Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Izzy

Villa (A) Pre-Match Thread

4 hours ago, lee7 said:

Out of all our attacking players I would say Perez has been the weakest link for me recently so because of that I'd put him on the bench to start with. 

If we play like we did against Watford and Everton we'll lose this. I never really fancy us against Villa and in my lifetime I can't remember us putting in many good performances against them :mellow:

When we won the league they were probablly one of the worst Premier teams ever and we unbelievablly still only drew so not one of our favourite grounds  but I still expect a win

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OadbyBlue said:

Just go with the normal bloody winning team unless we’re forced into a change through injury maybe?lol

The congested fixture list complicates things, though. Looking to decrease injury through squad management, etc.

9 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Would start Albrighton, absolutely no doubt and go crazy lopsided, Youri needs a rest (So does Maddison, butr next game maybe)

image.png.ceee0ed720cd03e3ac31e9b590370230.png

I can see the merit in that and even thinking through how it could work.

BUT..

I cant deal with the lack of symmetry. It's ****ing with my brain and making me sad, so it's got to be a no from me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Teams have figured out the way to stifle us is to clog the middle of the pitch and dare our wings to create goals, which they haven’t done very often this season.  Watford and Everton did it well but weren’t quite good or lucky enough to finish the job - against better sides it might be a different story. I think it’s going to be interesting to see how Rodgers reacts to try and counter - the ball is in his court now, because I think we’re going to see all the mid-table sides employ that tactic until we do a better job against it than we did against Everton and Watford.

Edited by Deeg67
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Deeg67 said:

Teams have figured out the way to stifle us is to clog the middle of the pitch and dare our wings to create goals, which they haven’t done very often this season.  Watford and Everton did it well but weren’t quite good or lucky enough to finish the job - against better sides it might be a different story. I think it’s going to be interesting to see how Rodgers reacts to try and counter - the ball is in his court now, because I think we’re going to see all the mid-table sides employ that tactic until we do a better job against it than we did against Everton and Watford.

A better job getting maximum points? We still won. Watford were no threat, we will win every game eventually if teams do that. Everton got a lead so had something to cling to. If teams continue to do it, let them do it at their peril.

You say against better sides it would be a different story but ‘better’ sides would fancy attacking us and that walks into our hands too.

No one has figured us out. We have the 2nd best team in the division and we are a very good side that in 90% of the seasons gone by would be favourites for the Premier league.

Vs villa we should play the same 11 and same formation. We have a week off after this game which is more than enough to recover. If we’re winning going into last 30 then can rest Youri and JV etc.

I never understand resting players and then bringing them on when losing. What if we go 1-0 down vs villa with our weaker team then bring on the initially rested players chasing a game(which would be more strenuous) than starting them and taking them off if looking tired?

Start the same team and take it from there.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, UPinCarolina said:

The congested fixture list complicates things, though. Looking to decrease injury through squad management, etc.

That’s true but I think our chance to rotate was Watford, Villa is a much trickier game and we need our main attacking threats playing to break them down

1 hour ago, deanolegend1989 said:

A better job getting maximum points? We still won. Watford were no threat, we will win every game eventually if teams do that. Everton got a lead so had something to cling to. If teams continue to do it, let them do it at their peril.

You say against better sides it would be a different story but ‘better’ sides would fancy attacking us and that walks into our hands too.

No one has figured us out. We have the 2nd best team in the division and we are a very good side that in 90% of the seasons gone by would be favourites for the Premier league.

Vs villa we should play the same 11 and same formation. We have a week off after this game which is more than enough to recover. If we’re winning going into last 30 then can rest Youri and JV etc.

I never understand resting players and then bringing them on when losing. What if we go 1-0 down vs villa with our weaker team then bring on the initially rested players chasing a game(which would be more strenuous) than starting them and taking them off if looking tired?

Looking only at wins and draws and losses blinds you to underlying opportunities - and vulnerabilities.  These were two bad sides playing on our pitch, and we needed a dubious penalty and a miracle linesman-assisted finish to win. Being lucky is great, but we looked stifled and frustrated for most of those two matches. 

I don’t think sides like Wolves and Villa are going at attack us and obligingly create space for us to pick them apart. They’ll do what the bottom feeders did and clog the middle, and likely do a better job of it and offer more threat on the counter to boot. 

Edited by Deeg67
  • Like 2

I'd like to see Nacho or Gray instead of Perez.  MA for Barnes maybe.

Dennis for Youri from the start, then in the second half, enter the Hamza for Madders

giphy.gif

Vards being overexploited is a bit of a worry too. 

Cags as the cinderella and Ndidi as fairy godmother shooting from distance to put 2 past the pantomime Villains. COYL :scarf:

20 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Looking only at wins and draws and losses blinds you to underlying opportunities - and vulnerabilities.  These were two bas sides playing on our pitch, and we needed a dubious penalty and a miracle linesman-assisted finish to win. Being lucky is great, but we looked stifled and frustrated for most of those two matches. 

I don’t think sides like Wolves and Villa are going at attack us and obligingly create space for us to pick them apart. They’ll do what the bottom feeders did and clog the middle, and likely do a better job of it and offer more threat on the counter to boot. 

Haha thats not a good arguement at all. Firstly a 'miracle linesman assisted finish' or a brilliantly created goal with a well timed run and a fantastic finish to break down a stubborn defence? If the linesman actually knew what he was doing it wouldnt even go up in the first place. Dodgy penalty? or dodgy decision to not give us a stonewall penalty in the first half? You obviously got your blinkers on..We wernt lucky at all in either game, Everton we won from purely not giving up and continuing to try and play football. Watford we won because we are that good we can win in first gear against a team with no threat like them, if we needed to pick it up we would. There was no luck in either of those games, you could argue Everton were lucky to grab a lead from their first chance to make the game difficult so stop talking waffle.

We only drew to Wolves because we fiddled with the formation putting 2 Defencive midfielders to try and keep it tight and it turned into a game we should of lost with Wolves have chances and a disallowed goal and we created the best part of **** all, which backs my point up to keep a balanced side thats won 7 on the bounce.

If we play the same team we will beat Villa, if we try and tinker and disrupt the rhythm or try and set up to stop Villa, we will lose. Dont show any respect, go for the throat..we are far better than them at our strongest..

Same team again = 0-2 again..

• Like 2

Villa is going to be tough to beat. I watched a bit of their games this season. They are actually playing pretty well and they have just been a bit unlucky in terms of results. Grealish in particular has been playing really well and McGinn is also real threat. It would be tough for us to keep a clean sheet.

5 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Have to agree there, I have been watching Liverpool as long with us and they have to negotiate/encounter a jam packed midfield like us and have similarly not looked as pleasing to the eye (Everton being the exception) but have still kept on playing /believing in their style and in the end come out comfortable winners. If we weren't creating chances I'd be worried but we are, maybe we aren't clinical enough but that would be my only gripe. Barnes will, by the laws of the numbers game be on a shit hot scoring streak soon and he gets a lot of chances every game. We can score from anywhere and are very patient with the build up, so on these grounds I'm confident of a 3-1 win

• Like 1

Perez & Tielemans looked knackered on Wednesday so maybe a rest is due for them, would bring in Praet & Iheanacho, plus if Gray is fit enough leave him on bench as he’s been more effective coming on as a sub...

Heard a Villa reporter speaking last pm. He said Mings has been poor recently, and their defence is a worry generally. He thinks Vardy could have plenty of joy. Grealish, McGinn, are their threats going forward, Hourihanne as a dead ball specilist another. 

8 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

When teams play like this, we aren’t going to be able to play the football we’ve seen before. 

Beating them both shows that we can deal with it. The only thing that’ll change how teams set up against us is by getting an early goal. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

352 could be the answer. Ask Ricardo and Chilwell/J.J/Albrighton/Barnes to essentially be auxiliary wingers from the wingback position whilst also giving more to worry about in the middle.

3 hours ago, Tom12345 said:

Villa is going to be tough to beat. I watched a bit of their games this season. They are actually playing pretty well and they have just been a bit unlucky in terms of results. Grealish in particular has been playing really well and McGinn is also real threat. It would be tough for us to keep a clean sheet.

Thankfully they're huge second half bottlers which plays into our hands. If games ended in the first half they'd be 4th or something ridiculous like that

Kasper

Ricky

Evans

Cags

Chilly

Ndidi

Praet

Madders

Gray

Vardy

Barnes

Just a couple of changes to freshen it up. Would be tempted to give Albrighton a game over Barnes too but I think that despite his lack of goals, Barnes creates more problems than Marc would. 

• Like 1