Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LinekersLugs

NETFLIX RECOMMENDATIONS: stuff to watch

Bit late to the party, but....

Just finished The Queen's Gambit.

Absolutely loved it!

Bought a chess set right after. Hadn't played in quite some time and never really knew about all the different strategies, so I'm enjoying learning the game more now.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, spacemunky said:

Bit late to the party, but....

Just finished The Queen's Gambit.

Absolutely loved it!

Bought a chess set right after. Hadn't played in quite some time and never really knew about all the different strategies, so I'm enjoying learning the game more now.

There's some great chess content on YouTube and Twitch nowadays. Get yourself on chess.com or lichess.com too for puzzles and online play. 

From Agadmator analysing top games, Daniel Naroditsky's speedruns/teaching videos, Eric Rosen's soothing voice, Hikaru Nakamura's all round top level play, to the Botez sisters' funny content. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/06/2021 at 19:01, Livid said:

I started on Sweet Tooth last night out of boredom more than anything, not sure if it’s really my thing but it’s an incredibly well made series. 

I watched this and really enjoyed it. Hope they do a second season. Didn't realise it was directed by Robert Downey Jr. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, rico said:

Anyone watched the Fear Street trilogy?

i though 1994 and 1978 were decent but 1666 a bit meh.....

Watched all 3

hated the characters in part one, which made it unenjoyable.

Part 2 was better, and I agree with you about part 3 - meh.

interesting concept.

for me they got off to a really bad start, which may have ruined some of the enjoyment of the final 2

Edited by marbles
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, nnfox said:

Probably going to give Sky Sports News a miss tonight, looking for a series to start on Netflix/Prime/Disney.  Any suggestions?

If you've not seen both seasons of the Boys or watched Invincible yet then both are must watches.  Lower Decks is good too and easy viewing at only 25m an episode.  If you want something a bit more dramatic then I will always recommend the Expanse.  All available on Prime.  

• Like 1

If anyone hasn’t seen Das Boot, the Sky Germany tv series I highly recommend it. It’s incredible, got me googling every week to see when series 3 is coming out 😅 It’s set a few months after the end of the original Das Boot film I believe, but it’s not all u-boats - it’s a proper ww2 thriller. So much more immersive and authentic with the use of German and French (some English too, so not all subtitles). You’ll get hooked 👍

Edited by What the Fuchs?

I know I'm repeating myself but I can't recommend Man in the High Castle enough. Ignore the Sci fi aspect, imagine if the Axis powers had won WW2. Germany occupies the East Coast of America and Japan the West. There's the resistance, there's Nazi America with 60s kitsch, the threat of nuclear war between Japan and Germany. Its compelling. 

• Like 3

Just started watching Brooklyn Nine Nine. Never saw it before and wanted to see what the fuss was about. Only about 22mins per episode so thought I'd give it a go. After the first couple of episodes I thought I'm not going to get into this, but I carried on and to be fair it's not too bad. 

As for other things to watch, as I said before I would recommend The Kingdom! Absolutely fantastic series! Series 5 drops soon (might be Dec or Jan?) and well worth a binge. Also Walking Dead, The Orville and Prison Break. To be honest I'm not a massive TV fan and I know that 1 or 2 of these are quite old but these are the only series I've ever watched but I did enjoy them. 

I have tried a few other things in the past but if it doesn't pull me in after the first couple of episodes I give up. 

On 03/09/2021 at 11:42, Webbo said:

I know I'm repeating myself but I can't recommend Man in the High Castle enough. Ignore the Sci fi aspect, imagine if the Axis powers had won WW2. Germany occupies the East Coast of America and Japan the West. There's the resistance, there's Nazi America with 60s kitsch, the threat of nuclear war between Japan and Germany. Its compelling. 

I am also repeating myself but I will second this again.  There is nothing on TV quite like it and the cold war spy feel to the series is just brilliant. 

John Smith has got to be the greatest character on TV with the most unoriginal name.   I got his wife as my current avatar 😍

• Like 1

On 03/09/2021 at 12:27, SeCrEt FoX said:

Just started watching Brooklyn Nine Nine. Never saw it before and wanted to see what the fuss was about. Only about 22mins per episode so thought I'd give it a go. After the first couple of episodes I thought I'm not going to get into this, but I carried on and to be fair it's not too bad. 

As for other things to watch, as I said before I would recommend The Kingdom! Absolutely fantastic series! Series 5 drops soon (might be Dec or Jan?) and well worth a binge. Also Walking Dead, The Orville and Prison Break. To be honest I'm not a massive TV fan and I know that 1 or 2 of these are quite old but these are the only series I've ever watched but I did enjoy them. 

I have tried a few other things in the past but if it doesn't pull me in after the first couple of episodes I give up. 

B99 gets better in later seasons as it finds its feet and figured which running jokes hit the mark.   They also nailed the character developments and building on the running jokes as well which is great.  

• Like 1

The reboot of Wrong Turn. The first lot were, let's be honest, crap and this one started off the same way, your standard slasher, gory, trite American stereotype teens, hillbillys etc but then halfway through it almost became an Ari Aster film and it was actually really, really good. First half of the film was like 4/10 but thought the second half was genuinely like an 8.5, without some really odd decisions by characters right towards the end even higher. I'd definitely recommend it though, if you can get through the start maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised, like me. 

On 03/09/2021 at 11:42, Webbo said:

I watched it for a while and got really into it, but it got a little too far fetched for my liking, kind of ruined the alternate history vibe with the sci of type stuff, without wishing to ruin any plot lines for anyone. Might have to carry on with it and give it another chance at some stage though