Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Are We Better than Our 15/16 Season?

3 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Your pick…!  I think they’ve both improved…. I hate the fact that Vardy has to get older 

Schmeichel (19/20)

Ricardo    Huth   Soyuncu  Fuchs (15/16)

Kante    Ndidi

Mahrez    Tielemans Maddison

Vardy (15/16 or 19/20)

2 minutes ago, Silva Fox said:

Schmeichel (19/20)

Kante    Ndidi

Vardy (15/16 or 19/20)

Nah…. Pick a Vardy mate…. Or maybe double Vardy up front?

2 holding mids and Maddison on the wing …. These have options have never been criticised  recently :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Nah…. Pick a Vardy mate…. Or maybe double Vardy up front?

2 holding mids and Maddison on the wing …. These have options have never been criticised  recently :rolleyes:

Difficult choice of Vardys - having both would be awesome but a bit weird so I'll go with 15/16 (just). As for the 2 holding mids I went with quality rather than formation but couldn't agree more that Madders shouldn't be on the wing. I'd probably go Albrighton (15/16) over Barnes at present but I think the latter will end up the better player for sure.

3 hours ago, Matt said:

Just appreciate both for what they were and are.

I understand the question and why people want to pose it but we were frightening then and the current team and future id s exciting - these players have to buy into our future though.

Both should be appreciated of course, what the 15/16 squad did was unthinkable (and what they did before that season too)

But this squad is levels above in terms of overall quality, man for man 19/20 squad is much better than 15/16

15/16 now seems like the pinnacle of our re-emergence from League One. 

The team of journeymen parts taken from here, there and everywhere that was the perfect storm as a collectice unit of spirit and will. 

Culminating in the greatest fairytale ending and a bittersweet epilogue.

Book 1 in the King Power timeline. 

I couldn't tell you when book 2 started, if I was a novelist, it'd probably start on paper a year ago, with Vichai's passing as some form of Shakespearean opening, which isn't the first time for us. 

But the boundless potential of these next few chapters in our clubs history is honestly hype inducing and dream worthy. We've seen the potential and talent of these young, hungry players who are all learning and growing up together, under a still wonderfully owned and ran club, who are the envy of others  accross the nation in our structure and our principles. The older guard of 15/16 still in place to pass on the wisdom and experience as well as making sure the next generation will understand and keep up the culture fostered throughout years of never letting standards drop. 

The backroom staff podcast from the head of innovation gave a wonderful insight into how the hardworking and professional attitude has been exemplary inputted into the club ethos as a whole.

We now also have a forward-thinking, ambitious manager who's ability to make players better by understanding a players game and seeing the parts that a player needs to work on to improve their all round ability.

And the most frightening thing of all with this side is that the majority of these lads are just 22.

Maddison, Chilwell, Tielemans, Ndidi, Barnes, Choudhury and Soyuncu is only just 23.

Someone once said "You can't win anything with a bunch of kids" and then a bunch of kids went and won a load of stuff as they played and grew together. This lot our our bunch of kids that could win a stuff together, given the chance they see that and choose to stick together. 

So despite actually reality and facts again of being 3rd, having one of the best attacks, defenses and style play, purely because we are Leicester City we've managed to still retain our underdog, can't happen status again, which to be fair, I don't mind being totally underestimated again in the long run though some pundits have recognised the facts and have seen good we our for themselves and not just espousing the national media line of what Leicester should be.

This is why the constant news of ripping this side to shreads before it's even had the chance to blossom.

Constant talk of the players I've already mentioned earlier being bought by other clubs as well as the ones I haven't even mentioned which now, even includes our manager who is now being highly sought after by our current direct rivals and teams we're aiming to supplant and surpass. 

Call a spade a spade but if you're scoring like a top 6 club, defending like a top 6 club, have the points that put you in the top 6, are being managed and ran by people who have aspirations to be a permanent top 6 club, building a training ground worthy of being a top 6 club and have players who are the envy of top 6 clubs. I think we might need to process in our minds somehow... We could be a top 6 club... 

Apologies for the ramble brought on by flu and Benylin.

Goodnight. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Silva Fox said:

Difficult choice of Vardys - having both would be awesome but a bit weird so I'll go with 15/16 (just). As for the 2 holding mids I went with quality rather than formation but couldn't agree more that Madders shouldn't be on the wing. I'd probably go Albrighton (15/16) over Barnes at present but I think the latter will end up the better player for sure.

Going retro - safe choice, but, I respect it :yesyes:

2 hours ago, Silva Fox said:

Schmeichel (19/20)

Kante    Ndidi

Vardy (15/16 or 19/20)

There's no way I would ever put Soyuncu ahead of 15/16 Morgan. He was an utter colossus that year. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hammo said:

The 2015/16 side won the Premier League by ten points.

This one has played only ten games and is eight points off the lead.

But the mere fact that there is a comparison debate going on shows how worried the ‘Big Six’ and all their media acolytes are about this current side infiltrating their precious ‘elite’.

Happy days are here again!

But the sides this season are much better - at least Liverpool & Man City definitely are...

• Like 1

Guest Eamonn
3 hours ago, Wolfox said:

Going retro - safe choice, but, I respect it :yesyes:

This thread has blown my mind. Can we just play either team against Southampton every week?

I’d say the league was stronger overall In 15/16. Southampton, West Ham finished on low 60s & Stoke were high 50s. Chelsea finished 10th with like 55 points? You’d probably get 10th with 44 points this season. Outside 3/4 teams the league is pretty drab this season and has been for the last couple. I mean, Burnley finished 7th with 56/57 points (I think) in 17/18. Hate it when people just make comments like ‘the league was crap when Leicester won it blah blah blah”. The distribution of points prove it was a much more competitive league in my opinion (rant over)

:D

We probably won it the most comfortably over the last couple of seasons aswell, bar Man City in17/18 the others have been pretty close I think (5 or 6 points between the top 2)?

Edited by Meat and 2 veg

Kante was arguably the best player in the world that season.  Not only that, Mahrez was at an unbelievable level all season - he created so many goals from scratch and while Tielemens has something of that in him (and is obviously better than Mahrez in other ways) he doesn't do it on the same level yet.

Talent-wise, this squad is probably better.  But they have to deal with Liverpool and Man City, which the 15-16 team didn't.  They're young and inexperienced, while that side had a lot of wizened heads even if few who had ever been on league winners.  What the 15-16 squad had was an unbelievable cohesion and consistency - the pieces fit together perfectly and everyone understood (and fulfilled) their role.  I don't think the 15-16 could win the league against the competition the 19-20 team is facing, but I'd still say on the whole they were the better team.

I think the main difference is in top-end stars. This club probably doesn't have any, though our players are well above average everywhere (don't take this as me talking sh*t, I believe guys will become bigtime, but most of our top talent is early 20s and not there yet). Just trying to be objective. I mean, Maguire was probably our biggest star last season, but his impact was nowhere near the stars on the title winning team (Kante, Riyad, Vardy in his prime). 

If this club had those three players, we might challenge for the title. Though if we had Riyad last season, Puel is probably still our manager, so that worked out. But seriously, if we could get Riyad back right now, we would have a CL spot nailed on.

GO GET ZAHA FOR RW IN JANUARY, COME ON NOW!

As for which is better, I'd take this one if we played ten times, but in a one-game showdown, I'd take the title winners. We were filled with experienced players having career years, they'd handle this team in a Cup final at Wembley.

Edited by vanity

Schmeichel 15/16

Ricardo  Huth   Morgan    Fuchs 

Kante 

Tielemans  Maddison

Mahrez                           Albrighton 15/16

Vardy 19/20

You could make a strong argument for Evans over Huth in the climate of VAR, but Bobby had some serious leadership, and crucial goals. Fuchs had the left foot of an artist and the long throw of a thug. Kanté>all the other people. Tielemans is like a rich man’s Drinky despite DD’s heroics that year, and Maddison edges Okazaki now his work rate has improved. Albrighton was great, and Harvey’s not there yet. And I think Vardy has improved every year.

7-4 to the old boys...

• Like 1

We need to see how the season progresses before we compare. I doubt that the title winning team would have put 9 past Southampton and we are a point better off with a far healthier goal difference at this stage of the season. 

Mahrez apart this seasons team has far more match winners than the title winners although I do not think you can understate how great Kante was that season. Still for me the best player I have ever seen in a Leicester shirt. 

I also think our options from the bench is far stronger this season too. 

Edited by Zaphod Beeblebrox

19 minutes ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

Schmeichel 15/16

Kante 

Tielemans  Maddison

Vardy 19/20

You could make a strong argument for Evans over Huth in the climate of VAR, but Bobby had some serious leadership, and crucial goals. Fuchs had the left foot of an artist and the long throw of a thug. Kanté>all the other people. Tielemans is like a rich man’s Drinky despite DD’s heroics that year, and Maddison edges Okazaki now his work rate has improved. Albrighton was great, and Harvey’s not there yet. And I think Vardy has improved every year.

7-4 to the old boys...

If there’s one guy whose contribution to that title winning side is undersold, it’s Huth.  People appreciate him, but I don’t think enough.  He was vital offensively, defensively and intangibly.

• Like 1

"The Foxes don't counter-attack nearly as much these days," says BBC Radio Leicester's Foxes commentator Ian Stringer, who has reported on 600 Leicester games.

Disagree 

Lowest possession stats of any league winner, that year 44 percent

This year we average 55 percent, how can you counter attack more when you have the ball considerably more each game

6 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

If there’s one guy whose contribution to that title winning side is undersold, it’s Huth.  People appreciate him, but I don’t think enough.  He was vital offensively, defensively and intangibly.

Let's not forget his elite German humor.

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/16-robert-huths-best-tweets-stoke-leicester-favourites-birthday/

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

"The Foxes don't counter-attack nearly as much these days," says BBC Radio Leicester's Foxes commentator Ian Stringer, who has reported on 600 Leicester games.

Disagree 

Lowest possession stats of any league winner, that year 44 percent

This year we average 55 percent, how can you counter attack more when you have the ball considerably more each game

Generally you don't, which is probably why he said we don't counter as much now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

Schmeichel 15/16

Kante 

Tielemans  Maddison

Vardy 19/20

7-4 to the old boys...

This looks about right to me. I think 15/16 is still better but the fact it's close is scary.

this side may be technically better and may be full of player's that achieve wonders. 

The mental resilience of the 15/16 side was unbelievable the pressure on the back 5 not to make mistakes those last few games was unbearable and they stood up to the biggest challenge in their live. This side excites me but they are very young and tbh do any of really think they could have withstanding the pressure and scrutiny the title winning side did

They are immortals for a reason