Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Brendan Rodgers 'set for bumper new £5m raise?

True or Fake News?

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/18080187.ex-celtic-boss-brendan-rodgers-set-bumper-new-5m-leicester-city-raise-fend-off-arsenal-interest/

Ex-Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers 'set for bumper new £5m Leicester City raise' to fend off Arsenal interest

By Mark Hendry  @mhendry92Sports Writer

Ex-Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers 'set for bumper new £5m Leicester City raise' to fend off Arsenal interest

Former Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers looks set to sign a bumper new deal at Leicester to fend off interest from Arsenal.

The manager has reportedly been sounded out by Gunners hierarchy to replace recently sacked Unai Emery.

He recently admitted to having a clause in his contract that could see Arsenal coax him away if they parted with around £14million.

Ex-Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers admits clause in Leicester deal would 'allow him to leave' if Arsenal come calling

And while he recently claimed to be happy in his role at the King Power Stadium, speculation continues to mount about his loyalty should a move be made.

Now, Transfer Window podcast host and journalist Ian McGarry has revealed that Northern Irishman Rodgers, 46, could be in line for almost £5million more in wages should he opt to stay.

He said: "Leicester City are planning to offer Brendan Rodgers a new contract, an extended contract on better terms amid interest from Arsenal who have been pursuing the possibility of succeding Unai Emery at the Emirates. 

Jamie Carragher claims Celtic fans were 'harsh' on Brendan Rodgers but he should not leave Leicester for Arsenal

"Our understanding is that Leicester will offer him an extended deal of one or possibly two years. 

"His current deal ends in 2022 and with the new deal he will have the possibility of earning £5m more than his current deal in both wages and bonuses."

Rodgers' loyalty has been questioned by a number of people in recent times including Lee Dixon, Andy Gray and John Hartson while former Liverpool captain Jamie Carragher claimed Celtic fans' criticism of their ex-manager was "harsh" - despite him leaving in the middle of a trophy-seeking season.

• Like 1

Standard Leicester at the minute, and bloody great to see.

We have an asset that is performing well that someone else wants, so we give them a well deserved raise which keeps them happy in the short term and keeps them focussed. In return we get a contract that is favourable for our negotiating position if/when the time comes for them to move on.

Well Done.

• Like 2

We have to do everything we can to make sure he stays with us long term and clearly the club are trying to do that, but ultimately the decsion is his. money is not an issue. clearly he and his assistants deserve a big raise after what they are doing. the factor of whether he stays or goes will ultimately not be about money.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

He should be on £150k a week the same as Vardy, maybe even more so this makes sense.

Was it Alex Ferguson who had a highest earner clause in his contract? He said (and rightly so) that in any other industry the Manager is paid higher than his staff and that should be the same in football. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

He should be on £150k a week the same as Vardy, maybe even more so this makes sense.

Is Vardy really on £150k? Seems a bit steep.

Apparently Maguire was "only" on £80k last season, and that was his new contract after the World Cup. 

edit: steep meaning I thought he was on nearer to £100k, not that he isn't worth it

Edited by Poznan34

1 hour ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

He's definitely on for a raise. In real terms it doesn't mean he's staying though. It just means LCFC will try and tie in a huge compensation figure if he buggers off. 

Or a higher compensation figure if it all goes to pot and we end up having to sack him :ph34r:

23 minutes ago, Poznan34 said:

Apparently Maguire was "only" on £80k last season, and that was his new contract after the World Cup. 

It is a LOT of money but in relative terms it really isnt, when you have the likes of Sanchez, Pogba and De Bruyne earning probably double that figure. 

I know which one i would prefer in my team. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

He's definitely on for a raise. In real terms it doesn't mean he's staying though. It just means LCFC will try and tie in a huge compensation figure if he buggers off. 

Levy did something similar when Pochettino signed an extended contract - that went well ( although I doubt he  ever attracted as much interest as BR )

I think we are worrying over nothing I'm sure he thought to himself this is going better than he expected probably when he came to us his goal in mind may have been get us Europa football maybe a domestic cup then I'm in a position to go to a bigger club, fast forward to today he has got together a team of gifted young players and find him 2nd in the league so the only way forward is to stay with us and make us Premier champs again, the only place he could go is Manchester City if we ended up higher than them and Pep goes, basically there is no logical move for him at the moment but stay at Leicester 

Edited by southfox66

1 hour ago, Poznan34 said:

Steep for the best player I have seen at the club in my lifetime!? No way!

Age is but a number! Jamie Vardy is the top scorer in the Premier League and has made the highest number of goal contributions of any player. He is our living legend and talisman and must surely be the most popular player in our team. When players like Mesut Ozil are on 300k a week and Alexis Sanchez 450k, I would say we have an absolute bargain. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

I suspect we might offer him an interim deal until the end of the season just to secure him at the club, then depending on how we finish the season give him a proper raise as required. 

I serioulsy doubt it.  Nothing says we have confidence quite like "we will and see how well you do before we committ ourselves".

14 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

I suspect we might offer him an interim deal until the end of the season just to secure him at the club, then depending on how we finish the season give him a proper raise as required. 

Do you reckon for Brendan it's not so much about money, but about ambition? If Top says to him, "let's try to win the Premier League, here's 200m" then that's the sort of thing that would make him stay, if that's even possible for us to do? 

When you see the prices quoted for Jadon Sancho, it makes you realise how big the gulf is that we need to make up. But we've proven we have a world class recruitment team and can get good players without them having to be world stars first. If Rodgers thinks he could genuinely win a big trophy with us, he would probably stay. Otherwise I would say one of the lures of Man U or Arsenal is they can do things like spend 80m on Maguire or 72m on Pepe. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I serioulsy doubt it.  Nothing says we have confidence quite like "we will and see how well you do before we committ ourselves".

Fair enough. I meant it as purely a contract upgrade in order to boost his ‘release clause’, with the promise of bonuses if we qualify for the CL. 

Having said all that, one might already be in place :dunno:

3 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Do you reckon for Brendan it's not so much about money, but about ambition? If Top says to him, "let's try to win the Premier League, here's 200m" then that's the sort of thing that would make him stay, if that's even possible for us to do? 

When you see the prices quoted for Jadon Sancho, it makes you realise how big the gulf is that we need to make up. But we've proven we have a world class recruitment team and can get good players without them having to be world stars first. If Rodgers thinks he could genuinely win a big trophy with us, he would probably stay. Otherwise I would say one of the lures of Man U or Arsenal is they can do things like spend 80m on Maguire or 72m on Pepe. 

You’d like to think so, in a perfect world. 

He’s a clever guy and could earn a lot more at Man Utd and Arsenal, without a doubt. But he’s already quite wealthy, and very ambitious in his career. Man U and Arsenal both have more money than sense, as you say. Dreadful recruitment, dreadful management from top to bottom. Just throw money at the problem - which is at the minute benefiting us. 

We all know he wants to manage an elite club, but at the minute, turning us into one is his best and most attractive chance to get that. 

Nigel and co started off with a blank state and accidentally built a Premier League winning team. Ranieri perfected it, Shakeu maintained it, Puel, err, maintained and added to it too. Brendan, Davies and Kolo have a club with high hopes, low expectations in the club and fanbase, an incredible recruitment team, the best owner in the world and the best training ground in Europe coming soon. 

• Like 1