Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Are We Better than Our 15/16 Season?

27 minutes ago, ithuriel said:

Plenty of videos out there, here's one for example.

lol That must have been made by a non-Leicester fan with amnesia.

No way on earth should Chilwell, Barnes and Soyunchu be there ahead of 15/16 Fuchs, Albrighton and Huth - the former players have more potential, but what set the latter apart was their ridiculous consistency over the entire season - Barnes and Chilwell especially have been too inconsistent this season for it even to be worthy of consideration yet.

Rodgers over 15/16 Ranieri is also a bit of a joke.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Rodgers over 15/16 Ranieri is also a bit of a joke.

What Don Claudio achieved was simply the pinnacle of football tactics…. He put square pegs in square holes and set a plan to get the very best from his players…. Everyone new the plan and played it to perfection…. His management of the expectation and the media was masterful 

A peerless tactical masterclass if ever there was one…. Even when teams worked us out they couldn’t do anything about it 

• Like 4

Guest Eamonn

Zieler

Amartey Benalouane,  Wague

Diabate, Silva, Ghezzal, Kaputska

Slimani, Iheanachol, Musa

See that? Who needs Tielemans?

16 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

I would say we are better now but everyone else is also way better so we are actually further away from winning the title. I mean if you look at individual positions then we definitely have better players this time no contest. 

No we don't. Not in terms of consistency anyway.

I.e. Chilwell and Barnes may be better than 15-16 Fuchs and Albrighton in terms of their potential and best performances, but Fuchs and Albrighton were way more consistent and dependable  and stayed that way even as the pressure was built and built that season and a team with a left-side of 15-16 Fuchs and Albrighton would win more points over a 38-game season.

It's only really the number 8 and 10 roles (I.e. Drinkwater and Okazaki vs Tielrmans and Maddison) and the right-back role you can genuinely say are better now. (Well, you could argue Vardy has improved too I guess)

Edited by Sampson

2 hours ago, Sampson said:

No we don't. Not in terms of consistency anyway.

I.e. Chilwell and Barnes may be better than 15-16 Fuchs and Albrighton in terms of their potential and best performances, but Fuchs and Albrighton were way more consistent and dependable  and stayed that way even as the pressure was built and built that season and a team with a left-side of 15-16 Fuchs and Albrighton would win more points over a 38-game season.

It's only really the number 8 and 10 roles (I.e. Drinkwater and Okazaki vs Tielrmans and Maddison) and the right-back role you can genuinely say are better now. (Well, you could argue Vardy has improved too I guess)

Vardy hasn’t improved overall.

I know it’s trendy to think otherwise but he’s never been better than he was between August and November 2015. He scored in 11 straight games ffs. Not only that but he was chasing every lost cause in that time too, turning long punts into throw ins and free kicks in dangerous positions.

Still a brilliant striker and his adaptability is laudable but he was on another level for those 3 months.

Edited by ttfn

Are we comparing title winning Vardy with present Vardy, or can we switch it so it's present Vardy vs Okazaki, so we can have two Vardys up front? With 2 Vardys up front and an Ngolo and Wilf combo in midfield, the opposition would only have the ball for milliseconds before they got tackled, and the counter attack would be vicious. Where to fit in all the attacking talent though? Need room for Mahrez, Maddison, Tielemans, Ricardo, maybe Barnes, both Vardys ...

• Like 1

Imagine 10 years ago, as we argued over the merits of playing Nobby Solano at tight back, and who was going to drive Ryan McGivern back to Man City. We all knew Wellens was to blame for poor form of the big French man who shall not be named.

Flash forward and we are discussing the merits of the League Champions vs the team that is challenging for a Champions League spot, playing good attractive attacking football.

Its a funny old game.

I think the answer is no, we're not. At least not yet.

It's difficult though, because part of it is how good we were for the system we played (as many have said). For instance, I think we can all agree that it's fair to say Ricardo is a better footballer than Danny Simpson. But playing Ranieri's system? I would choose Simpson 8 times out of 10, because we sat back and defended under a lot of pressure, something that Simpson is better at. Similarly, peak Huth and Morgan would be slaughtered pushing up to the half way line, but I'd certainly take them over Soyuncu and Evans when defending cross after cross being launched into the box. 

Do we have better players? In some areas, maybe. I'd say that no replacement has as much quality as Mahrez or Kante (though N'didi pushes him close!). I'd also argue that while he may not have had the speed, Fuchs in his prime was a stronger player than Chilwell (in terms of defensive ability and passing/crossing). 

Maybe the clear ones are

Ricardo > Simpson

Tielemans > Drinkwater

Maddison > Okazaki? Albrighton? Different roles, so difficult to compare. 

Other than that, I'm not convinced that any other players are necessarily stronger. But that's no slight - that was a league winning side, and we had to replace them at some point. We still have a very good squad

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ttfn said:

Vardy hasn’t improved overall.

I know it’s trendy to think otherwise but he’s never been better than he was between August and November 2015. He scored in 11 straight games ffs. Not only that but he was chasing every lost cause in that time too, turning long punts into throw ins and free kicks in dangerous positions.

Still a brilliant striker and his adaptability is laudable but he was on another level for those 3 months.

Yeah, he's a different player now. Almost more of a (superior) Darren Bent, fox-in-the-box kind of player. It's great (and wise) that he's adapted his game, and he still puts a shift in, but I do miss him haring around the pitch like a mad man.

Damn you, time! Stop aging Vardy. 

It’s been discounted what the 15/16 team had to do in the home stretch. 

The mental strength to keep it up despite blips, naysayers and your own inner pressure was incredible. 

Yes the current team can be brilliant on the pitch to watch but we’ve yet to see them have to pass the mental tests of consistency (of which today is an example)

In my mind Kante and Mahrez make this arguement redundant.

And I'd certainly take leo back he always stepped up when required right now minus Vardy I would worry for us a little I mean wheres Jeff to turn up v Swansea.

This squad may have greater potential but I know one thing if you could, it would be one hell of a game to watch.

Right now I reckon Kasper is in better form and maybe has become a better player.

Theres no doubt our current RB is a better footballer than Danny.

Our CBs are probably about on a par on current form, Evan's is the experience ala Huth. Morgan now back up and we still dont know about benkovic.

Our midfield options are decent, I mean hamza probably gets in quite a few teams yet has to play back up to wilf but kante was a phenomena 

Madders is more of a goal threat and a supply line than shinji for all his effort.

It's close I'll give you that. But imagine Marhez in this team. That would be a dream.

Edited by Bayfox

4 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

We are better but so is everyone else. 

Not having that. Man City and Liverpool have improved since we won the league and I've been impressed with Chelsea in recent weeks, but Man Utd have spent millions to get worse, spurs are worse having only really stood still, Arsenal I still think this side is worse than the side that beat us twice that year.

I guess it's just my opinion tho, but i honestly think only the 2 sides above us right now have improved significantly since our title win.

Prime Vardy, Kante and Mahrez mean the title winners edge it. Stick Kante and Mahrez in the current team and you've really got something. 

Schmeichel

Ricardo Evans Soyuncu Fuchs

Kante

Tielemans Maddison

Mahrez ---------------------------- Barnes

Vardy

• 7 months later...
On 02/11/2019 at 12:48, Eamonn said:

Zieler

Amartey Benalouane,  Wague

Diabate, Silva, Ghezzal, Kaputska

Slimani, Iheanachol, Musa