Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LinekersLugs

NETFLIX RECOMMENDATIONS: stuff to watch

I thought Squid Games was decent but probably not fully deserving of the praise it's getting. Feels like there are a few too many loose ends.

What happened to the 14 people who didn't come back after The Front Man dramatically told the staff to keep an eye on them? Why did 001 vote to end the games if he was having fun for the first time in forever?

This one really bugs me though: the North Korean girl beat every round fairly and was effectively killed by the game anyway, but they made a big deal about it being completely fair as long as the players didn't break the rules.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Hollism said:

I thought Squid Games was decent but probably not fully deserving of the praise it's getting. Feels like there are a few too many loose ends.

What happened to the 14 people who didn't come back after The Front Man dramatically told the staff to keep an eye on them? Why did 001 vote to end the games if he was having fun for the first time in forever?

This one really bugs me though: the North Korean girl beat every round fairly and was effectively killed by the game anyway, but they made a big deal about it being completely fair as long as the players didn't break the rules.

Thanks for the spoiler alert 😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hollism said:

Oops. Well that saves me struggling through, after watching the first episode and kinda getting into it, even though the dubbing was off-putting. Maybe would have been better if Craig Charles had been narrating.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Hollism said:

The director has said that he knows there are loose ends to tie up and he will do so in season 2 (and you know there will be season 2) Like 'what happened to the copper?' 

One of the markers of a good program (for me anyway) is that any plot deficiencies are quickly brushed aside. Or stated t'other way round, when I find myself  picking holes in the plot then I know I've gone off the show.

I reckon you could pick holes in the plots of most shows/films, and there'll always be unanswered questions. Squid Game is no different. For me though, this didn't effect my enjoyment 

Edited by drumbeat

Third season of You. 

The second season was a bit of let down compared to season 1, and considering Joe is a pretty good anti-hero to start with, just becomes more and more pathetic as the story unfolds - nothing has changed at the start of season three, he’s just a ridiculous man, and it actually turns out his wife is now the more interesting character really. I’m going to stick with it because I’ve just got to the first major cover up of season 3 and I’m interested to see what they do with it - but I still just get the feeling they should have canned it after season 2 considering they made a massive meal of that after season 1 was so good. 

On 13/10/2021 at 14:44, Hollism said:

I think that’s the scope for Series 2. That second series could be a very different type of programme but you just know they will go with the easier route of more ‘games’ 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I think that’s the scope for Series 2. That second series could be a very different type of programme but you just know they will go with the easier route of more ‘games’ 

I honestly think a prequel would be so much more interesting than any sequel series could be. I’d better not post any more spoilers but I’ll just say I’m not that bothered what happens after the final scenes of S1 lol

• Like 1

On 13/10/2021 at 14:44, Hollism said:

**SPOILERS FOR SQUID GAME** (I don't know how to put spoiler warnings in),

That's supposed to be the point - the same with the fact they said the players "consented", when they clearly weren't told what being eliminated meant - and were then told "well, it was worse in the real world, wasn't it and you chose to come back?" when they only chose it because their lives had been shafted outside of their control in a similar economic system in the outside world.

Note: How it's all the rich people saying the game must be fair so the rich people can bet on them in a fair way - and then telling the poor people it's fair and they consented to it when it clearly isn't. Number 1 was also never in any threat of dying (he wasn't locked into the tug of war like other players were, the site of the Red Light, Green Light girl doesn't pick him up like it does other players, and then obviously he wasn't killed like other players when he failed a task) so it clearly was rigged in the rich person's favour.

It's supposed to be a satire of how poor people are kept in their place by the rich in society but are told it's a fair meritocracy when it isn't and that they are told you consent to this society and that you can leave anytime, when in reality you can't.

As for the 14 people who didn't come back - the common theory seems to be they were drafted back in as staff - note how at the start when they're doing that game in the train station with the recruiter, he asks him whether he wants to choose red or green. General assumption seems to be if he'd chose red he'd become a staff member. The staff are as much poor people who are being exploited and forced into this and made to be brainless workers who get killed if they don't follow the rules as the contestants are.

And number 1 voted because he wanted to show people they had that choice to make them think that it was a choice when in reality it wasn't (I think he even says this in the final episode),

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2

On 11/10/2021 at 12:05, drumbeat said:

Much to my surprise, I'm enjoying Squid Game very much indeed. In fact, one particular episode (and I'll not say which) is amongst the best telly I've ever watched, just for sheer emotional impact. Very simple but very effective. 

It's impossible to watch without seeing the allegory. 

Some strong words there. Ever watch the first season of Mr. Robot? Still on the fence with squid. Probably going to jump now with all the positivity.

2 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Ever watch the first season of Mr. Robot? 

Yes, I watched it & loved it. I recall one series disappointed a little but I stuck with it. Series 1 was was the best (IMHO) but then it was always going to be a  hard act to follow. There's not too many shows that can maintain the momentum over several series,  knowing when to call time.

Coincidentally, I was going to mention another Sam Ismail show,  Homecoming, which I'm watching at the moment. That's very stylish and has a Mr Robot complexity about it. It's classed as a 'conspiracy thriller' and, at the moment, it's equally enthralling and bafflingly. That there's conspiracy at it's heart is clear - but where? And what is it?

With Squid Games, I think there's a deceptive simplicity to it. My wife cannot watch violence of any kind, to the point of switching off,  but stayed the distance. There's a reason for it being a touch gruesome (personally, I think the comments on it's violence are a little overdone and arguably miss the point) It's not cerebral by any stretch but it is very obviously knowing and pointed IMO. I thought of the phrase 'dark Disney' for it, because it has that surface level story and a simple (simplistic?)  message to it; not 'true love conquers all' nor anything saccharinous like that but something searing commentary on poverty and cruelty, and how we all can be forced into that 'game' either literally or metaphorically.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Raj said:

Colin in  black and white.

Brilliant. Really interes6 and bang upto date.

Some people wont like hearing what he has to say but personally  I can relate to it all.

Watch it.

Watched the first episode and didn’t like it so not bothered. I’ll probably end up going back to it and watching all of it at some point. 

From the 1 episode I watched he didn’t portray  his step mother in good light. 

16 hours ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Watched the first episode and didn’t like it so not bothered. I’ll probably end up going back to it and watching all of it at some point. 

From the 1 episode I watched he didn’t portray  his step mother in good light. 

You should stick with it. It portrays white privilege well😁😁😁

Edited by Raj