Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Daniele Rugani

3 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Think of any top class CB’s around 30 who weren’t top class CB’s at 25/26 ?

Does big wes count? 

7 minutes ago, Fktf said:

Does big wes count? 

Not imo ......despite what he achieved, he isn’t a top class CB .....a top class CB has to play regularly for one of the top European clubs or ‘top six’ here or a top international side ...

Edited by st albans fox

4 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Not imo ......despite what he achieved, he isn’t a top class CB .....a top class CB has to play regularly for one of the top European clubs or ‘top six’ here or a top international side ...

Barzagli? 

I take your point by the way, just enjoying answering the question. There must be one or two that came good late on in their career, but certainly not many. 

20 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

As Not imo ......despite what he achieved, he isn’t a top class CB .....a top class CB has to play regularly for one of the top European clubs or ‘top six’ here or a top international side ...

33 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Think of any top class CB’s around 30 who weren’t top class CB’s at 25/26 ?

My point is CBs around 30 seem to read the game better and are more assured around that age, Elliot,Walsh,Taggart, Morgan and Evans alone spring to mind that’s just for Leicester, definitely better with experience.

Tony Adams and Keown at Arsenal, was fantastic

John Terry at Chelsea.

2 minutes ago, dayday said:

My point is CBs around 30 seem to read the game better and are more assured around that age, Elliot,Walsh,Taggart, Morgan and Evans alone spring to mind that’s just for Leicester, definitely better with experience.

Tony Adams and Keown at Arsenal, was fantastic

John Terry at Chelsea.

Im not disputing CB’s  get better with experience .....I’m saying that if they aren’t top class at 25 then they are unlikely to make it to that level by 30 

adams and Terry were england regulars in their mid twenties ....

keown was at Everton at 25 and moved to arsenal at 27 so he’s a possibility although I’m not sure how much he improved post 25

the Lcfc quartet were terrific players for us but none were top class CB’s 

jonny Evans won league titles at yanited before he was 25 

• Like 2

On 30 March 2019, Rugani extended his contract with Juventus, keeping him at the club until June 2023.

If he's so crap, why did they extend his contract last year?

Never seen him play, so I know nothing. Only suggesting a loan deal.

51 minutes ago, enmac said:

On 30 March 2019, Rugani extended his contract with Juventus, keeping him at the club until June 2023.

If he's so crap, why did they extend his contract last year?

Never seen him play, so I know nothing. Only suggesting a loan deal.

The whole ‘crap’ thing has come from a few posts on twitter and from ‘juve fans’ not sure it needs to be taken into consideration. He’s clearly not crap if he can get into the serie A team of the year and like you said had his contract extended at Juve. 

• Like 2

The only fly in the ointment on a loan deal here is whether Juve would really loan Rugani out when they have so many injuries on their back line.  From our perspective it's a no-brainer.  From theirs, it's not so clear-cut.

7 hours ago, Pliskin said:

He’s not crap. He’s just out of favour at the moment, I’m sure he is a more than capable defender. A new setting, new manager, and playing with a confident young team will bring all of his qualities out.

Crap defenders are rife at big clubs

• Like 1

Is this lad, young Italy international, better than or even better able to compete for a place in our 18, currently than Morgan and Benković? If the answer is ‘yes’ (which it is) then get this guy in on a loan for the rest of the season. No brainer. He looks a perfect option for our current situation 

14 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Its not that. But it is the head scouts job to set the criteria and make the big decisions. Its just frustrating that any skeptical comment in the transfer section is met with a wave of responses saying 'trust the scouting network'. Obviously we all hope to be proved wrong but im not going to pretend im not worried about Congerton.  

personally i dont think he will be setting the criteria. everything that is coming out of the club is about building on the culture that it already in place. i would expect little to change in the way we recruit, just that congerton is head of the team, as someone left when puel left and there was a role needed filling.

also i think alot of his past rep was built on a free spending sunderland that seemed to be controlled more by the manager than anyone at board level, and celtic, where budget ruled most of the time.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

The whole ‘crap’ thing has come from a few posts on twitter and from ‘juve fans’ not sure it needs to be taken into consideration. He’s clearly not crap if he can get into the serie A team of the year and like you said had his contract extended at Juve. 

You clearly put little value on fan opinion when they watch players week in week out. It's not a few tweets, it's every tweet that offers an opinion on him. I've yet to see a positive one but have seen dozen and dozens of negative ones.

To Juventus he is surplus, there are 4 CB's way ahead of him and his only appearances this season is one Serie A game and a couple of CL games when they had already qualified. If you look at the "big six" clubs in England's 5th choice CB's then you may get an idea of his level. 

I would say based on the current evidence he is much more likely to be in a competition with Morgan and Benkovic for third choice CB than a threat to Evans and Soyuncu for their starting places. 

Edited by Gerard

1 minute ago, Gerard said:

I would say based on the current evidence he is much more likely to be in a competition with Morgan and Benkovic for third choice CB than a threat to Evans and Soyuncu for their starting places. 

Isn't that exactly what we are looking for a the moment?

Just now, Babylon said:

Isn't that exactly what we are looking for a the moment?

If it's a loan then yes.

If it's a buy then we want someone to challenge Evans and Soyuncu for their place. Demiral would have been fantastic for us but he's played that well for Juventus he's now going to play a lot of first team games.

We sometimes play three at the back, we'll play about 50 games next season so we can afford to have three top CB's and keep all three of them happy as even with 50 games they could average 33 games each next season. 

19 minutes ago, Gerard said:

You clearly put little value on fan opinion when they watch players week in week out. It's not a few tweets, it's every tweet that offers an opinion on him. I've yet to see a positive one but have seen dozen and dozens of negative ones.

To Juventus he is surplus, there are 4 CB's way ahead of him and his only appearances this season is one Serie A game and a couple of CL games when they had already qualified. If you look at the "big six" clubs in England's 5th choice CB's then you may get an idea of his level. 

If I see a well reasoned Juventus fan put together a proper argument on why he’s shit then I’d be more inclined to believe it but when the current evidence is a few posts on twitter and Facebook by accounts named ‘Bonnuci’sSon’ and ‘Ronaldo’sRightFoot’ I have very little interest. I’m not saying he’s any good or rubbish I just find it confusing that fans get so embroiled in pointless information before he’s even joined. Just gives people a negative outlook on the player before he’s even played. Little bit like ghezzal. He’s shit, but a majority of fans decided he was shit and almost hoped he was shot before he’d even played so it suited what they had read previously. But I guess that’s their prerogative. 

• Like 1

Guys come on, I understand the argument many are making.

But to have made it in a Juventus squad for a few years now as a centre back takes some doing. Arguably Juventus have had some of the best centre backs in the past decade & to even push for a starting place there you’ve got to have something about you. He’s no VVD no, however prior to this season Rugani has made 15+ appearances a season for Juve. For me you’ve got to have something about you for that statistic alone.

Don’t get me wrong I personally would prefer Demiral out of the two however if that deal isn’t do able then so be it. I’m personally happy that we’re looking at taking “squad” players of huge clubs like Juventus.

The lad is also only 23 years old, with Brendan’s knowledge & some one to one training with Kolo we could have a real player our hands. All I’m saying is don’t judge a book by its cover.

Edited by Bluearmyfox28
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

I’m personally happy that we’re looking at taking “squad” players of huge clubs like Juventus.

The lad is also only 23 years old

Ah, otherwise known as the "Everton model". 

He's 25. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Gerard said:

Ah, otherwise known as the "Everton model". 

He's 25. 

My mistake got the age wrong. But not at all. Everton just go for anyone similar to West Ham. I trust our scouting system & personally won’t sign someone off before we’ve even signed them (if we do sign him).