Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Daniele Rugani

From the Telegraph, but not Percy, so pinch of salt time:

Brendan Rodgers ponders move for Juventus centre-back

Leicester manager Brendan Rodgers is weighing up a move for Juventus centre-back Daniele Rugani as he looks for competition at the heart of his defence.

The Foxes have asked about Rugani and team-mate Merih Demiral as neither are figuring in Maurizio Sarri’s plans for the Italian champions.   

They are considering a move for one of Sarri’s centre-backs when the January transfer window opens, with Rodgers looking to bolster a defence that has relied on Jonny Evans and Caglar Soyuncu this season. 

Premier League clubs are expected to rival them for either players, however, when they become available. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/12/22/mike-mcgraths-transfer-notebook-manchester-united-eye-birmingham/

tbf, given they're used to the likes of Chiellini, Bonucci and Barzagli, it's probably fair to say that Juve fans have slightly different standards for a centre half.

I doubt we should be too upset being linked to a fully capped Italian international with seventy odd games for Juve under his belt.

• Like 2

This really should be taken with the absolute biggest punch of salt.

If Rugani truly is “on the market”: 
1. much bigger teams than us, from right across Europe, will be in for him.

2. There would be very little chance of him wanting to come to “little Leicester”

3. He would absolutely expect to be a guaranteed starter in our team, so would fans be happy with one of Cags or Evans being permanently dropped?

Not getting regular starts for Juventus, who regularly win Serie A, and get to the latter stages of the Champions League is one thing, not being 1st choice at Leicester is totally another.

This one will not happen.

1 minute ago, City1884 said:

This really should be taken with the absolute biggest punch of salt.

If Rugani truly is “on the market”: 
1. much bigger teams than us, from right across Europe, will be in for him.

2. There would be very little chance of him wanting to come to “little Leicester”

3. He would absolutely expect to be a guaranteed starter in our team, so would fans be happy with one of Cags or Evans being permanently dropped?

Not getting regular starts for Juventus, who regularly win Serie A, and get to the latter stages of the Champions League is one thing, not being 1st choice at Leicester is totally another.

This one will not happen.

He was once highly rated but now considered a flop for Juventus's standard.

https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/the-stalled-progress-of-juventus-defender-daniele-rugani

3 minutes ago, Gerard said:

He was once highly rated but now considered a flop for Juventus's standard.

https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/the-stalled-progress-of-juventus-defender-daniele-rugani

He was once one of the most highly rated young defenders in world football, but yes, his progress stalled, and he became more of a back up option for Juventus.

Doesn’t mean that there wouldn’t be a whole host of top clubs that wouldn’t  jump at the chance to sign him.

Just in England, I could imagine the likes of Arsenal, Man Utd, & Spurs considering bids at the right sort of price.

His agent will have no trouble finding bigger clubs than us willing to take him, if he indeed does leave Juve.

We would be a long way down the pecking order.

3 minutes ago, City1884 said:

He was once one of the most highly rated young defenders in world football, but yes, his progress stalled, and he became more of a back up option for Juventus.

Doesn’t mean that there wouldn’t be a whole host of top clubs that wouldn’t  jump at the chance to sign him.

Just in England, I could imagine the likes of Arsenal, Man Utd, & Spurs considering bids at the right sort of price.

His agent will have no trouble finding bigger clubs than us willing to take him, if he indeed does leave Juve.

You'll find a lot of Juventus fans who don't rate him at all.

Now obviously their standards are very high but Rugani might be one of these players who were highly rated as youngsters and never make the grade and his standard may end up being mid table but other clubs will buy him because of his history.

I don't know but I always look on these players moving downwards at the age of 25 with a certain amount of skepticism. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Demiral is the man, Turks on twitter rate him higher than Soyuncu. He's also only 21 and would be a player who would probably be happy to be a squad player for half a season and back himself to force his way in. 

I'm with you. Think he would also give us an option to change to a back 3 as he is quick like cags and good with the ball at his feet. 

• Like 2

Either would be good.

Perhaps we're anticipating defensive changes in the next 12-18 months - Evans' age getting the better of him, Soyuncu being picked off by a bigger club. 

Or just perhaps more depth. Morgan will retire soon or just not be up to scratch in this league any more. Not seen much of Benkovic so going in to next season if we lose Soyunco or Evans, through a sale or just injury, we're left quite short in that department.

8 hours ago, City1884 said:

Wow!

I hope Rudkin doesn't have that attitude.

4 hours ago, StanSP said:

Either would be good.

Perhaps we're anticipating defensive changes in the next 12-18 months - Evans' age getting the better of him, Soyuncu being picked off by a bigger club. 

Or just perhaps more depth. Morgan will retire soon or just not be up to scratch in this league any more. Not seen much of Benkovic so going in to next season if we lose Soyunco or Evans, through a sale or just injury, we're left quite short in that department.

I think it's the latter. I think Evans' and Soyuncu's places are safe - we just need more cover. It's probably Wes's last season at this level, and Benko's not been involved at all for whatever reason. We'll be very thin on the ground with just one injury or suspension at CB. Plus, Rodgers likes to go 3 at the back sometimes, so I think having at least 5x CBs in the squad is wise, especially if we're planning for a European campaign. I think we'll be after someone to be 3rd choice.

43 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Out of curiosity and not trying to mug you off but have you seen either of them play 90 minutes?

It's a fair question and one which I often ask others.

I've seen more of Rugani than Demiral.

Rugani has become infamous for making mistakes. He's like an Italian John Stones (without Stones' poise) but hasn't been able to con his way into regular football with the country's best team. Juve fans want rid which is usually a pretty good barometer. 

• Like 3