Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
MPH

How would you improve the team in January?

Recommended Posts

51 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Is he on the decline?

 

5 goals in six CL games this season, two against Liverpool in a draw and a win? 

16 goals in 35 Serie A last season, not as good this season but Napoli have been poor in the league in general, nut still 4 goals and 2 assists in 16 games. 

 

If he's available at 8 million as rumored its not really high risk.

 

To be fair, I'd be surprised if we had a chance to sign him 

 

Is it not possible Napoli are not doing so well in the league because certain players are declining?

Also when we sign a striker I’d like one that can develop into the next Jamie Vardy (impossible I know), not someone who is likely to fade at the same time as him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Is it not possible Napoli are not doing so well in the league because certain players are declining?

Also when we sign a striker I’d like one that can develop into the next Jamie Vardy (impossible I know), not someone who is likely to fade at the same time as him.

Of course its possible, but then were Kasper and Vardy on the decline because we did poorly under Puel and Shakespeare?

 

Sometimes recruitment is about the here and now and the future, for example like last summers CB recruitment Evans (now), benkovic, Soyuncu (Future) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Of course its possible, but then were Kasper and Vardy on the decline because we did poorly under Puel and Shakespeare?

 

Sometimes recruitment is about the here and now and the future, for example like last summers CB recruitment Evans (now), benkovic, Soyuncu (Future) 

Vardy is on the decline and has been for a while, his game has adapted quite considerably as age goes on. He has been able to achieve better stats due to an intelligent manager that has removed the inefficiencies from his game.

I don’t think we need Mertens in the here and now.

Edited by Strokes
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Vardy is on the decline and has been for a while, his game has adapted quite considerably as age goes on. He has been able to achieve better stats due to an intelligent manager that has removed the inefficiencies from his game.

I don’t think we need him in the here and now.

Are you on drugs!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Strokes said:

Vardy is on the decline and has been for a while, his game has adapted quite considerably as age goes on. He has been able to achieve better stats due to an intelligent manager that has removed the inefficiencies from his game.

I don’t think we need him in the here and now.

I think decline is the wrong word to use. Rodgers has made no secret of the fact he's adapted his game to manage his energy more efficiently. I'd wager that if he was asked to play a similar game to 2015/16 then we'd all be saying "he's losing it."

 

He spends less energy chasing down lost causes, and focuses his movement more on finding space inside the box, he has become a more "traditional" striker in the last year. 

 

That is testiment to both the management and the player. He's a completely different animal to back then and the fact that he's been top class on both occasions shows how professional he is.

 

Edit: I suppose I agree with you on the whole, just worded it differently lol

Edited by wardyfox86
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Strokes said:

Vardy is on the decline and has been for a while, his game has adapted quite considerably as age goes on. He has been able to achieve better stats due to an intelligent manager that has removed the inefficiencies from his game.

I don’t think we need him in the here and now.

Define "decline".

 

I'm not sure it's that clear-cut in Vardy's case. As others have mentioned, he didn't start playing proper pro football until he was 27. By that time, most strikers in the top divisions already have seven, eight years behind them at fast pace, their bodies more degraded due to constant challenges from defenders.

As an attacker, you're lucky to spend ten years in a top division. Most fade after seven or eight years on the trot. Because they can no longer cope.

 

Vardy's pro career is somewhere at the mid-point, maybe slightly past it. We'll have some more fun with him in the near future. And we ought to cherish that time.

 

He's also so wily, positions himself cleverly on the pitch and has this odd metabolism. I'm sure he's working out daily, but he already comes with this slender physique. Good genes, I suppose. All in all, a great combo and one that will carry him the distance. He's a marathon runner in a sport that is so keen on sprinters, if you get my allegory.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, wardyfox86 said:

I think decline is the wrong word to use. Rodgers has made no secret of the fact he's adapted his game to manage his energy more efficiently. I'd wager that if he was asked to play a similar game to 2015/16 then we'd all be saying "he's losing it."

 

He spends less energy chasing down lost causes, and focuses his movement more on finding space inside the box, he has become a more "traditional" striker in the last year. 

 

That is testiment to both the management and the player. He's a completely different animal to back then and the fact that he's been top class on both occasions shows how professional he is.

 

Edit: I suppose I agree with you on the whole, just worded it differently lol

Ha, yeah that’s pretty much what I’m getting at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MC Prussian said:

Define "decline".

 

I'm not sure it's that clear-cut in Vardy's case. As others have mentioned, he didn't start playing proper pro football until he was 27. By that time, most strikers in the top divisions already have seven, eight years behind them at fast pace, their bodies more degraded due to constant challenges from defenders.

As an attacker, you're lucky to spend ten years in a top division. Most fade after seven or eight years on the trot. Because they can no longer cope.

 

Vardy's pro career is somewhere at the mid-point, maybe slightly past it. We'll have some more fun with him in the near future. And we ought to cherish that time.

 

He's also so wily, positions himself cleverly on the pitch and has this odd metabolism. I'm sure he's working out daily, but he already comes with this slender physique. Good genes, I suppose. All in all, a great combo and one that will carry him the distance. He's a marathon runner in a sport that is so keen on sprinters, if you get my allegory.

 

Previously we used Vardy in a way he cannot be used now, as physically it would be to his detriment. His stats haven’t declined, they’ve improved, largely due to a smarter game plan/tactics with Vardy being incredibly adaptable and determined. I’m not taking anything away from Vardy, quite the opposite, it’s incredible he can play the way he does at this age (some of that might be due to not playing professionally until 25 like you say). To think he isn’t being managed in a protective way due to age related fatigue would be beyond naive in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Previously we used Vardy in a way he cannot be used now, as physically it would be to his detriment. His stats haven’t declined, they’ve improved, largely due to a smarter game plan/tactics with Vardy being incredibly adaptable and determined. I’m not taking anything away from Vardy, quite the opposite, it’s incredible he can play the way he does at this age (some of that might be due to not playing professionally until 25 like you say). To think he isn’t being managed in a protective way due to age related fatigue would be beyond naive in my opinion.

Maybe it's down to the fact that he's useless or rather wasted as a winger. And kudos to Pearson for correcting that mistake.

 

I'm sure as a key player, Vardy gest some extra consideration in the treatment room during the week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Maybe it's down to the fact that he's useless or rather wasted as a winger. And kudos to Pearson for correcting that mistake.

 

I'm sure as a key player, Vardy gest some extra consideration in the treatment room during the week.

I wasn’t really getting at him being used on the wing, more what he is being asked to do on the pitch.

Its much more streamlined and disciplined in his pressing now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Strokes said:

Is it not possible Napoli are not doing so well in the league because certain players are declining?

Also when we sign a striker I’d like one that can develop into the next Jamie Vardy (impossible I know), not someone who is likely to fade at the same time as him.

Napoli are not in decline because of ageing players. Biggest issue in the last 18 months has been Ancelotti's insistence on adopting a 4-4-2 fast paced English style to a very tactical Serie A. It ain't worked and Mertens isn't the only player to have regressed under Carlo. Shame because everyone had high hopes with his appointment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Gerard said:

 

I don't want to see us splashing out huge money for players in their late 20's who have already reached their level. The odd 30 something is fine but I like the model of buying a young player with potential to be better than what we could normally attract.

 

As a club I would prefer it that we are savvy enough to know we can't buy ready made players and compete with the elite clubs but if we buy well and nurture young talent we may have a chance. 

Squad needs balance, mix the right amount of experience with youth.

 

So you think the following players were bad buys?

 

Evans

Fuchs

Huth

Simpson

Cambiasso

Ulloa

Ricardo (brought mid 20s now 26)

 

Young players need to be built up to their prime, and when they get there, they get ambitious, heads get turned , poached etc., and they also weaker mentally, but they are great for the finances as they have nice resale value.  I didnt say anything about paying huge fees, the first 5 players I listed had no fee or a modest fee only.  I also never said we should "only" buy older players.  I just suggested our current balance is wrong and would like to see the "next" player be of that age bracket..

 

Note how we still have Vardy, and Fuchs their age kept the vultures away.  Fuchs was rated very highly if he was 5 years younger he probably would have got poached, same with Vardy.

Edited by Chrysalis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yet you said you dont want us signing players for huge money when I never said we should.

 

Quote

A straw man is a form of argument and an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent.

 

My examples were clearly to point out that you can sign players in their mid to late 20s who were value for money and also to point out they were all players who offered something positive to the team.  It would seem you just argued with me for the sake of it as you not only once did a straw man argument yourself in your first reply, you then repeated what I replied to you that they were good value for money.  

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Ferran Torres is being pursued very heavily by us for next month apparently.

 

The Ferran Torres linked to a 100m move to Real Madrid? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

 

The Ferran Torres linked to a 100m move to Real Madrid? 

Contract up in 18 months, will go for £35m 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not sure who, but we need 3 or 4 more signings. 2 wingers, a cb and another striker. I’d like another creative cm too as Tielemans has been poor for a while now and should be rested for a few weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So... New wingers, a more consistent midfield playmaker to replace tielemans until he remembers how to play and a new forward to help Vards out. Don't think we'd get much change out of 200million for the quality we need ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes a couple of real quality (£30 million +) wingers and another centre half.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tanner just said the club is "looking for a winger" but wouldn't confirm if it's Jan or a Summer push.

 

Good to know they see what we see. Our current crop is not good enough if we want to Be a Champions league club

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Tanya said:

Tanner just said the club is "looking for a winger" but wouldn't confirm if it's Jan or a Summer push.

 

Good to know they see what we see. Our current crop is not good enough if we want to Be a Champions league club

Its Ferran Torres

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...