Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
brucey

AFCON being moved back to January

3 minutes ago, adejo92 said:

My humor might be that poor, but my geography isn't!

Probably wasn't worded the best but yes, it was in reference to Soyuncu picking up an injury on international duty that subsequently caused him to miss a number of games during an important period for us. I don't mind the tournament itself, but why play it during the domestic club season where a single injury can have a massive effect on a clubs whole season?

If some one like Ndidi was to get a similar injury, and is ruled out for 3 or so months like Soyuncu, again it is a massive disadvantage for us at an important time of the season.

I know we aren't the only team with this issue, but still.

Because it isn’t the domestic club season in a lot of, if not most of the world? Only really in the big European leagues.

3 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

Because it isn’t the domestic club season in a lot of, if not most of the world? Only really in the big European leagues.

Where all the money & attention generally is. I'd say there's a lot more at stake for the 'Big European Leagues' and i'd argue most of the interest for the AFCON comes from people wanting to see the likes of Salah, Mane, Mahrez etc..

Edited by adejo92
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, adejo92 said:

Where all the money & attention generally is. I'd say there's a lot more at stake for the 'Big European Leagues' and i'd argue most of the interest for the AFCON comes from people wanting to see the likes of Salah, Mane, Mahrez etc..

I’d also argue that the interests of the big European leagues would be of less concern to the local football associations than the interests of their own leagues and the practicalities of hosting AFCON

19 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

I’d also argue that the interests of the big European leagues would be of less concern to the local football associations than the interests of their own leagues and the practicalities of hosting AFCON

Good point well made.

On 17/08/2021 at 17:06, oxford blue said:

Watford could lose up to 7 players from their squad; their absence may be difference between survival & relegation. Does not seem to be best recruitment policy...

Not ideal but think we have more players to come in or players in the squad already.

Losing Sarr will be a big one- particularly if he and Dennis carry on combining well.

But it’s a while off !

On 20/08/2021 at 09:54, Les-TA-Jon said:

So will we be losing Ndidi, Nacho, Mendy and Amartey for 4-6 weeks? 

Definitely 2-3  it depends how far they get. I think the max we could lose a player for (excluding injury) is 5 weeks 

Fa cup 3. burnley, brighton, fa cup 4, liverpool, (although liverpool is 3 days after the final, I v much doubt any player in the final would be able to turn out a couple days later) 

looking at those fixtures, we will hopefully cope ……

• Like 1

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Definitely 2-3  it depends how far they get. I think the max we could lose a player for (excluding injury) is 5 weeks 

Fa cup 3. burnley, brighton, fa cup 4, liverpool, (although liverpool is 3 days after the final, I v much doubt any player in the final would be able to turn out a couple days later) 

looking at those fixtures, we will hopefully cope ……

+Daka will be gone? 

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, KFS said:

I respect our African friend’s competition and reasoning for holding this mid season. As someone who puts club before my own country, I’m buzzing if they’ve called this off. 

Don't worry boss I'm African from Morocco and the majority of us wanted it in summer.... Fifa wanted it in January bc of the stupid world cup coming up. 

• Like 1