Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Maddison In New Contract Talks; We're Selling No-One.

8 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Ricardo needs offering a new deal very quickly as well

My thoughts exactly. I can understand why Maddison is up first because being a creative English midfielder who can score, his value is likely the highest in our squad. But Ricardo has been one of our star performers for the longest period of time in terms of consistency. He could play immediately for anyone and I’m sure clubs will come calling for him.

• Like 1

I wouldn't write Benkovic off just yet, given him missing pre-season Rodgers is usually very careful with young players in this way or players he wants to change their game to make an impact on the side.  There were several examples of this at Celtic, Boyata who was left out in the cold until November in his first season and then went on to become our number 1 centre back throughout the rest of Rodgers time at Celtic, Armstrong was similar in that he only started becoming a regular in the second half of Rodgers first season and latterly Ryan Christie who was loaned out twice and left kicking his heels on the bench for a good while before getting his chance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

My thoughts exactly. I can understand why Maddison is up first because being a creative English midfielder who can score, his value is likely the highest in our squad. But Ricardo has been one of our star performers for the longest period of time in terms of consistency. He could play immediately for anyone and I’m sure clubs will come calling for him.

I'm  a bit surprised that no-one has spotted Ricardo before. Hes 26 or thereabouts and must have been looked at and would have been visible through European competitions. Perhaps this growth spurt is really down to BR and Puel (which appears a little fanciful)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

By the end of this current season i'd hope we have entered talks for new deals for Maddison, Ricardo, Soyuncu and Evans. Tielemans only signing a 4 year deal means we'll surely look to get him on a new deal within the next 12-18 months and will rely on whether we've secured CL football or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, surrifox said:

I'm  a bit surprised that no-one has spotted Ricardo before. Hes 26 or thereabouts and must have been looked at and would have been visible through European competitions. Perhaps this growth spurt is really down to BR and Puel (which appears a little fanciful)

I'm sure it was mentioned on here somewhere that Ricardo featured in an article by 442 magazine as being one of the top ten most promising player's in Europe just before we signed him, so can't imagine he was an unknown entity. I got the impression at the time that we managed to secure him because of his prior relationship with Puel and also that there were a few other highly rated RBs who knocking about who other teams opted for instead. 

14 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

By the end of this current season i'd hope we have entered talks for new deals for Maddison, Ricardo, Soyuncu and Evans. Tielemans only signing a 4 year deal means we'll surely look to get him on a new deal within the next 12-18 months and will rely on whether we've secured CL football or not.

it might be a bit of a truism  but securing CL football is purely  down to the performance of  these first team  players queuing up for megabuck contracts - it's harsh on the club and supporters  to think they might walk  if a top 4 place eludes us given our current position:thumbup:. their fate is in their own hands!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, surrifox said:

My gut feeling is that due to his size his physicality was seen as an issue. Leicester got lucky with players like Kante, Mahrez and Riccy who all show talent can beat genetics. But at the same time I feel Adrien Silva failed not due to talent but because he couldn’t cope with the league. He had been linked with Spurs so teams definitely rated his technical skill. 

For me Ricardo is genuine world class. Doubt we will have a better RB ever again!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, surrifox said:

There was interest, like there was interest in Maddison. It's about taking a risk where the bigger clubs might not. They would have been concerned about the fact he's a fairly recently converted winger and the quality of leagues he's been in. We took the plunge despite there being a few question marks, just as we did with Slim and Silva. Sometimes it works in your favour, sometimes it doesn't.