the process and use Congerton to recommend players that can go into the analysis team for review. To be fair he supposedly recommended James Justin who looks like a good prospect.

It also doesn't rule out a big money or exotic signing. This time last year, most people (myself included) were laughing off the Tielemans interest, and yet 12 months later he's still here! And we are in a much stronger position to sign players now than arguably any other time in our history due to the way we play and new training ground.

Yup, the general gist of the article is this:

"It is a system that has served City well and while there may have been changes in personnel since the programme was set up in 2009, the principles and processes put in place by its former head Steve Walsh remain largely the same."

Same as the way the rest of the club is run really - Rodgers and co had to come in and fit into what was already here, rather than tearing everything up. 

Congerton's reputation for bad signings came from when he was at Sunderland and Celtic - two clubs that, whatever their history or stature, find themselves in extremely unappealing leagues, are poorly run behind the scenes and don't have anywhere near the budget needed to bring in great players. He had to work with what he'd got.

Here, he has the budget, the appeal of hopefully Champions League football, a very successful recruitment strategy at his feet and an extremely ambitious club. He has the freedom here to do what he couldn't do elsewhere. I think he could be a big success.

I really hope I'm right.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gerard said:

According to this article Atletico want their money back. Good luck with that for a player they're actively seeking to offload and who has been a failure since arriving. I'm sure we'd love to get our money back on Slimani but prices are driven by demand. 

Lyon are the only club with a link as far as we know and if that's the level of club interested then they'll have to lower their price or keep him. 

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2019/lyon-determined-to-get-straight-answer-from-thomas-lemar-president-aulas-downplays-it-all/

Think that Liverpool were in for him but were out bid by AM. If they are in for him again then we've got no chance.

Liverpool will get him just based on rep. Minamina 7.5mil :frusty:

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

Yup, the general gist of the article is this:

"It is a system that has served City well and while there may have been changes in personnel since the programme was set up in 2009, the principles and processes put in place by its former head Steve Walsh remain largely the same."

Same as the way the rest of the club is run really - Rodgers and co had to come in and fit into what was already here, rather than tearing everything up. 

Congerton's reputation for bad signings came from when he was at Sunderland and Celtic - two clubs that, whatever their history or stature, find themselves in extremely unappealing leagues, are poorly run behind the scenes and don't have anywhere near the budget needed to bring in great players. He had to work with what he'd got.

Here, he has the budget, the appeal of hopefully Champions League football, a very successful recruitment strategy at his feet and an extremely ambitious club. He has the freedom here to do what he couldn't do elsewhere. I think he could be a big success.

I really hope I'm right.

That's rubbish tbh, maybe accurate in Sunderland's case but most definitely not Celtic.  We may have less spending power but everything is relative.  We have a great record of identifying players, buying for peanuts and selling on for vast profits over the last decade (Dembele, Van Dijk, Tierney, Forster, Wanyama, I could go on and on).  The only time that came unstuck was the couple of years Congerton was at the helm.  To say we can't bring in "great players" really is laughable given a player we brought in five years ago is now the best centre back in world football and came second in the latest ballon d'or rankings behind arguably the greatest player of all time.

The problem at Celtic was giving Congerton too much freedom with regards recruitment so I'd be careful what you wish for in that regard.

As others on this thread have said, as long as Congerton acts like a glorified scout and identifies players and no more and feeds those into your already successful model then he shouldn't be too disruptive.

Edited by henrik_62
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TommyK said:

He didn't cost 80million

I’d argue Zaha is not a waste of money, he can turn a game on its head when he wants to, and in our side he would be utterly devastating. Options are limited when it comes to January, he would only end up at a Chelsea or Spurs and improve them. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I’d argue Zaha is not a waste of money, he can turn a game on its head when he wants to, and in our side he would be utterly devastating. Options are limited when it comes to January, he would only end up at a Chelsea or Spurs and improve them. 

Question is, does he fit our model? While I agree he could be great for us I'm not sure if the club would go for him. He's 27 and wouldn't have much resale value. His attitude might be questioned too.

I'm not against signing him (anyone but Andros Townsend) but would like us to find another gem on the continent.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Question is, does he fit our model? While I agree he could be great for us I'm not sure if the club would go for him. He's 27 and wouldn't have much resale value. His attitude might be questioned too.

I'm not against signing him (anyone but Andros Townsend) but would like us to find another gem on the continent.

I don't think his attitude can be questioned. Being open about wanting a move is fine if you knuckle down and put in effort for the team when you don't get it, which he has done.

Whilst he doesn't have much resale value, I'd argue that going for a 27 year old guarantees that he should stay here for a while - this is kind of his last chance for a big move, and we could get 4 years or more out of a player of his quality, which is nice as it guarantees a bit of consistency in a team full of young talents that we'd have to fight from leaving every year basically. 

Also, Perez didn't really fit our model but we still bought him.

The problem is that it is a lot of money in one player, and there's no guarantee that he'd leave his current defensive system and flourish when the "shackles are released". Then again, it's also very plausible that he does become a 10+ G+A season player here. I definitely think he's underrated by many on this site on account of him basically being triple teamed by every team that plays Palace because nobody needs to mark Ayew or Benteke. 

I wouldn't be upset if we spent 70 million pounds or so on him, but I'd probably be happier if we signed a european talent like Malcom for significantly less.

6 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

Easy......

Mahrez Maddy Grealish

Vardy 

I recognise that this is tongue in cheek, but whilst Grealish could be a good signing to replace the creative presence of Maddison, I think we'd have the same problems of playing Maddison left wing if we stuck him there.

Watched Grealish yesterday and he was by far the best player on the pitch, I think Villa are going down so why not make a bid in January or dangle a couple of players for a trade in with £35/£40 million as well...

• Like 4