Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LinekersLugs

NETFLIX RECOMMENDATIONS: stuff to watch

On 04/10/2021 at 12:46, rico said:

On episode 4 of The Chestnut Man, very good - 8/10 on IMDB

The Chestnut Man is set in the quiet suburb of Copenhagen, where the police make a terrible discovery one blustery October morning. A young woman is found brutally murdered in a playground and one of her hands is missing. Above her hangs a small man made of chestnuts. The ambitious young detective Naia Thulin is assigned to the case, along with her new partner, Mark Hess. They soon discover a mysterious piece of evidence on the chestnut man evidence connecting it to a girl who went missing a year earlier and was presumed dead - the daughter of politician Rosa Hartung.

I though The Chestnut Man was excellent. 

Midnight Mass I found watchable but it never really grabbed me. 

• Like 1

On 07/10/2021 at 21:25, Livid said:

I though The Chestnut Man was excellent. 

Midnight Mass I found watchable but it never really grabbed me. 

Really enjoyed Midnight Mass, a good take on a well worn genre. Some of the makeup on the older characters though.. 😶

• Like 2

6 hours ago, theessexfox said:

I enjoyed Squid Game, but there's some glaring plot holes and it annoys me how long it takes for them to form groups / pair up / decide on an order before each task

Apparently, if you watch it in Korean with English subtitles, it's supposed to make a lot more sense, not for me though, never liked reading the book instead of watching the film.

9 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Apparently, if you watch it in Korean with English subtitles, it's supposed to make a lot more sense, not for me though, never liked reading the book instead of watching the film.

Yeah I did this - I hate watching with an English dub! Apparently there are some issues with the subtitles, but generally much prefer it that way

Much to my surprise, I'm enjoying Squid Game very much indeed. In fact, one particular episode (and I'll not say which) is amongst the best telly I've ever watched, just for sheer emotional impact. Very simple but very effective. 

It's impossible to watch without seeing the allegory. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, theessexfox said:

Yeah I did this - I hate watching with an English dub! Apparently there are some issues with the subtitles, but generally much prefer it that way

I think the translation issues are more with the close caption than the subtitles, though I guess it depends on who provided the subtitles. I don't speak Korean but I'm finding nothing weird about the subtitles I'm using.

1 hour ago, drumbeat said:

I think the translation issues are more with the close caption than the subtitles, though I guess it depends on who provided the subtitles. I don't speak Korean but I'm finding nothing weird about the subtitles I'm using.

Yeah agreed, there was a lot of commentary about the poor subtitles until the author of those tweets realised it was the closed caption rather than the English. There are still a few subtleties lost in translation apparently, such as the way the guy from Pakistan addresses others (slightly lost in just translating it as ‘sir’) and the meaning of the Korean phrase in the marbles game, but broadly was good for me too

2 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

I thought everyone watched it in Korean with English subs? 

3 hours ago, drumbeat said:

Much to my surprise, I'm enjoying Squid Game very much indeed. In fact, one particular episode (and I'll not say which) is amongst the best telly I've ever watched, just for sheer emotional impact. Very simple but very effective. 

Yep, I know the one you're talking about...and yep, one of the best 60 minutes or so of tv I've watched in ages.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 19:09, Dahnsouff said:

After it, Craig Charles on MXC felt like an insult

MXC: Most Extreme Elimination Challenge on the other hand... one of the best things to happen on TV.

On 11/10/2021 at 17:05, drumbeat said:

The marbles episode?  Agreed.

On 11/10/2021 at 19:14, Unabomber said:

I thought everyone watched it in Korean with English subs? 

Yeah, translation differences aside idk why you'd watch it with cartoony dubbing, show's too mature for anime sounding voice actors.

Edited by Carl the Llama
  • Like 1