Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Starmer Next Labour Leader

20 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Leader

1st Round: Starmer 56.2%, Long-Bailey 27.6%, Nandy 16.2%

Deputy

1st Round: Rayner 41.7%, Burgon 17.3%, Allin-Khan 16.8%, Murray 13.3%, Butler 10.9%

[...]

3rd Round: Rayner 52.6%, Allin-Khan 26.1%, Burgon 21.3%

I'm a bit disappointed that Nandy & Murray didn't do a bit better than that, but results pretty much as expected.

Good news that both results were clear-cut, so there's no excuse for factional quibbling. Both Starmer & Rayner have a strong party electoral mandate.

Good news, also, that the Corbynista vote was only 20%-odd: 27.6% for Long-Bailey, 21.3% for Burgon with Butler eliminated - Long-Bailey correctly viewed as having a bit more credibility than Burgon!

I'm still not sure that Starmer will seem the right choice in 4 years, but who knows what the country or the world will be like in 4 years? 

He probably will seem a good choice in the short-term, while this crisis is ongoing - calm & intelligent with good attention to detail, even if he's not inspiring or charismatic. Should help re-establish some credibility short-term......

Even a year's time is like looking into a very different, unpredictable world....never mind 4 years.

In 4 years, things might be chaotic & disastrous in various ways or they might have settled down - and the Tory Govt might be seen (rightly or wrongly) as culpable for any disasters or as having handled things competently.

A very convincing victory, that.

3 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

The notion that Labour could get anywhere near what they need in Scotland anytime soon is proper ostrich stuff. 

Good luck with places like Nuneaton too

I wasn’t saying it was going to happen or even likely, just not impossible. With what’s happening in the here and now, there is a chance to put real pressure on. 

9 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

The notion that Labour could get anywhere near what they need in Scotland anytime soon is proper ostrich stuff. 

Such progress is a long way off now, certainly. But an awful lot can happen in 4 years - and an awful lot more than usual is going to happen, for better or worse, because of this crisis. 

The political and economic consequences of that are hard to foresee at this stage - and could make a quick Labour comeback harder, as well as easier.

But I remember after the 1992 election, when Labour lost their 4th election in a row, there was a lot of debate over whether Labour could ever win an election again.....along came Black Wednesday & Tony Blair & a landslide win in 1997.

Anyway, we all have enough to focus on short-term at this stage....

Guest MattP
15 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

They don't understand the cultural shift that has happened either side of the border. The working class vote hasn't left Labour, Labour left it's working class vote, it urbanised the party and came to a internal conclusion nothing matters outside the cities.

As for Scotland, why would you vote Labour instead of the SNP when the latter has pretty much come in line with the nationalists on every policy and now doesn't even rule out bringing them into government? The Tories and Lib Dems are the only Unionist parties left up there.

Speaking of it, reminds me of this classic.

11 minutes ago, MattP said:

They don't understand the cultural shift that has happened either side of the border. The working class vote hasn't left Labour, Labour left it's working class vote, it urbanised the party and came to a internal conclusion nothing matters outside the cities.

As for Scotland, why would you vote Labour instead of the SNP when the latter has pretty much come in line with the nationalists on every policy and now doesn't even rule out bringing them into government? The Tories and Lib Dems are the only Unionist parties left up there.

Speaking of it, reminds me of this classic.

Quite, I suspect people that think Labour has any chance of getting where it needs to in Scotland haven't spoken to many people in Scotland, much less favourable opinions than even south of the border. We've seen with Ruth Davidson how much of an effect Scottish party leaders can have but the Scottish Labour leader is truly awful so that's not gonna happen either.

17 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Such progress is a long way off now, certainly. But an awful lot can happen in 4 years - and an awful lot more than usual is going to happen, for better or worse, because of this crisis. 

The political and economic consequences of that are hard to foresee at this stage - and could make a quick Labour comeback harder, as well as easier.

But I remember after the 1992 election, when Labour lost their 4th election in a row, there was a lot of debate over whether Labour could ever win an election again.....along came Black Wednesday & Tony Blair & a landslide win in 1997.

Anyway, we all have enough to focus on short-term at this stage....

Straws are nice to clutch but the next few years are about not getting any worse, steadying the ship and building some foundations to stop Rishi having a giant party on the 50th anniversary of Thatcher

I'm sad that Andy Burnham was not in a position to be leader this time. He's been shown to be a very capable leader in Manchester, getting them through some tough times showing strong political leadership (compared to London for example). 

• Like 2

I've been really impressed every time I've seen Allin - Khan in the media and from being a relative unknown a few months ago to finish second in the deputy leadership race is some achievement. As a practicing GP as well she has a great back story for these times and seems like an absolute force of nature. 

Hopefully her, Nandy etc get big jobs in the shadow cabinet as I think they'll play really well with the non partisan general public. 

• Like 3

Labour - who Jezbolah has been telling us is the only party fighting for social justice - is now the only political party in Britain that has never had a female leader.

Except for the BNP.

Who are also the only other party in Britain to be investigated by the EHRC for institutionalised racism.

Legacy.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Labour - who Jezbolah has been telling us is the only party fighting for social justice - is now the only political party in Britain that has never had a female leader.

Except for the BNP.

Who are also the only other party in Britain to be investigated by the EHRC for institutionalised racism.

Legacy.

So you want a female leader for the sake of it? Never had you down as a SJW.

They’ve had two female leaders anyway: Harriet Harman and Margaret Beckett.

10 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

That doesn't fit the agenda :ph34r:

12 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Intrim leaders count about as much as David Nugent‘s penalty’s.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

It’s a leader regardless. It was a stupid response to a stupid statement. 

No one except pillocks think you need women leading everything to be an equal and just society. I see more of this shite than I do people actually suggesting it, it’s as bad as the freaks on Twitter and Tumblr who actually suggest it.

So in terms of setting an example of equality, it’s a pretty big deal imho. Meritocracy should always be first, but it is wrong to discard the benefits of a strong role model on youth for both sexes.

Guest MattP
1 hour ago, Finnaldo said:

I'd pay money to hear someone say that to Jess Phillips lol

Guest MattP
1 hour ago, Tuna said:

Dodds yes, never heard of the other two.

Bloody hell.

That's a serious break with the past, I was expecting him to relaunch a similar cabinet to what Ed Miliband had.

2 hours ago, Tuna said:

Dodds yes, never heard of the other two.

Sensible to go with fresh blood, Dodds and Stevens have always come across as highly competant, never heard of the other chap but it can't be a bad thing for the party having two welsh MP's in frontline shadow positions.

5 minutes ago, Bilo said:

Abbot said she won't stand as Shadow Home Secretary again, so I imagine Starmer allowed himself to fist pump himself when he herd that. 

The next task is for him to send Richard Burgon out to buy some tartan paint and some spirit level bubbles. That will keep him busy for months..

Typical tories

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MattP said:

Bloody hell.

That's a serious break with the past, I was expecting him to relaunch a similar cabinet to what Ed Miliband had.

Shrewd appointments if true.

Dodds is extremely competent and well-respected, Stevens voted against a second referendum and Thomas-Symonds has a brain the size of a truck.

Crucially, none are Londoners or associated with any previous leader. Clearly Starmer is determined to build his own team.