Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Kelechi Iheanacho

2 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Brilliantly taken goal but I’ll ask again.. what on earth is Nick Pope doing in that position?

If Kelechi connects with the ball at all, it’s in the back of the net. It wasn’t far off an open goal

I think Pope's position was OK to be honest.  9 times out of 10 the striker takes a touch to run into the box.  If that happens Pope is in a good position to either take the ball from Iheanacho's feet or at least push him out wide.  He was done by Iheanacho unexpectedly perfectly executing an extremely difficult skill.

• Like 3

If its a choice between JV and Kel at the moment, for me we've got to start Kel. Firstly it is repaying Kel's efforts to stay motivated and have an impact when he does get a start, secondly Vardy is woefully out of form / injured and thirdly if JV is injured gives him time to recover. Kel's offering much more up-front at the moment, he should play against the lower sides where the onus is on breaking through a defence and save Vardy for picking off the better teams that put us under pressure.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, nnfox said:

I think Pope's position was OK to be honest.  9 times out of 10 the striker takes a touch to run into the box.  If that happens Pope is in a good position to either take the ball from Iheanacho's feet or at least push him out wide.  He was done by Iheanacho unexpectedly perfectly executing an extremely difficult skill.

I disagree to be honest, Pope has left Iheancho with virtually an open goal if he gets any contact on it. He's just misjudged the flight of the ball. Don't get me wrong it's a great strike but Pope made it considerably easier for him. The ball's gone into the middle of the goal.

13 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

If its a choice between JV and Kel at the moment, for me we've got to start Kel. Firstly it is repaying Kel's efforts to stay motivated and have an impact when he does get a start, secondly Vardy is woefully out of form / injured and thirdly if JV is injured gives him time to recover. Kel's offering much more up-front at the moment, he should play against the lower sides where the onus is on breaking through a defence and save Vardy for picking off the better teams that put us under pressure.

I think his all round game last night was a pleasure to watch. Seemed to put himself about a bit more too.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, pazzerfox said:

Thought he was our best player tonight.  Anyone think the keeper was slightly to blame for Iheanacho's goal or is it just me?  Great strike, unsure if the keepers positioning was a bit dodgy.

Kasper kept us in the game with two of the saves being World Class.

Agree Pope's positioning on the goal though. Angles were all wrong, I wondered where he was going lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, enmac said:

Looking at it again a few times, I can see where JV plays a crucial part. Taking a defender away from the central area. 

Not convinced by that, recently JV has been going deeper to collect the ball and I think that is what he was doing there,.

1 minute ago, hejammy said:

Not convinced by that, recently JV has been going deeper to collect the ball and I think that is what he was doing there,.

to be a decoy runner, defender's have to believe the ball to him might be viable

Just now, enmac said:

OK. By accident or design, it made a difference. 

Just now, eblair said:

to be a decoy runner, defender's have to believe the ball to him might be viable

I agree, but he was a decoy runner by accident, not by design in my opinion. I don't see the need to praise JV on this occasion, if Nacho had done this exact thing nobody would make a whisper. Sometimes we try and find something because its JV, similarly on the opposite side of things when its someone like Hamza or Perez (recent scapegoats).

• Like 1

He offers more than JV in terms of coming deeper to get the ball and linking the play. However this will means that outside strikers (Barnes etc) as well as any No10’s will have to go beyond the strikers line more frequently. 

• Like 1

We have been here before with Iheanacho. Plays well, scores and his all round game and energy is spot on. I just hope he can build on this and maintain it, as too often he has then had a couple of stinkers, where is touch deserts him and he just doesn't work hard enough. 

I've said it a few times now, he could be absolutely key for us over the next few weeks and I just hope he is up for it!

5 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Brilliantly taken goal but I’ll ask again.. what on earth is Nick Pope doing in that position?

If Kelechi connects with the ball at all, it’s in the back of the net. It wasn’t far off an open goal

Because if he takes a touch like a normal person would instead of attempting a volley dropping over his shoulder which is about as hard a thing you can do in football. Pope would be on him closing the angle. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ian__marshall said:

Can't quite put my finger on what the issue is between him and Brendan. I'm absolutely convinced that over a full season playing regularly he's a 20 goal a season striker. Yes, he doesn't do the running of Vardy but there's no denying he knows how to find the back of the net. Weirdly there's an argument that the fact his only contribution in some games is a goal it's actually a good thing as it means his goals are evenly distributed which is a positive if you're a team like us that doesn't concede a huge amount as you'll likely pick up more points. 

I know some might say he's been here a while and hasn't cemented his place in the starting XI under various managers which is a valid point but conversely the form Vardy has been in the past few year's very few striker's in world football would have dislodged him from the team.

What I don't get is that now Vardy is clearly struggling (albeit due to injury) why he's not being given a fair chance. It's one of the things that frustrates me with Brendan at times. Despite being a very good coach he has the DNA of an England manager selecting players based on personal preference rather than form or merit. He'd obviously argue it works and it's difficult to dispute that given that we're sat 3rd in the league but it begs the question of whether we could achieve more if he wasn't so stubborn at times. As Nigel Pearson used to say 'it's a game of fine margins' . 

This is what I think - it may be unpopular, but JV is a little bit untouchable for us and BR probably thinks that too. I actually don't think that BR has the balls to drop Vardy and he knows if he did JV would perhaps cause an issue amongst the "leadership team". I think if it's BR vs JV with the owners then JV comes out on top everytime. This is unfortunate but JV is a legend of the club but perhaps we do need someone to give Kel a chance. I may be wrong but that what I think may be happening. 

35 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Because if he takes a touch like a normal person would instead of attempting a volley dropping over his shoulder which is about as hard a thing you can do in football. Pope would be on him closing the angle. 

...then that is an outrageous gamble for Pope to take!!!

One yard further to his left, he (Pope) covers all eventualities, he is there if Nacho takes a touch or if he Nacho chooses to shoot first time. Pope may just have lost his bearings and taken up a poor position.

Edited by sacreblueits442

that goal was almost a role reversal. normally Kel would have shown and come for the short ball to feet while JV made the run in behind. Perhaps it was something that had been worked on in training as JV is obviously struggling for full fitness and mobility at the moment. Kels run was pure Vardy the way he angled his run around and in behind the defender, and the finish was superb. Taking a ball on the volley that is coming in over your shoulder almost blind is ridiculously hard. The only time i have seen it done better is by Vardy himself against WBA.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, STUHILL said:

N'didi has dramatically improved his passing since Rodgers joined.  He's no Tielemans, but he is picking some really good passes out this season. The one for Barnes' goal against Liverpool was another perfectly weighted pass 

Ndidi has it in his locker to play some great passes. It’s when he’s put under pressure in his own half he struggles to remain composed. He’s miles better than he was last season, but for me still needs to improve his composure in the defensive third.

• Like 2