Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Izzy

Villa (A) Pre-Match Thread

6 hours ago, UPinCarolina said:

Start this one with Praet in for Youri, Gray on the pitch, Nacho for Perez, Chilly back on, and Justin in for Ricardo?

I wouldn't swap ricardo for the fact he just doesnt look tired at all, he still seems ridiculously fresh. Which is mental with amount of ground he covers. We also have a right back that runs through teams like the trickiest wingers about. What even is going on at the minute. Its mental. We're actually top quality. 

Edited by ARTY_FOX

Wouldnt start Gray, he is at his best off the bench and absolutely toilet when he starts. I'd go:

Schmich

Ricardo Evans Soyuncu Chilwell

Ndidi

Praet Maddison

Barnes (free role)

Nacho Vardy

Think he will play the same side again though. Maybe Albrighton on the right.

Edited by lgfualol

9 hours ago, Tuna said:

I still remember that hideous 2-1 defeat there with Alan flipping Hutton scoring the winner.

They hadn't scored in the second half in front of the Holte End since 1968 or something silly like that.

During our miserable run in 14/15 after the Man United 5-3.

Almost five years ago to the day now. 

The game was also marred by a dreadful scissor tackle by Vardy on Ashley Westwood who was stretchered off and Konchesky getting a red. Worst still - we then went back there three months later in the fifth round of the FA Cup and lost 2-1 again...both goals in front of the Holte End with Schwarzer having a shocker. Kramaric scored a late consolation. Konchesky sending this place into meltown yet again for supposedly having the temerity to actually be spotted going for a meal with his wife after the game. Classic FT. 

The following month The Great Escape began, ushering in the greatest era in the club's history. 

1 minute ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Being a Birmingham resident it’s always important to win this but given our form rather than be nervous, I’m looking forward to the game. Two teams with attacking talent 

But only one with any real defensive or midfield talent. 

must win, will win. 

They are saying they will win because we have won 7 in a row and we have to lose sometime. 

I'm afraid you load of thick Brummies, things don't work like that. 

They have 3 outstanding players that can hurt anyone, but we have the best defence in the country and should be way to much for them in every other department as well. 

Drop Perez, play Nacho with Vardy upfront, Barnes in behind them and madders / tielemans in midfield, the rest picks its self. 

Let's smash "the biggest team in the Midlands". 

Oh and did you know they won the European Cup in 1982?

11 minutes ago, Cujek said:

They are saying they will win because we have won 7 in a row and we have to lose sometime. 

I'm afraid you load of thick Brummies, things don't work like that. 

They have 3 outstanding players that can hurt anyone, but we have the best defence in the country and should be way to much for them in every other department as well. 

Drop Perez, play Nacho with Vardy upfront, Barnes in behind them and madders / tielemans in midfield, the rest picks its self. 

Let's smash "the biggest team in the Midlands". 

Oh and did you know they won the European Cup in 1982?

I'd probably start with Nacho as well, we can always bring Perez on If we are struggling 

Sunday's game will be different as 'Vanilla' will come out and want to win especially at home. So coming forward will leave gaps at the back meaning our lads will have greater opportunities to put this lot to bed. With them floundering in the lower reaches of the decision it will be Leicester City's game for the taking.

38 minutes ago, ARM1968 said:

But only one with any real defensive or midfield talent. 

must win, will win. 

Midfield which consists of McGinn and a decent player in Douglas Luiz. Their full backs can be targeted but they have an England international and an England youth international at centre back. They aren’t shabby. This is from

someone who generally detests their fans arrogance

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

We've won all our home games since drawing 0-0 on the opening weekend so that's not statistically true. That said I know what you mean, we've looked more convincing on the road as of late despite picking up win after win at the KP.

Barring the 9-0 I’d disagree.

we were awful at OT, never looked like winning at Anfield, Palace we played a great professional ‘away’ performance but before a set piece we hadn’t looked like scoring, Brighton away we weren’t great until we scored either.

Home we’d been convincing barring Tonight. Everton I think we played well and that’s a great result considering how hard it is to break down a defence with a lead..same as Burnley.

Away we’ve soaked up oppositions attacks well but if we had conceded away first in any of the recent games , we would be unlikely to win imo.

this will be a tough game vs villa

• Like 1

We should play:

Kasper

Ricardo Soyuncu Evans Chillwell

Ndidi Tillimens

Gray    Maddison     Barnes

Vardy

I say it over and over again but Maddison can’t play wide. If we do that we will lose. This formation and team is working, don’t change what’s not broke.

Tillimens is so good he has to play and this formation is why we have a great balance between attack and defence.

This isnt the game for nacho(at least not to start) because Villa are not going to sit 10 behind the ball at home and have some threat going forward, so no to 2 up top. 3 in midfield pack it and control the game and there will be space for Vardy to run into or Maddison to do his magic.

only change I’d put would be Gray in for Pérez, think it would suit him, as it’ll be an open feel I think and the pace of him and Ricardo will push villa on the back foot.

If we play defencivly with Maddison tucked in on the wing and resting our best forward passer from deep in Youri like some of you lot have suggested, there will be only one winner, and that’s not us!

7 minutes ago, deanolegend1989 said:

we were awful at OT, never looked like winning at Anfield, Palace we played a great professional ‘away’ performance but before a set piece we hadn’t looked like scoring, Brighton away we weren’t great until we scored either.

Home we’d been convincing barring Tonight. Everton I think we played well and that’s a great result considering how hard it is to break down a defence with a lead..same as Burnley.

Away we’ve soaked up oppositions attacks well but if we had conceded away first in any of the recent games , we would be unlikely to win imo.

Are you joking? There was a rocky period in the middle but we should have been about 4-0 up against brighton after about 15 minutes. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Are you joking? There was a rocky period in the middle but we should have been about 4-0 up against brighton after about 15 minutes. 

Just never was convinced. Other than Everton I’ve never been in any way worried we weren’t going to win each home game. I think we played fairly poorly vs Watford but we almost knew it would come , we were comfortable.

I think at both Palace and Brighton it felt like we needed a goal quick and both times it arrived but I’d argue at home we’ve been a lot better.

I think away I’d say 2nd half at the Bridge, Southampton and 2nd half at Palace we’re probably the only times I felt we looked good and convincing away

8 minutes ago, deanolegend1989 said:

You have to be kidding? We were unplayable for the first 35-40 minutes. Could of been 3 or 4 nil!

We should have got a point at united and Liverpool.

Everton and Watford set up for a draw and we have always struggled to beat teams that are well organised and see behind the ball. This season we seemed to have finally worked it out.

You say if a team scores first we would be uinlikely to win?? whys that? we score the majority of our goals in the second half and hardly conceed in the 2nd half!

Villa will be tough they arent a bad team but come on

• Like 2

1 minute ago, goose2010 said:

You have to be kidding? We were unplayable for the first 35-40 minutes. Could of been 3 or 4 nil!

We should have got a point at united and Liverpool.

Everton and Watford set up for a draw and we have always struggled to beat teams that are well organised and see behind the ball. This season we seemed to have finally worked it out.

You say if a team scores first we would be uinlikely to win?? whys that? we score the majority of our goals in the second half and hardly conceed in the 2nd half!

Villa will be tough they arent a bad team but come on

We didn’t come from behind to win away yet, I’d not be convinced we want a game like that. We are a very oiled machine, if we score first teams heads go down and we sit deeper, give them no space, but they always scared of pushing leaving counter with JV lurking.

It plays it’s our hands perfectly if we score first, the test will be when we concede first, that’s when we have to attack, bring nacho on put 2 up etc. 

I think this is a game for Praet rather than Youri. Grealish is their danger man and will try and pick up pockets of space from wider areas which means Ndidi won't always be close to him and Praet's tackling is brilliant. He has the better engine right now than Tielemans and it makes sense to give him a breather for a game.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Just never was convinced. Other than Everton I’ve never been in any way worried we weren’t going to win each home game. I think we played fairly poorly vs Watford but we almost knew it would come , we were comfortable.

I think at both Palace and Brighton it felt like we needed a goal quick and both times it arrived but I’d argue at home we’ve been a lot better.

I think away I’d say 2nd half at the Bridge, Southampton and 2nd half at Palace we’re probably the only times I felt we looked good and convincing away

Fair enough. I was confident at brighton, we exposed them so much in the opening exchange it was always going to come. 

I thought spurs at home was going to be 'one of those days' admittedly. 

35 minutes ago, deanolegend1989 said:

So apart from the occasional game, you pretty much think we are crap. Are you from Liverpool? 

1 minute ago, worthosoriginals said:

So apart from the occasional game, you pretty much think we are crap. Are you from Liverpool? 

No as I said away. At home I think we’ve played pretty well in most games and the ones we’ve knicked like Burnley and Everton we showed great resolve from early set backs.

Away like I said, not been convinced.

We played crap at OT.

we played ok at Liverpool but never looked like winning(there a great team it’s not a negative response about us).

We obviously played well at Southampton.

Palace as I said was a great professional performance.

so pretty clear from my message that overall I thought we have played good at home but not so good away from home 

3 hours ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Agreed. Our midfield is far superior on the whole. 

Grealish is good though. But if wilf sticks with him he can keep him quiet playing as he is at the minute. In fact N'didi doesnt even look like he's trying that hard and is still bossing it. 

Oh no doubt Grealish is talented but I just think we’re past the days of being taken apart by a single talented midfielder. They do have some other good players but I’m of the opinion that we have too much for them if we turn up. 

• Like 1