Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StriderHiryu

Kelechi Iheanacho

15 minutes ago, Collymore said:

I replied to the poll where 75% of you wanted him out of the club only weeks a go but I think it's in the hidden transfer forum! In the bin the lot of you! 

That’s mad, but those polls probably attract the people with the strongest opinions about him. 

He is unfortunate to have been behind Vardy for his entire stretch at the club. A different player entirely, but he is a great ball receiver in front of a crowded box. Can break the lines, great touch, can finish... has moments where he looks clumsy and gets an unfair amount of criticism for that. Against packed defences he is a very useful player IMO, he should play more against bottom half teams, but he needs another forward ahead of him to be most effective as he likes to play on the turn. 

We have few players better able to receive a ball in a crowded area and do something positive with it.

Edited by FoxesWalk
  • Like 4

What worries me the most is that he's only been getting games because Perez is crocked. If Rodgers drops him when Perez comes back, and we fail to make top 4, then I'm really going to have to question the manager. (Two big ifs there - at the time of writing we are 2nd and it would be madness to criticise the manager!).

18 minutes ago, Kevin Russell said:

I really feel that Kel has been given a rough ride at times. I felt at the time that dropping him to play Perez as a ‘false 9’ was a poor idea. In practice it was predictably disappointing.

Something changed with Kel when he came on in that Everton game last season for me. Since then his goals per minute have been really strong and he always looks like he’ll contribute something. He is undeniably clumsy at times and he can definitely frustrate, but equally he is capable of getting on the ball and making things happen. It feels like Rodgers doesn’t trust him, maybe he isn’t as tactically astute as others? Even in his interview last night he doesn’t give him credit. 

I wish Rodgers would give Kel the treatment he gives Perez. 

Yes, I noticed that. An odd but very human thing. 

I find the Vardy, Iheanacho axis a fascinating one. A throwback to a time when strikers always used to hunt in pairs. There's an element of Lineker Smith to them (one for the over 45s there)

• Like 1

Another way of looking at it is Rodgers may be giving tough love to Ihenacho. He knows his potential and wants more. He's a very good man manager so would be surprised if he would go so public if he had an issue with him. 

I don't have the stats but when Vardy and Ihenacho played together, we've tended to perform well (e.g. the wins vs Everton and Crystal Palace). That's why for me, it was a no-brainer for them to start together upfront when Maddison got injured. 

I think Rodgers' main concern with Kelechi is he doesn't offer as much control necessarily as the other forwards. But his all round game is developing and you can see we get the best out of him in a front two. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Collymore said:

I replied to the poll where 75% of you wanted him out of the club only weeks a go but I think it's in the hidden transfer forum! In the bin the lot of you! 

Thats because, when he plays as a main striker (most of the time) he's generally garbage. 

He's only really effective as part of a pair and thats how he he should be used going forward. 

I have always said the same thing about Kel. Its not that he's a bad player but more that he doesn't fit our system. To play him, we have to change our entire formation and the problem with that is that usually when he plays, Vardy is injured so we are short of options to put up top along side him. 

If we signed Eduoard, I would love to see how Kel and Eddie played together. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Collymore said:

I've ran out of reps but I totally agree. It's the most annoying thing about this place. I'm certain if he fails to score against Sheff Utd people will be wanting rid again. It's so reactionary it's ridiculous. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

New contract?

I keep reading this, it's his 4th season here and thats the first time he's put two good performances together. I also don't think you can consider a new contract until he puts in performances when fans are in the stadium either. Hopefully we've learnt from past mistakes handing out unwarranted contract extensions.

Just watched the game again as wasn't able to see it all last night. Kelechi played really well after the break. He is clearly a talented footballer as his goal showed, but his passing and awareness when dropping deep was very good too. We certainly need him for the rest of the season to have a run of games. It seems a confidence thing with him and we need goals. 

1 hour ago, Lesta2014 said:

So inconsistent even within a game, goes from quality to akinbiyi in seconds. Does score goals though. I can’t fully work him out. Striker as focal point? Just behind a striker? Bit of both?

Akinbiyi? Blimey that’s harsh even for a moment. I’ve seen a lot of bad buys over the years but that was by far the worst £ for £.

He needs a run of games, at times Collymore looked like he didn’t give a toss but was still a great player. Most strikers are poor at times.

He’d be awesome playing alongside a big striker that pulls focus from the defenders .... think Sir Les Ferdinand, Ian Marshall, Steve Walsh, or even Crouch / Duncan Ferguson.

(yeah I know they’re all old, my knowledge of big strikers is fairly out of date!!!)

Edited by 5waller5
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

Give him a new contract, make sure he always plays next to another striker!

I believe Kelechi`s contract runs until next summer. I think Brendan is loving his form for the team for two reasons, (that he is helping the team and increases the chances of us getting a decent fee for him). To me it seems his mind is made up on him and the chances of him getting a new deal are IMO minimal.

It seems so obvious Brendan wants to another direction for his strikers. 

37 minutes ago, lcfcsnow said:

I keep reading this, it's his 4th season here and thats the first time he's put two good performances together. I also don't think you can consider a new contract until he puts in performances when fans are in the stadium either. Hopefully we've learnt from past mistakes handing out unwarranted contract extensions.

Understood, however when have we gave him a run in those 4 seasons?

It's understandable why we're so reliant on Vardy but he's clearly unfit (Due to coming back from an operation) and when we persist with an unfit Vardy with all due respect we may aswell be playing with 10 men, we've gotta learn to become less reliant on Vardy, especially as unfortunately the inevitable is nigh.

That said, hopefully Vardy is getting there because a fit Vardy + Sheff Utd = Goals and shithousery (Albeit no fans :thumbdown:).

I'm not saying Iheanacho is the answer or replacement but hes definetly an option and given the time, the confidence, I think he'll be a very good option.

It's amazing how certain players seem to be played and persisted with even when it's not going for them but then other players we don't even give the chance of a run and a simply wrote off and frozen out, Iheanacho is somewhere in the middle bordering on the latter of that certainly over the 4 years.

Edited by Matt

21 minutes ago, Analysethis said:

I believe Kelechi`s contract runs until next summer. I think Brendan is loving his form for the team for two reasons, (that he is helping the team and increases the chances of us getting a decent fee for him). To me it seems his mind is made up on him and the chances of him getting a new deal are IMO minimal.

It seems so obvious Brendan wants to another direction for his strikers. 

I think brendan would be more wise to add to his depth of quality strikers than take away, Vardy, Edouard and Kel and would hopefully mean we can challenge on all fronts again.

• Like 3

Guest bennytwohats
1 hour ago, peach0000 said:

I've ran out of reps but I totally agree. It's the most annoying thing about this place. I'm certain if he fails to score against Sheff Utd people will be wanting rid again. It's so reactionary it's ridiculous. 

Agree. I can handle criticism of a player when it's warranted, but the way in which the pitchforks come out for the scapegoat of the time is pretty shitty to see from our so called fans. The missed penalty was obviously unfortunate, but after that any time he put a foot wrong the reaction was ridiculous, a lot of people were actively seeking out things to give him stick for.

Pleased for him that he's turned the tide of opinion back around. I wish people would be more mindful for whoever the next scapegoat is.

13 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Does getting a 3rd striker in mean we can also choose to play a pair or a lone striker, thus giving a legitimate way of resting Vardy without dropping him?

Yes I think this is a good point. Next season I would be quite happy if we had the option of playing 1 or 2 up top out of JV, KI and Edouard.

16 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Does getting a 3rd striker in mean we can also choose to play a pair or a lone striker, thus giving a legitimate way of resting Vardy without dropping him?

This is exactly what we need, means everyone gets sufficient game time but also can be rested. We can’t continue to run a 34 year old striker into the ground going forward who clearly is still very talented but could do with being rested.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Post Horn Galloper said:

I think he plays best whenslightly off the principal striker (Vardy). It was pointed out in the commentary last night, and on MOTD, how fruitful the Vards-Kelechi partnership has been. Vards however isn't scoring; Maddison and Barnes are out. Kelechi IS scoring goals  - Fulham, Burnley and Brighton but the chances are that Rodgers will replace him as soon as Perez is fit again. Even last night he couldn't help thanking him by pulling him off. Rodgers is an excellent manager but his treatment of Iheanacho has been utterly capricious, last season as well as this season - seemingly intent on destroying his confidence by dropping or substituting him however well he performs. Given the support and encouragement of his manager, Kelechi could be a really good striker for us. God only knows why Rodgers has it in for him.

I didn’t realise he’d pulled him off - maybe that’s part of his goal bonus 😁

• Haha 2

Was actually really good in general last night, on top of the goal.

Still definitely need to sign a striker in the summer though, if Ian carries on playing like this then bonus but he’s often Been abysmal and Vardy is no longer looking like an automatic selection, and we will have another packed fixture list next year so there will new minutes for all.